Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Could Japan support a second Disney resort?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    It probably could, but I'd rather see the original resort get expanded instead if possible.
    Thats what I am thinking too...
    For the love of Disney....

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I would be very curious just to see how a second Japanese Disneyland would look. The first was supposed to be as much a copy as possible. How much of that thinking would be retained?
    Because TDL was a "BEST OF" park, meaning they combined the 'best of' Disneyland in CA with Magic Kingdom in Orlando (Anaheim POTC, Orlando Castle...), I think the second Magic Kingdom would be like Shanghai and provide a whole new twist and a completely different look and feel.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Because TDL was a "BEST OF" park, meaning they combined the 'best of' Disneyland in CA with Magic Kingdom in Orlando (Anaheim POTC, Orlando Castle...), I think the second Magic Kingdom would be like Shanghai and provide a whole new twist and a completely different look and feel.
    It was a "best of" because that was demanded by the Oriental Land Company. WED had tried to sell them on a new Magic Kingdom with unique Japanese offerings. They were turned down because the desire was for an authentic American experience.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It was a "best of" because that was demanded by the Oriental Land Company. WED had tried to sell them on a new Magic Kingdom with unique Japanese offerings. They were turned down because the desire was for an authentic American experience.
    No argument, I realize that. But I bet they would make a different choice today, isn't that what you implied?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    No argument, I realize that. But I bet they would make a different choice today, isn't that what you implied?
    I don't know what they would do, that's why I'd find it interesting.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I don't know what they would do, that's why I'd find it interesting.
    Japan's a small country, (geographically, although they have a very large population and a high number of Disney and Americana fans) - so if a second Magic Kingdom park opened, I'm quite certain it would be an entirely new experience, not a clone of Tokyo Disneyland.

What Disneyland/Magic Kingdom rides / lands do we have at other parks that haven't made their way to Japan?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The OLC has looked into a possible third Park. This was considered at one point to be non Disney licensed too. OLC have the land and did at one point look at the Kansai Region. A third park else where in Japan could work. 70% of the Guest who visit are from the Kanto Region. Which leaves a huge margin of the population who do not visit each year. I don't think the theme should be another Magic Kingdom concept. But a brand new theme. Why it's not yet happen is mostly down to the economy and building up the second gate. Tokyo DisneySea has a smaller capacity number compared to Tokyo Disneyland. So it has more potential to grow attendance and financial numbers for the OLC right now. Unlike TDL, TDS still has undeveloped space. If TDL wants to add a new experience it now has to either remove something or upgrade it. TDS on the other hand still has room to expand. So I expect the OLC will want to fully develop this Park before serious discussions take place on another Park.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    The OLC has looked into a possible third Park. This was considered at one point to be non Disney licensed too. OLC have the land and did at one point look at the Kansai Region. A third park else where in Japan could work. 70% of the Guest who visit are from the Kanto Region. Which leaves a huge margin of the population who do not visit each year. I don't think the theme should be another Magic Kingdom concept. But a brand new theme. Why it's not yet happen is mostly down to the economy and building up the second gate. Tokyo DisneySea has a smaller capacity number compared to Tokyo Disneyland. So it has more potential to grow attendance and financial numbers for the OLC right now. Unlike TDL, TDS still has undeveloped space. If TDL wants to add a new experience it now has to either remove something or upgrade it. TDS on the other hand still has room to expand. So I expect the OLC will want to fully develop this Park before serious discussions take place on another Park.
    Great post. Where and when do you think they'll be ready for a third park or a second resort?

• Will return Soon...

Based on how that current resorts attendance figures keep rising i imagine within 10 years they will progress to a third park, if the economy improves along with the rising attendance.

I do think that a new park would be best suited at the current resort, however i can't help but think that they could capitalise on the Kansai region and build a unique park there and give Universal Osaka some real competition.

Especially with Harry potter opening in 2015 there, I imagine if any park was to scrap some of TDR's attendance, Harry Potter at USO would do the trick, although i think USO will get a spike in attendance and TDR's will continue to grow.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Imagine if something amazing, WDI designed and OLC built, exceeding DisneySea was built in Osaka.

Harry Potter would still gobble up most of the attendance, it's going to be HUGE.

• Resident of the Caldera

Disney and More Blogspot reported this: "Oriental Land has announced that they are planning to invest$1.5 billion into TDR theme parks between 2011 and 2020! that surely is a lot of money for a lot of rides!"
    So, you're going to see lots of new attractions at both existing parks--no third park. And I'm telling you that there will be a large multi-level parking structure built in the Tokyo Disneyland parking lot and the rest of the land will be used for expanding both parks where they meet at the back.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

I'd love to see the Oriental Land Company's take on Animal Kingdom, complete with the Beastly Kingdom Land! You know... the one we didn't get here in the US.
    Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012 :wizard:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0960612&type=3

• Will return Soon...

This is a concept i could see going well in Japan, they do love their animals! No Avatar though!

I'd love to see a second Disney resort in Japan. Maybe following the US lead the second resort could be in a holiday spot like Okinawa to catch a more general Asia pacific demographic.

Another alternative would be for WDC to build a resort in South Korea which is very close to Japan as well as having its own large Disney loving population. That could work with or without OLC but politics at the moment might put it off the list

• Bangarang!

The Oriental Land Company passed on a Studio park in the 1990s.
    True, but a lot has changed in twenty years. The park they would have been pitched was probably influenced by DHS and the still planned Disney-MGM Studios Europe. However now Disney not only has even more of its own properties to offer (such as Tron) but also Marvel and Star Wars.

I'm not saying that they'd still say yes to it, but I doubt it'd would not be at least considered.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    Another alternative would be for WDC to build a resort in South Korea which is very close to Japan as well as having its own large Disney loving population.
    Interesting point. I believe that South Korea was considered not so long back as well as rumours of Singapore and India (both in different degrees of scale).

I could see a smaller resort, akin to HKDL working in SK but it'd perhaps bit a step too far for some as they'd see it diluting the brand (for starters). Not that it'd hurt attendance in Shanghai/Hong Kong or Tokyo.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12