Is Triton's Kingdom Too Hidden?

I've been to TDR twice.

While recently looking up some info about the parks online and people's comments, I was struck by how hardly anyone mentions Triton's Kingdom. They will write at length, with photos, about all sorts of other aspects of the resort, but often will ignore TK. The Mermaid Show, which is excellent, also takes a back seat to almost everything else in the park.

I remember the first time I went to Disney Sea: about the third time we criss-crossed the park, near the end of the afternoon, my son and I just wandered down this one path where we had been before. This time, however, instead of rushing by, we saw the entrance to something. Only after wandering down a bit did we realize the extent of what was there.

We couldn't believe our eyes. We glanced at the park map, and sure enough there is no mention of Triton's Kingdom, just a circled number for each of the various kiddie rides. And the entrance is also not really marked on the map. Since my son was 13, I knew he wouldn't be interested in bouncing jellyfish or the teacup spin. And the Mermaid Show might seem unappealing for teenagers - as it is in Florida. So we didn't really think to visit those rides or see the show.

I am wondering if some people visiting the park are missing this phenomenal area (as we almost did), and why isn't this emphasized more?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Is Triton's Kingdom Too Hidden?

That part of the park is supposed to only be for Japanese people, surprised they let you in!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    We glanced at the park map, and sure enough there is no mention of Triton's Kingdom
    Probably because that section of the park is actually called Mermaid Lagoon.

• Just another Disney fan..

Triton's Kingdom is the name for the indoor area of Mermaid Lagoon. There are two attractions in Mermaid Lagoon that are outdoors and not part of Triton's Kingdom.

I knew to look for it and I still missed a few things like the sleepy whale shop and the interactive boat and Eric statue.

• You have much to learn...

It's not hard to find at all. It is on every park map including the english ones. They even note the hours for the Little Mermaid show.

The sleepy whale shop isn't hard to miss-it's the giant whale before you go out of the exit, unless you just turned around and left the same way you came in & if you saw the show-the exit leads you straight towards it.

The Eric statue is hidden within the childrens play area-but with a little exploring & it's not too hard to find.

• Will return Soon...

Based on the crazy wait times on those kiddy rides, I assume it's not too hidden.

When I visited a few weeks back it was the most claustrophobic part of Japan. And that's saying a lot

I am looking at an online park map right now, and there is no mention of Triton's Kingdom or where the entrance is to get to those rides.

In terms of how many people may overlook it, if all you see on the map is kiddie rides and you don't have any kiddies, I am guessing a lot of people don't bother searching out this area. Since it is underground, there is no immediate visual cue or landmark. And the walkway with the entrance to TK is a meandering path from Mysterious Island to Mermaid Lagoon.

Judging by how easy it was to get into the Mermaid Show, I am thinking that a lot of folks skip TK completely. If it is packed with kids, perhaps groups without kids are missing it, which is a shame since it is astoundingly gorgeous and rather extensive.

Click on the following link to the official TDS website for Mermaid Lagoon. If you can't find Triton's Kingdom I think there is something wrong. :P

Mermaid Lagoon

If you look at the Offiial TDS Map PDF File you will see that all the numbers for Triton's Kingdom/Mermaid Lagoon form the densist cluster of numbers on the entire map. Again, hard to see how anyone could miss it looking at the map.

Here is the link to the main park map:

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/e...EN_TDS_atr.pdf

Note that the Box "Mermaid Lagoon" obscures what could be the entrance, but it is not clear that TK exists at all or that there is an extensive underground 'Land.'

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    Here is the link to the main park map:

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/e...EN_TDS_atr.pdf

Note that the Box "Mermaid Lagoon" obscures what could be the entrance, but it is not clear that TK exists at all or that there is an extensive underground 'Land.'
    Like I stated in my link to the exact same PDF file... there is a very dense cluster of attractions right next to the "Box" which makes it obvious there is something in that location. How could one NOT know there is something there regardless if one can "see" on the map the exact location of the entrance/exit?

And if people can't figure out where the entrance/exit is based solely on the map, wouldn't most people try to look around or ask how to get to all the attractions clustered there?

I don't think citing the map as a reason for Triton's Kingdom being "hard to find" for some is a valid argument. I think the more people referr to the map those not knowing where the area is will be made aware of it from the map.

If Triton's Kingdom is hard to find for some (which I don't agree is the case), I would use an argument that there is a lack of signage over the entrance/exit insted of citing the map. However, signage would totally ruine the look of the port.

Regarding the map not labeling where Triton's Kingdom is, that is because Triton's Kingdom is not a port. The map also does not label Cape Cod or Toyville Trolley Park.

Slightly OT question - has anyone seen the Chef walk around out and about lately? It looks like they may have replaced him with a combination of Goofy, pluto, and Ducks. Thanks

The days we visited DisneySea in 2011, we went into Mermaid Lagoon twice as my daughter is a big fan of the Little Mermaid. Both times we were there, the indoor area was always crowded with visitors. Based on that, I would hardly think it's hidden. So my opinion is NO, it's not hidden at all.