Japan Disney Fan Magazine

While this isn't directly related to Tokyo Disney Resort, I thought that maybe someone here could assist. If you are in the US and you purchase Disney Fan magazine from Japan, do you have a favorite source? I used to get mine from www.yesasia.com but they seem to not be carrying it anymore. I have also gotten it from HMV Japan but they tend to run out of stock quickly. Any suggestions besides Ebay?

Thanks!

Leesa

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: Japan Disney Fan Magazine

I see your location is listed as Tennessee. That might preclude you from some of the other good sources to purchase the magazine around the USA.

In California, the west coast and Hawaii, where there is a large Japanese/Japanese-American population you can find a variety of Japanese shops/stores including bookstores. Other locations in the USA that have larger Japanese/Japanese American populations, like Chicago and New York metro areas also have Japanese bookstores that most likely carry Disney Fan. Although a little bit pricey, they are a good source of Japanese printed material.

A quick Google search for Japanese bookstores in Tennessee didn't turn up any results.

My guess is your only opitions are sellers on the internet.

That's unfortunate, Yesasia has the best prices with shipping that I've been able to find for Japanese magazines. I don't buy it myself, but some other sources that I've used for mooks: CDJapan.co.jp, Amazon.co.jp, Kinokuniya.com/us/

CDJapan is my preferred of the three, since they offer it at the retail price and offer SAL shipping. Amazon only offers express shipping and Kinos inflates the prices, though the shipping is cheaper since it's $8 flatrate.
    Last edited by tomoyo; 05-13-2013 at 09:49 AM.

I order through fujisan.com it's about $30 per magazine

Disney FAN(ディズニーファン)

• You have much to learn...

I get mine in NY from Kinokuniya Book store. I think I pay roughly about $16 - $17 per issue that is the airmail fee- it's cheaper with the sea mail rate, but it arrives about a month later.

They have a website BOOKS KINOKUNIYA Homepage that you may try to see if they can mail it directly to your home- but you should inquire to see just how much that would be.

I also used to get my Disney Fan a few years ago from Asahiya bookshop- but they closed their NY book store and only have one in California that I know of- they offered to continue my subscription, but it became really expensive shipping it from California and was at least 2 1/2 times the cover price-their website is Asahiya Bookstores USA

Just a few options if you want to look into them

• Just another Disney fan..

I checked Kinokuniya online store and they don't seem to carry Disney Fan.

I pick mine up at a local Japanese bookstore in CA and pay around $17 for air mailed copy. Sea mail is around $13 if you can wait 3-4 weeks after it is released in Japan. I like to pay the premium to get it a few days old.

With the Yen losing strength, I expect the prices to come down a bit.

• Resident of the Caldera

Like DizneyDogs, I get mine through Fujisan. If you're not in New York or the West Coast, it's pretty much your only option.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I will look into the sites suggested and see if I can find the magazine each month.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Not sure it works in the US, but if you have an iPhone and a Japanese iTunes account, you can just use the Newsstand app. You have the choice of individual issues or a few subscription options. You can't buy back issues, though, surprisingly. Probably cheapest, and very convenient, but you may have to register a Japanese iTunes account to do it.

LINK

I just received my issue #263. It's the special 30th anniversary issue. If you must get one, get this one. Nice souvenir of the 30th anniversary.

Thanks, Aotphks, for the info. I believe I have that issue on order but it hasn't arrived yet.

Also, I have found that cdjapan has pretty good prices as well as HMV Japan. Shipping is reasonable. But one thing I have noticed about this magazine-you MUST order it as soon as you see it available on the sites as it sells out FAST!!

Leesa