Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question First Timer: Can't miss attractions/food?

I'll be visiting TDR for the first time on this coming Sunday evening to Tuesday. I know, majorly last minute planning! We've been to WDW and DLR many times and only have a full day for each park so I want to make sure we hit the "don't miss" attractions/food places and things that are truly unique to TDR.

We're 2 adults, no kids. I love Ariel and Chip & Dale. We're staying at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Joe Flowers

Re: First Timer: Can't miss attractions/food?

Wow, that's really last minute, but you should have an amazing time. I know we did when we went back in October of 2011. We went with 4 adults and no kids.
    Joe's Tokyo Disney trip report - October 1st to 16th, 2011 - Lots of pictures

Our favorite things were
    Tokyo Disneyland:
    Winnie the Pooh
    Monsters Inc.
    Electrical Dreamlights Parade

Tokyo Disney Sea:
    Sindbad Storybook Voyages
    Tower of Terror
    Fantasmic

As far as eats, we enjoyed all the popcorn flavors, plus the fried pork gyoza at Disney Sea.

Being a fan of Ariel, I'm sure you'll be spending a bit of time at Mermaid Lagoon.

I have some park maps that I've scanned from our time there that might be helpful with planning too. It's on the last page of my trip report.

I hope you have a great time!

I was just there 2 weeks ago. TDS is way different than any other Disney park I've been to. And I've been to all but HKDL. So I would recommend spending most of your time there. Tokyo Disneyland reminded me a lot of WDW. Pooh's Hunny Hunt was very different. I enjoyed the Mark Twain to get a good view of the park and also the Western River Railroad. One thing I wish I had done is found an English map at both parks right away. You can print out an English map from the website, but the ones at the park have specific info. about shows and parade times. Get a popcorn bucket and try the different flavors of popcorn. The back of the English maps tell where the different flavors are sold. Once you buy the popcorn bucket (which makes for a great souvenir) you can refill it with a new flavor for about $5. My favs were the caramel corn and the apple cinnamon. Make sure you watch the Legend of Mythica and Fantasmic at TDS. They were both great, and you can just step up and watch at the last minute. You don't have to camp out for hours in advance. I'm sure others will chime in with advice. I miss being there so much. I'm going through withdrawals!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

If I had to go back and only get three things at each park, lets say five, I would say (in order). This is based off my preferences, along with what is really "unique" that you wont get anywhere else.

TDS
    1 - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    2 - Big Band Beat (Show)
    3 - Sindbad
    4 - Journey to the Center of the Earth
    5 - Stormrider

For food/drink, spend the most hot or most crowded (in our case it was both) time of day in the Teddy Rosevelt Lounge at the Columbia. What atmosphere, what drinks, what a great place to be. And try the black pepper popcorn.

TDL
    1 - Pooh's Hunny Hunt (DO NOT MISS!)
    2 - Splash Mountain
    3 - Western River Railroad (great way to see the west half of the park)
    4 - Snow White's Adventures (still the old version!)
    5 - Monsters Inc (we honestly didn't like it but it was unique and had some cool things...you may want to FastPass something else however...like go on Pooh again).

TDS is mindblowing cool, everywhere you look. TDL is great, because it was home away from home. Still new and exciting, but gave me the best feelings (mostly) of both the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. It was a good mix, even if you've seen many of the rides elsewhere.

DisneySea is amazing. Make sure you have your camera all charged up because you will find yourself wanting to take pictures of everything.

One of the best snacks in DisneySea is the "gyoza dog" -- as far as I know, it can only be found at the Refreshment Station in Mysterious Island. When you see the line of people waiting, you'll know you've found it. The wait for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? Walk on. Wait for gyoza dog? 20 mins. I'm not kidding.

If you think the park is cool in the daytime, it becomes uber cool at night with all the lighting. If time and energy allows, revisit all the areas of the park to see how it comes alive. One good example -- Aquatopia in Port Discovery. Sure, it's a fun enough ride during the day, but at night all these lights come on under the surface of the water and it is a different experience!

Totally agree -- you must watch Fantasmic. Even if you think to yourself "but I saw it at Disney World" -- no, you didn't see this Fantasmic! It is awesome!

Another thing to try is D's Delights. They are fun little seasonal drinks, where you can get hot drinks during the cooler months or cold, more refreshing drinks during the warmer months. They will be found at different CS throughout the parks, such as at Sultan's Oasis in Arabian Coast. I posted a thread about these a while back Disney Delights - NEW Flavors! Help with Translation, please!

You must ride Journey to the Center of the Earth. I can't really describe it as a roller coaster, but it is definitely a thrill ride! Get Fast Passes!

Ride the Transit Steamer Line at night (but keep in mind they do shut it down prior to Fantasmic to prepare for the show, but you could ride it later when it reopens!) to get incredible views of the park.

Sailing Day Buffet in American Waterfront has always been good and has a really nice variety of foods -- I always enjoy the different salads. A great way to try lots of different foods. We also really like Casbah Food Court in Arabian Coast.

You can see Ariel in Ariel's Grotto, of course, but I think finding Chip n Dale might be more random. We have seen them there before, but it typically is out front by the big globe at the entrance.

That's a few things off the top of my head!

Oh, and when you return you must give a full review of the Sheraton! We are thinking about staying there!

I have only been to Tokyo Disney and only for one day. I would recommend watching the parades as the Japanese are so much more polite over there than in the states. All of our pictures came out great because no one was standing or putting their kid on their shoulder. Just get there early if parades are your thing.

If you have time for a sit down restaurant I would recommend the Queen of Hearts. It is sorta buffet style but you build your own meal. The entire thing is so well themed and cute.

Stores are much better at having specific merchandise than in the states. But beware when the park closes you need to get out. None of this lalala I am going to take my sweet time looking for souvenirs.

Pooh's Honey Hunt is a great little ride. You might need to run and get a fast pass for it if you get there at opening as this ride has long waits all day.

In TDS, it's surprisingly easy to miss Triton's Kingdom, the big underground section. The entrance is modestly marked. Look for it on the map, but even then it's not very clear where the entrance is. Inside, the Mermaid show has continual performances and is very impressive. This would be a hard show to get into if it wasn't so well hidden.

Mystic Rhythms is a show that is also downplayed a bit. Again, you could walk right by the entrance. It is an unusual show that is both spectacular yet sedate at the same time. There is a huge surprise in it. This show is thoroughly unique (and VERY Japanese) compared to Big Band Beat, which is more typical theme park entertainment.

Make sure you get a map of the Fortress Exploration or you'll miss some of the rooms. If you don't see one, ask.

For Journey, each 'car' has three rows. The first row has the best view. When you get to the front of the line, you can ask for it. Even better if you can ask in Japanese with the help of a little pocket language guide.

The Duffy show at Cape Cod Cookout is performed inside the dining hall. A great way to relax and see a cute show.

Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain will probably have single rider. You'll have to ask for it at the FP entrance. Not many people seem to know this, so you will get on almost instantly. In some cases, they may seat you together anyway, so its definitely worth doing.

In TDL, run first to Poohs Hunny Hunt. You may want to do this twice, in which case get an FP for later after you ride it. It really is a very special ride.

Monsters, Inc. is tremendously popular, with huge waits, but I don't find it any more interesting than the one in LA. Upthread, tloolgb echoes this sentiment and also suggests maybe going on PHH twice instead. PHH is unique unto the world.

If you go to Queen of Hearts to eat, make sure you get there well before the lunch rush. This is the only inefficient part of TDL, and the wait becomes terrible quickly.

I found Raging Spirits completely underwhelming, and I have never heard of anyone enjoying it, so don't knock yourself out to see it. the best part is the exterior which you can enjoy 100% from the walkway - especially stunning at night. Ask if they have single rider or go very late, maybe last thing at night. We got an FP for after Fantasmic.
    Last edited by shelemm; 04-15-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Check out the seasonal menus from each park.

おすすめメニュー | 東京ディズニーランド
    おすすめメニュー | 東京ディズニーシー

I'm personally not a fan of the gyoza dog. It's just a bao with filling inside. There are cuter and more fun things to eat at TDS.

Thanks for all the tips!! I've been making notes of all the advice!!

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain will probably have single rider. You'll have to ask for it at the FP entrance. Not many people seem to know this, so you will get on almost instantly. In some cases, they may seat you together anyway, so its definitely worth doing.
    THIS! I just got back from my first trip and did Splash single rider twice and Indy twice as well. Both times on Splash I ended up next to my ride partner and on Indy we were in the same vehicle both times. These lines aren't very popular and we were pretty much always the only people in them, and the seat assigners don't spend very much time looking for groups of two so it was pretty easy to get on together... don't count on it but this is a really good tip!!!

Other than that the consensus here is spot on. 20,000 Leagues was an unexpected favorite for me, and don't forget to leave ample time to walk around an explore DisneySea!
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Can anyone tell me if the rumors are true that there's a gyoza sausage bun cart in Lost River Delta that's even more popular than the one in Mysterious Island?
    Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012 :wizard:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0960612&type=3

Quote Originally Posted by greenkai3000 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the rumors are true that there's a gyoza sausage bun cart in Lost River Delta that's even more popular than the one in Mysterious Island?
    Hmm...doing a quick search of the site, I found the Yucatan Sausage Dog at Expedition Eats (I don't know if that is the exact name, that is just how Google translated it). And I haven't had it -- which means maybe it will be on my list "To Try" in May!

Basically, if I see a good size line anywhere, I'm going to check it out. LOL

You might have to rethink your idea of a good size line. There are lines everywhere, lol.

Get a FP for BTMRR if you have any time left. The beginning is almost the exact ride at Anaheim, but just when it loops around and you think it's ending, it actually keeps going. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Also, there's a lot of awesome Chip and Dale merchandise at Disneyland and Ariel merchandise at Disneysea, so I hope you bring an extra suitcase!

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Hmm...doing a quick search of the site, I found the Yucatan Sausage Dog at Expedition Eats (I don't know if that is the exact name, that is just how Google translated it). And I haven't had it -- which means maybe it will be on my list "To Try" in May!
    For us, Yucatan Sausage Dog >>> Gyoza Dog but it ultimately comes down to personal preference. I noticed the line moves faster for this one than the gyoza dog.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/i...21004epe01.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast