Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Could Japan support a second Disney resort?

OK so this seems like a pretty straight-forward question:

Could Japan support a second DISNEY Resort, it seems like every day of the year is packed.

And if so, do you think they'd build another MAGIC KINGDOM style park, or go for all new themed experiences like DISNEY SEA?

And where would it make sense to build it, Tokyo is pretty central. Osaka?

• Bangarang!

Re: Could Japan support a second Disney resort?

Interesting idea. Not doubt plenty will say no, "ones enough", and whilst that maybe true I'd guess by the numbers it would be possible for them to have two resorts in the country.

However, it would have to be something different that what's already in Tokyo. Maybe a Studios park perhaps..

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I could see a second Disney Resort with one or two distinctly new themed parks.

That way it does not cannibalize their Tokyo operation. But it seems like a second Magic Kingdom park would fill up just like Tokyo Disneyland, and it could be better. It could be a more loose interpretation the way China has a park that looks like Anaheim in Hong Kong and something totally new and different going into Shanghai.

I have no doubt a Shanghai Disneyland park in Osaka would be a hit, but would the original park maintain it's popularity as the "original" Japanese Disney park?

This would allow them to develop a slightly different, less traditional Magic Kingdom with Carsland or other properties that didn't fit into the current Tokyo Disneyland set up. The key would be to make the two parks different enough as to make them separate destinations.

• Will return Soon...

I defintalty think it could sustain another resort. I wouldn't think a Traditional or hybrid Magic Kingdom Style however.

Many might say one is enough, however, Japan is in the unique position of it all being paid by someone else, I would expect the usual complaints of "No, focus on the parks they have around the world, etc" really doesn't apply here as, Disney don't have to fund it, what do they have to lose besides profits.

Osaka would be the natural choice, i imagine, A killer stuio park could give Universal Stuidos Osaka (and the worlds busiest Universal Park) some much needed compitition. Although I would love to see a unique park. With OLC reputation of much more generous budgets, just imagine what could be done!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This is an area I wanted to get into. Does the Oriental Land Company's contract with Disney forbid the Walt Disney Co. from operating their own theme parks in Japan? It's highly doubtful that Disney would upset their Japanese business partners in Tokyo by leaving them out of any expansion in Japan. But could they? Could they sell the rights to another Japanese investment company, or would they have to work with OLC on a no bid basis? I think that between the way Japanese value relationships in the business world, plus the longstanding and mutually satisfactory relationship that exists between OLC and Disney, that that would be the way to go. But does it have to be?

And didn't they propose building another Disney themed park or property in Japan prior to greenlighting DisneySea?

• Nutty about Disney parks

It probably could, but I'd rather see the original resort get expanded instead if possible.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Map of Tokyo Disney Resort: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...English%29.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    It probably could, but I'd rather see the original resort get expanded instead if possible.
    Has anybody ever heard if they have any plans to do that? The land is a former landfill, reclaimed from the sea. Building more means building out. Do they want to start taking in refuse, and add another landfill next door?

Urayasu, Chiba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Bangarang!

I seem to recall a few years ago there was a story about OLC buying up some of the industrial land around the resort. No specific reason given, and I can't really remember more than that, and no doubt it wouldn't be enough for another park, but I guess it does show that they want to have more land around what they have.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Resident of the Caldera

The OLC is never going to build a second Disney Resort in Japan, but if attendance continues to climb, they will have to build a third park at the current resort. They'll have no choice. The experience of going to the resort is now exhausting because of the constant huge crowds. That's only going to get worse unless the aging of the overall Japanese population decreases park crowds in the next 20 years.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

And there's this, from 2007:
    The Oriental Land Company is looking to add a third Disney themed gate, or Urban Entertainment Center as some will call it. Only not in Tokyo Bay at the current Tokyo Disney Resort. No sooner had we reported that here than the OLC released a report on the following Tuesday that it will open an indoor Disney Entertainment facility(UEC) in partnership with the Walt Disney Company in a major Japanese city other than Tokyo in or after 2010.
    Blue Sky Disney: Blue Sky Alert-Asia (Tokyo)...

• Resident of the Caldera

That whole indoor entertainment center idea crashed and burned.
    Look for a third park at the current Tokyo Disney Resort in about 10 years.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion FOREVER!

Not a 2nd MK/destination. But can support a 3rd gate.
    OLC's actual bread & butter is landfilling and real estate development so it shouldn't take as much effort as for some other company.

The most likely "pad" is either the parking lot south of MK or the area east of TDS that's currently underwater.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I would be very curious just to see how a second Japanese Disneyland would look. The first was supposed to be as much a copy as possible. How much of that thinking would be retained?

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    However, it would have to be something different that what's already in Tokyo. Maybe a Studios park perhaps..
    The Oriental Land Company passed on a Studio park in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    This is an area I wanted to get into. Does the Oriental Land Company's contract with Disney forbid the Walt Disney Co. from operating their own theme parks in Japan? It's highly doubtful that Disney would upset their Japanese business partners in Tokyo by leaving them out of any expansion in Japan. But could they? Could they sell the rights to another Japanese investment company, or would they have to work with OLC on a no bid basis? I think that between the way Japanese value relationships in the business world, plus the longstanding and mutually satisfactory relationship that exists between OLC and Disney, that that would be the way to go. But does it have to be?

And didn't they propose building another Disney themed park or property in Japan prior to greenlighting DisneySea?
    I believe the Oriental Land Company would have to be involved. More recently there have been some rumors of the Oriental Land Company pursuing a third, non-Disney theme park outside of the Tokyo Disney Resort. The urban entertainment center was Jay Rasulo's pet concept and was looking into building them in several locations.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I don't see why Japan could't support a second resort. The OMC should consider building a new resort inland where there's plenty of room for expansion. they should jump in the helecopter right now and scout out a massive chunk or real estate incognito, like walt did with WDW!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast