Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Not here to help

Re: A week in Japan! Where to visit?

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Also no one's mentioned Ghibli Museum yet. Also for some the National Railway Museum in Saitama is a must-see.

Basically, all depends on what you're interested in.
    Ghibli is a must for any real Disney fan that liked the western releases of hit movies like Ponyo and Spirited Away.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Here is a link to my strategy for TDS. It was in summer, so you have to take that into account. Also important is that we did not feel the need to do TSM since we've done it a bunch of times in the USA.

Tokyo Disney Sea Trip Report (Long): Summer Fun in the Heat, Late August 2012

TDL is similar to the US Parks, with Pooh's Hunny Hunt being the only important difference. I would go on this first, and I would also recommend getting FPs for this, as I think it's a good idea to ride it twice. Who knows when you'll be back?

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    TDL is similar to the US Parks, with Pooh's Hunny Hunt being the only important difference
    Not too sure I would agree to this statement.

TDL has the daily morning dash, which in reality is an all out sprint. I don't see that at the US parks.

TDL has huge queues for multiple attraction's just to get FastPasses.

I'm guessing that this statement also is only refering to strategies for attractions. There are different strategies at TDR for shows and parades than those used at WDW and DLR.

Guests in TDR will wait HOURS for a show or parade. Prime locations along the parade route are grabbed first thing in the morning for the more popular parades. Most all shows have their die hard fans that will line up first thing in the morning in order to be the first ones let into a show venue.

TDR Guests use what they call "leisure sheets". These are large decorative plastic tarps used to save one's spot for parades and shows witout chair/bench seating. These leisure sheets are only allowed to be spread out one hour prior to the parade start time. Until then Guests must sit directly on the ground. At exactly one hour before parade time, everyone spreads out their leisure sheets at the same time. It is really a sight to be seen.

Another difference for pardes and outdoor shows at TDR is that most areas are designated seating only areas. Guests MUST sit on the ground to watch the parade. There are designated standing areas which are referred to as "tachi-mi" (tachi or root tatsu meaing "to stand", mi is short for miru meaning to look/view). The tachi-mi areas are usually many rows in back of the seating areas. Prime tachi-mi spots are also saved by many Guests way prior to the parade/show start.

Yet still another difference at TDR for viewing entertainment is that all Guests are asked to remove large head coverings/hats/ears during the show in order not to block the view of Guets behind you. It goes without saying that children on the shoulders is not allowed. Guests are also asked not to hold their cameras above the level of their head.

Now so far all I have talked about are parades and shows that do not use the lottery system.

For the most popular shows at TDR, a lottery system is used to randomly award tickets to view the show. Because it is random, being able to view a show is not guaranteed. Guests must line up at the lottery machines and use their park passport to try to win tickets for the shows. You have to pick which show you are trying for and if you don't get awarded that is your one and only chance for the day.

There have been may strategies discussed about ways to increas your chances of winning, but so far I have not heard of any strategies that I'm convinced increase your chances.

If part of tackling the park als includes shopping for merchandise, the one piece of advice I can give you is to shop earlier in the day. Do not wait until you are leaving the park unless you are leaving early evening. The shops are insanly busy the last few hours of park operations each day.

Japanese culture is for people to buy gifts to take back home, work or school. This is seen as almost a must do, even for children in their teens or older. Every time you go on vacation or go out on a outing, it is customary to bring back these gifts or in Japanese omiyage.

Because of this custom, the shops at the end of the day are jam packed with people buying their omiyage to take home with them. You really don't want to be shopping and waiting in line at the registers while all this is going on.
    Last edited by Roger55; 02-18-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks for all the great advice! Is parade time a good time to go on attractions like in the US?

• Resident of the Caldera

The parade draws people away from the Haunted Mansion, and a few other Fantasyland rides on or near the parade route, however there are so many people in the park that it doesn't make a huge difference.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    The parade draws people away from the Haunted Mansion, and a few other Fantasyland rides on or near the parade route, however there are so many people in the park that it doesn't make a huge difference.
    This is also my experience. The difference on a busy day is negligable.

I'd choose to enjoy the amazing parades they have at TDL.

Don't forget to visit Mount Fuji.It is natural landmark of Japan.You really enjoyed there very well.Especially the winter months when visibility is best.And second one remarkable is Kinkaku-ji(Kyoto).So lovely place accented by surrounding pine trees and ponds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12