Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Southwest of Disorder, aka Santa Cruz, CA

Re: First Timer: Can't miss attractions/food?

We were there for 4 days over Spring break and we're WDW/DL AP so.......we hit up the rides that were unique to TDS/TDL and then did some of the old faves.

TDS:
    Fantasmic! - unique, nothing really like either F! in DL or WDW
    Journey To The Center Of The Earth
    Sinbad
    StormRider
    Aquatopia
    RagingSprits - slow but good theming
    Indy - great theming inside temple.
    2000 Leagues

Eats: Gyoza dog - excellent. Popcorn - ok nothing special. Restaurante de Caneletto - we had a great time in here one evening.

TDL:
    Pooh's Hunney Hunt - unique
    Monsters Inc - definately unique, not like the DL version
    Tiki Room - Stitch's spin on things

The rest of the rides seemed to be 'Gen-1' rides with only POTC having only the Captiain Jack upgrades, but none of the others.

Nobody screamed in the stretch room.
    Jungle Cruise was fun, we even made up our own dialogue. The Skipper seemed more into it that at WDW/DL.

The evening fireworks are common to both parks, so do not have a great backdrop as in DL or WDW.

Andy

Pics are at: AndyR's Photos : Disney : Tokyo Disney Resort & Tokyo City - Spring Break 2013 | SmugMug

• Not here to help

Most overrated thing ever:

Pork Gyoza

You can buy those in any chinese market place in the world.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

We get 'ordinary gyoza' at all our local restaurants (Chinese, Japanese) and grocery stores where sushi is common, but not the 6" bun style that was in TDS.

E.g. Ordinary from a restaurant by Tokyo Station, each is maybe 2.5" long in a pasta like case

TDS Gyoza bun, 6-7" long in a bread like case:

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Most overrated thing ever:

Pork Gyoza

You can buy those in any chinese market place in the world.

Hey AndyR, my husband and I were at TDR on some of the same days you were. I'm surprised we didn't see each other. I enjoyed your pictures. You got some shots I wanted but wasn't fast enough to get. Especially on the Monsters Inc ride. I even went to Kamakura a few days after you. I'll have to try to get my pics up too.

A couple more quick questions:

1. We're not taking the train to TDR but want to visit Bon Voyage. Which monorail station is the closest to it?

2. I read pin trading is not popular. Do employees trade them at all? Should I not bother bringing any pins?

Leaving on Saturday!! Thanks!!

The Disneyland stop on the monorail is the closest to Bon Voyage. The employees do not do pin trading from what I could tell. But you should be able to find some pins for the 30th. I think I was a bit too early for them. I couldn't find a pin that said Tokyo Disneyland or anything park specific. Most of the pins I found were just characters and were the same as in the US parks. I did end up with a Spring Voyage pin with Duffy and Mickey from TDS. That was the best I could do. Have fun!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ratoncitaloca View Post
    Hey AndyR, my husband and I were at TDR on some of the same days you were. I'm surprised we didn't see each other. I enjoyed your pictures. You got some shots I wanted but wasn't fast enough to get. Especially on the Monsters Inc ride. I even went to Kamakura a few days after you. I'll have to try to get my pics up too.
    There were a 'few' other people there that week LOL - we even arranged to meet friends from NZ at TDS (for rope drop) one morning - and failed. They were on one side of the entry plaza, us the other with all those umbrellas.

Ditto on what's been said on Pins. The only ones we have are from the 'games' in by the Bazzar in TDS (the roll the ball games). They have TDS on the back of the pin, but just a character on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by aznaphrodite View Post

1. We're not taking the train to TDR but want to visit Bon Voyage. Which monorail station is the closest to it?

2. I read pin trading is not popular. Do employees trade them at all? Should I not bother bringing any pins?

Quote Originally Posted by aznaphrodite View Post

Hey Rebecca

There is no pin trading with CM's at all they ended pin trading in the parks quite awhile ago. However for 500yen you can play the games in Arabian Coast (Tokyo Disney Sea) but you want to lose as the consolation prize is pins right now these are the pin choices.

If you don't lose the prize is stuffed Chip & Dale Plush

Also here's a thread that I update with current Tokyo pin offerings:
    New Tokyo Disney Pins updated 30th Anniversary

°o°Crista

How many days are you going to spend in the parks? Will you also spend time in Tokyo?

We (2 adults, one child) had one day in each park. We were able to do our must see list but missed out on a few gems.

If you are a fan of the US parks, you will love the Tokyo park! Overall, the parks are cleaner, and the animatronics are sharper.

TDL
    Haunted Mansion. For Mansionistas, it is a delight. We went during October and got to see the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay.
    Tiki Room. Ask for the translation device. This is a different show from the ones in the US.

TDS - the park is gorgeous!
    Mermaid Lagoon Theater. Ask for the translation device. The show is fabulous! Ariel is on a trapeze and the puppet for Ursula is mesmerizing.
    Try the sea salt ice cream. There is a cart vendor in the grotto that sells pre-packaged ice cream in a little case.
    Tower of Terror. The background story is different and not Twilight Zone based. The pre-show is completely in Japanese but the visuals carry the story.

Most counter service restaurants have English menus when you get to the register. I did a lot of pointing. Oh, try the melon soda. Like the US, TDR has Coke products and melon soda takes the place of Sprite.

Be prepared to fall in love with Duffy.

• Resident of the Caldera

There is only one Gyoza Dog cart, and it's in Mysterious Island. It wasn't busy last week, so the line was only a few minutes rather than the usual hour. At one point a few years ago (four or five?), they were indeed selling Gyoza Dogs at a second cart in DisneySEA, but that didn't last too long.

The regular gyoza they sell at the Nautilus Galley are particularly good. I've eaten my share of gyoza around Asia and the ones in Disney Sea are among my favorites (though they keep changing the damn sauce).

My other recommendation is for Kirin Apple Tea soda. Jumbo YUM.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Crista & AndyR - Thanks for the info about the pins at Bazaar! I must get those Chip & Dale pins and try to win the plus has well!!!

ThatBrunette - We will be at TDR for 2.5 days. Our flight arrives around 2 pm so we'll head over to TDR, check into the Sheraton, and spend what is left of the afternoon/evening at Ikespari and Bon Voyage. Then have a full day for each park. We're spending 4 nights in Tokyo after that and then doing a 9-night cruise roundtrip from Yokohama visiting Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Fukuoka, and Busan (Korea).

• Resident of the Caldera

Don't waste your first afternoon and evening at Bon Voyage and Ikspiari. Buy an "after 3" or "after 6" ticket (depends on whether it's a weekday or weekend): you'll still have plenty of time at the park of your choice on that day, and you'll WANT it.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Do the math on the "After X" tickets. It turned our cheaper for us to get a 4 day hopper than a 3 day + an after 6.

Also....if you're catching the "Limo" aka bus to TDLR, I doubt that you'll be able to get the 3pm bus, but the last one which is at 5:10pm

We were checked in, freshened up and in TDS by 7:40pm for the 8pm F!

Ah! So it's a hot dog kind of, not a gyoza bun. I hear it's got more flavor/spice to it. We might just try both when we go to the Resort to compare
    Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012 :wizard:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0960612&type=3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast