• Just another Disney fan..

D23 Expo at TDR Announced for October 12-14 2013

Disney Japan and OLC have just announce the first international D23 Expo will be held at TDR October 12-14 this year.

The expo will include presentations and activities throughout the three TDR hotels, Iksipiari and the old Cirque de Soleil theater. Nothing in the parks themselves.

There wil be two exhibits. One will be the D23 Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives and the other being an homage to The Walt Disney Company’s 90th Anniversary.

More information and online expo registration will be taking place in March.

Here is the official website in Japanese only.

D23 Expo Japan
    Last edited by Roger55; 02-26-2013 at 09:27 AM.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: D23 Expo at TDR Announced for October 12-14 2013

Hrmm I had heard a rumor, but thought they were aiming for Sept.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Munchings & Crunchings

So, is D23 expanding to Japan? I mean the club membership too? Or is this just the expo only? It sounds like a nice thing for Japanese fans, and it looks to have a TDR focus.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    So, is D23 expanding to Japan? I mean the club membership too? Or is this just the expo only? It sounds like a nice thing for Japanese fans, and it looks to have a TDR focus.
    D23 membership is already open to international Disney fans.

This expo does not require D23 membership. It is being presented and operated by Disney Japan and OLC. My speculation is that D23 is working in collaboration with OLC to bring the archives and other expo experiences.

I agree that it will be mostly a TDR focus. It will be in Japanese with I'm hoping translation services being provided.

Since TWDC and OLC are two different companies, I don't expect to see too much of these D23 branded events in Japan in the near future, but who knows?

An intersting tidbit I do know is that any and all Disney items in Japan (i.e. merchandise, attractions, etc.) are owned by OLC. If the WDC Archives wants to have anything being decommisioned from the TDR parks, an agreement or purchase needs to be made to transfer such items to the archives collection. This includes any attraction or other items that might have originated in the US parks and subsequently moved to the Japan parks.

A recent example of this is the Mickey Mouse figure from the orginal Mickey Mouse Review that is on display at the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives in the Regan library. That figure started out in WDW and its ownership transfered to OLC when the attraction was moved to TDL. When the attraction was being closed at TDR, an agreement had to be made between OLC and TWDC to return Mickey to the archives. By agreement I guessing that means it had to be bought back. I believe he is one of only a few of the items returned after the attration closed.

So although on the surface it isn't obvious to everyone that TDR is not owned and operated by TWDC, stories like the one I just shared do point that out.
    Last edited by Roger55; 02-25-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    D23 membership is already open to international Disney fans.

This expo does not require D23 membership. It is being presented and operated by Disney Japan and OLC. My speculation is that D23 is working in collaboration with OLC to bring the archives and other expo experiences.
    This is what I was wondering, since isnt "Disney Fan" their official Fan Club? D23 hasnt been doing a terribly great job on recent events IMO, powerpoint presentations are not what the Japanese fan base is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by asianway View Post
    This is what I was wondering, since isnt "Disney Fan" their official Fan Club? D23 hasnt been doing a terribly great job on recent events IMO, powerpoint presentations are not what the Japanese fan base is looking for.
    Disney Fan is the Japanese Disney fan publication. The official Disney fan club in Japan is called "Funderful Disney".

• Resident of the Caldera

I have very mixed feelings about this. Coincidentally, I'll be at the Tokyo Resort during this period. However, I have been to both D23 events in Anaheim and they sucked. Incredibly poorly organized, waiting on long lines for hours only to be turned away because the room filled up before you got in.

The first one was fair.

The second was just plain poor and a total embarrassment for the Walt Disney Company.

I wonder how this D23 event in Tokyo will differ, because even though the Walt Disney Company is loaning the materials, it will hopefully be run by OLC, which should make a big difference, particularly in what they deliver (bang for the buck).

Anyone here been to the D23 events in Anaheim and have any opinions to offer?
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

As you reitterated, this event will be run by OLC (correction: run by Disney Japan w/OLC)so I really don't think there is much value in comparing Anaheim's expo to this one.

It will be for the Japanese Disney fans who already wait all day for a parade or show. This shows the Japanese mentality is different from the US and what might be ok to them could be totally unacceptable for US Disney fans.

Seems like the format will be different and haing the presentations in Japanese will also change the experience from that which was found at Anaheim.

Apples to oranges IMHO.
    Last edited by Roger55; 02-26-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Corrected who the lead organization is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    As you reitterated, this event will be run by OLC so I really don't think there is much value in comparing Anaheim's expo to this one.

It will be for the Japanese Disney fans who already wait all day for a parade or show. This shows the Japanese mentality is different from the US and what might be ok to them could be totally unacceptable for US Disney fans.

Seems like the format will be different and haing the presentations in Japanese will also change the experience from that which was found at Anaheim.

Apples to oranges IMHO.
    If that is the case then it would be a pity, simply because I feel the real fans who love Disney and belong in this club should have a chance to go to Tokyo and see how much better those parks are run, and what wonderful myriad of entertainment they offer.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I'm not understanding the OLC involvement. From my view point they are just providing the venues for the Expo. Most likely at a fee. The 30th Anniversary exhibit looks like something the OLC has been asked to contribute towards. But this looks like a Disney organised event to promote all properties in Japan which include Movies and Media something OLC has no ownership off in Japan. Plus if it was a joint venture I'd expect to see more promotion for it on the TDR website. The Expo website has been produced by Disney Japan. The press release by Disney also does not state that this will be a joint venture which you can all read here First-Ever D23 Expo Japan to be Held October 12-14, 2013 The OLC involvement sounds like speculation and I have yet to read about any involvement other then the special 30th Anniversary exhibit. That's not to say OLC will not be involved in the organisation of the venues or the Parks presentations. I just don't see it being a joint venture like people are speculating it to be here!
    Last edited by Malin; 02-26-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Reading the official website it does indeed state that The Walt Disney Company Japan, Ltd is the main organizer of the event with the cooperation of the Oriental Land Company. TWDC Japan is a susbsidiary of the US WDC.

With the WDC Japan subsidiary as the organizer, it is still my opinion that the event will be tailored to the Japanese Disney fans and not so much for foriegners.

As with the Anaheim Expo, D23 is the organizer but they work closely with the DLR for the even operations. I'm guessing TWDC Japan will also work closely with OLC and the TDR people for operating this event.

D23 membership is not required and there will be no benifits for being a D23 member. The website FAQ addresses if the expo will be the same as the Anaheim expo. It says the concept will be similar but the content will be different. This doesn't give much of any clues as to how the event will be run.