TDR vs WDW: Summer Heat?

If anyone here has been to both parks in the summer.... how do they compare? Both in temperature and humidity. Obviously I could look up climate charts, but I was wondering about comparing the feel of the experience.

One clue I have is that Animal Kingdom uses extensive water misting in the air in crucial places, like waiting in line for Festival of the Lion King. Even when it's not summer. Other than that I am not sure.

Re: TDR vs WDW: Summer Heat?

My last trip to WDW was mid-September and even though it wasn't the middle of the summer, it felt HOT. I think a couple of days I was checking my phone and the temperature was high 80s. I made sure to fill my water bottle with ice and water before we would leave the room and then periodically throughout the day, I'd stop at a counter service and ask for a cup of ice water to refill it. At the end of the day, I was grateful for long, cool showers. I remember I kept thinking "if this is September, I'd hate to think what July or August feels like."
    We lived in Japan for 3 years and I know we visited TDR one time during June. While I remember it being warm, I also remember it being wet thanks to the rainy season which affects the area June into July. Even after the rain subsided and the sun came out and you felt the humidity, I don't remember it being nearly as bad as what I felt like September was at WDW. As I mentioned, having lived there for a number of years, the worst month in Japan in regards to heat and humidity is August. I would brave my chances with the "rainy season" before suffering through the heat. Besides, the good thing about the rain is that is keeps some of the crowds away. Before we moved away from Japan, we took one more trip to Disney. The forecast predicted rain for all 3 days we were going to be there and there was one morning in particular where we were in line waiting for it to open and even though we all had our ponchos on, it was just a downpour. I looked at my husband and was like "Are we staying?" and he was like "We're already here!" After about an hour it lightened up and then sometime around lunch the clouds parted and we had sunshine the rest of the afternoon and the crowds were pretty low because the rain had kept them away.

Take it from someone who has lived in both places. I'm a native to Southern California, having lived in Anaheim for most of my life, just minutes from the DLR. But as my screen name suggests, I am now in central Florida. Now, it can get pretty hot in Southern California, but as Jeff Dunham's Walter once said in a whiny voice "It's a dry heat!" Especially in September when those Santa Anas kick in. So Cali is no stranger to 100 degree temperatures, and neither is Central Florida. But the difference is the humidity. I was just at the parks this past Friday, and even though it was in the low to mid 80's, the humidity was up and it made it feel hotter. And on top of that, if it rains down here, the humidity can still be up so its a hot, wet or muggy day, but with no sun for a while. Florida is a hot tropic zone where I would say that at best, Southern California is a mixing pot or a potpourri of climates, minus the tropic zone. You have your mountains, your beaches, and your deserts. And LA & Orange County are smack in the middle of it. It's prime real estate, which is why everyone moves there. Then they realize how expensive it is and then want to move out.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant the difference between Tokyo and Orlando.

• Loves Mickey!

We lived in the Orlando area for a couple of years and now live in Urayasu. It's really about the same heat and humidity in the summer. Maybe the only slight difference is that in Urayasu we get the breeze from the bay and while we get thunderstorms here it's no where near as many as the Orlando area.

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant the difference between Tokyo and Orlando.
    Not a problem. When I read TDR, I assumed The Disneyland Resort. Didn't even think it meant Tokyo Disney Resort.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I have to say, Tokyo's humidity in September blew our minds. It was equal to a bad heat index and 100% humidity that we get in Florida...but we couldn't just hide inside like Florida because it was vacation. If you've been through Florida in its worse, you can survive Tokyo. If you've only seen Florida "warm" be prepared.

• Resident of the Caldera

I've been to Tokyo, and to Tokyo Disneyland, in August. Have also been to Walt Disney World in June, July, and August.

To me there was no comparison: Tokyo is much much worse. It's humid as hell in Florida, but when you walk out of an air-conditioned hotel in Tokyo in August, it's like someone throwing a hot wet towel in your face. That's why you see the water cannons being sprayed all over the Japanese in both parks during the parades and shows. You NEVER see that in the US parks. It's really miserable in Tokyo during the summer and unless you have no choice about when to go, I would avoid the Tokyo Disney Resort at that time.

Just my 2 cents.

DreamSweetsLove has more experience in both Tokyo and Orlando than I do, but coming from Florida, she's more used to the hot weather.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I've been to Tokyo, and to Tokyo Disneyland, in August. Have also been to Walt Disney World in June, July, and August.

To me there was no comparison: Tokyo is much much worse. It's humid as hell in Florida, but when you walk out of an air-conditioned hotel in Tokyo in August, it's like someone throwing a hot wet towel in your face. That's why you see the water cannons being sprayed all over the Japanese in both parks during the parades and shows. You NEVER see that in the US parks. It's really miserable in Tokyo during the summer and unless you have no choice about when to go, I would avoid the Tokyo Disney Resort at that time.

Just my 2 cents.

DreamSweetsLove has more experience in both Tokyo and Orlando than I do, but coming from Florida, she's more used to the hot weather.
    I'm going to have to politely disagree with you there. I lived in Japan for 3 years, in close proximity of Tokyo, was even pregnant through 2 of those summers and while it is definitely hot and humid in the summer in Japan, I don't think it is worse than Florida heat and humidity. I think the water cannons being sprayed all over is just a fun event and is not really indicative of it being any hotter or feeling more humid than it does in Florida.

• Resident of the Caldera

Different opinions make the world go round. But the last place I want to be in August is at the Tokyo Disney Resort. I would take Orlando, but not Tokyo, and I don't even like Walt Disney World.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.