• Tom Bricker

Buying Tokyo Disney Resort Books/Blu-ray

We're heading to Tokyo Disney Resort in early May (bit of an aside, but when do Golden Week crowds fully subside? It looks like things should be back to normal by May 6...or is that still a holiday?).

1) I am debating taking an extra suitcase for merchandise as there are many books and Blu-ray that I want. However, I notice Amazon has many of these and they are avaialble for shipping to the US, and I'm wondering whether I should just do that to save space, or if they're significantly cheaper in Japan?

2) A lot of books/DVDs/CDs appear to be out of print, and only available from third parties on Amazon. As such, I can't have these shipped to the US. What's a good place to buy out of print TDR books, etc., once there?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Buying Tokyo Disney Resort Books/Blu-ray

Second-hand bookstores will have old issues of Disney Fan magazine and also guide books.

You will definitely need an extra suitcase. I usually bring two. While items are discounted on amazon.co.jp, the shipping is crippling (though the postage has gone down in the past year because they seem to have switched to a different system). I just bought the 30th Anniversary blu-ray set for 25% off on amazon.co.jp. and it cost $20 to ship it to the east coast of the US. The set is full price in the parks.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Second-hand bookstores will have old issues of Disney Fan magazine and also guide books.

You will definitely need an extra suitcase. I usually bring two. While items are discounted on amazon.co.jp, the shipping is crippling (though the postage has gone down in the past year because they seem to have switched to a different system). I just bought the 30th Anniversary blu-ray set for 25% off on amazon.co.jp. and it cost $20 to ship it to the east coast of the US. The set is full price in the parks.
    Thanks. Given the cost of some of this stuff, it seems like it will probably be better to order from Amazon in this case. The savings should come close to offsetting the shipping cost, and having the extra room in my luggage would be nice.

Thanks!

• Resident of the Caldera

It costs $150 to ship what we would consider a small/medium sized box from Japan to the US. So, it pays to bring multiple suitcases and carry your items home.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    Thanks. Given the cost of some of this stuff, it seems like it will probably be better to order from Amazon in this case. The savings should come close to offsetting the shipping cost, and having the extra room in my luggage would be nice.

Thanks!
    Before you do that, go into the CD/DVD shop located in IKSPIARI, which is Tokyo Disney's shopping arcade next to the monorail and Ambassador Hotel. The shop is called ShinSeido (I think..) There, we found a lot of old, never used cds and dvds from Tokyo Disney. So I recommend highly you try that shop and see what's available. They seemed to carry a huge selection of what you may be interested in getting.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    The shop is called ShinSeido (I think..)
    It is called Sanseido.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    It is called Sanseido.
    Actually I was correct. Here is the proof straight from the Ikspiari website.

新星堂(CD、DVD)|ショップ&レストラン|IKSPIARI

If you're into to オルゴールーorgel (music box) versions of popular Tokyo Disney Resort parade and show themes, there are three CDs you can only purchase at Shinseido, or their web site.