Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Headed to Japan this September! Need help.

Duffy is a little different in TDS. You'll understand when you get there. It's a good thing.

I understand about wanting to experience the park beyond the attractions. There are a rides worth experiencing because of the Japanese additions. I was glad you had ToT on your list, it has a fabulous per-ride show. I do suggest adding the Mermaid Show in TDS to your list of attractions and getting the sea salt ice cream at the push cart outside of the show.

Oh, counter restaurants in both Disneys have English menus at the register.

The 100% Chocolate Cafe was a family favorite. We randomly pointed at items on the menu and enjoyed everything we picked. They also have a wall of flavored chocolates. I bought rosehip, sea salt and a few other new flavors. I think you can see a few of the choices on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    My suggestion would put you somewhere midway on the JR Keiyo line in between Tokyo Station and TDR, so a direct line to each with no connections.
    Great advice!

I did that and booked the Sotetsu Fresa Inn Kyobashi. Comes out to about 101 per night, and is only 15 mins from TDR via the JR Keiyo Line.

So it's easily between Tokyo and TDR and within my price range.

Thank you!

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Sounds like you got a good deal on the hotel. You have a ten minute walk to Hatchobori Station to get to the Keiyo line for TDR, not bad. The good thing about this location is that you are right around the corner from two other lines. From Kyobashi you can easily go to Ginza, Shibuya, Omotesando, and Akihabara (Suehirocho stop). From Takaracho you can go direct to Asakusa.

The room at Fresa will be tiny, though, (149 s.f. with only a double size bed), just to warn you, but that is fairly typical for lower priced hotels.

I have an entirely different suggestion for you, similar to what you found already, but it's a much better deal. The Toyoko Inn Nishikasai. It is not quite as well located, but it will get you to places in the time you want, with a bigger bed and a more comfortable room, at the price point you are looking for. I stayed in a Toyoko Inn last time (it's a Japanese chain) and they are spacious and comfortable. You can even get a king room if you want. the double rooms feature queen beds. The Toyoko Inn website is easy to use in English and has thorough information. If you are only staying 3 or 4 nights, maybe a tiny room is ok. For me, I wouldn’t be able to stay longer in such a small room.

Also, I've stayed in Nishikasai before. it is a cute neighborhood with restaurants and services and a subway stop that is very much easy on/ easy off. You won't have to do any walking just to get to the subway when you visit TDR, and the ride into Tokyo is plenty quick. To get to Nishikasai from the airport, you'll need to take the airport limo bus to Kasai station - then take the subway one stop to Nishikasai (or it's a very short cab ride).

If you have no problem with a tiny hotel room and a small bed, then you can just stick with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    Sounds like you got a good deal on the hotel. You have a ten minute walk to Hatchobori Station to get to the Keiyo line for TDR, not bad. The good thing about this location is that you are right around the corner from two other lines. From Kyobashi you can easily go to Ginza, Shibuya, Omotesando, and Akihabara (Suehirocho stop). From Takaracho you can go direct to Asakusa.

The room at Fresa will be tiny, though, (149 s.f. with only a double size bed), just to warn you, but that is fairly typical for lower priced hotels.

I have an entirely different suggestion for you, similar to what you found already, but it's a much better deal. The Toyoko Inn Nishikasai. It is not quite as well located, but it will get you to places in the time you want, with a bigger bed and a more comfortable room, at the price point you are looking for. I stayed in a Toyoko Inn last time (it's a Japanese chain) and they are spacious and comfortable. You can even get a king room if you want. the double rooms feature queen beds. The Toyoko Inn website is easy to use in English and has thorough information. If you are only staying 3 or 4 nights, maybe a tiny room is ok. For me, I wouldn’t be able to stay longer in such a small room.

Also, I've stayed in Nishikasai before. it is a cute neighborhood with restaurants and services and a subway stop that is very much easy on/ easy off. You won't have to do any walking just to get to the subway when you visit TDR, and the ride into Tokyo is plenty quick. To get to Nishikasai from the airport, you'll need to take the airport limo bus to Kasai station - then take the subway one stop to Nishikasai (or it's a very short cab ride).

If you have no problem with a tiny hotel room and a small bed, then you can just stick with what you have.
    Funny you mention this one. A friend of mine highly recommended it. I looked into this particular location, but decided against because of two reasons:

1) At the time, I couldn't find ways to get to TDR through the subway/train. All the info pointed out only to the free shuttles. I didn't want to depend on that because they only go to TDR twice a day. If it really is as easy as you say it is, then we may change it to Toyoko Inn. We booked through Booking.com, so we can still change our plans.

2) Don't you have to be a member of the Toyoko Inn to book?

hyperdia.com gives you all the Tokyo transit route info you need. Just plug in your departing and arriving stations (in this case, Nishikasai and Maihama). Nishikasia is very close to TDR, but you need to do two quick transfers. It takes 30 minutes in total.

When I stayed at the Park Lane Nishikasai (now called the Rembrandt Hotel), I used the hotel shuttle. We reserved it the night before and it got us there 40 minutes before opening. The trip took less than 15 minutes.

The hotel can be booked through other travel sites if you can't maneuver the Toyoko Inn site. booking.com, hotels.com, or agoda.com are major ones. Also I have found good deals on laterooms.com

I'm pretty sure you can become a registered guest at Toyoko Inn without a club card membership....though to get the reduced price you eventually have to pay for a membership upon check-in. Membership costs 1,500Yen.

Go to the reservation page, and click on guest reservation on one of the far right gray buttons. Although it's a bit confusing, it will take you to a page where you can register. There are two reservation fields, the one on the right is blue. That's the one you want.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post

Day 2 @ DisneySea - Tower of Terror, Storm Rider, Aquatopia, Indy
    Whoa...now while I do enjoy Storm Rider (I seem to be one of the few) I have to warn you that Aquatopia is skippable and you are focusing on things you can ride elsewhere (ToT, Indy) over things you cannot see anywhere else (Journey, 20,000 Leagues, Sinbad, Big Band Beat).

I agree with Roger55, I'd re-do that target list for TDS. Indy and ToT were fun, but second-day adventures for me once I had hit the main unique attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Whoa...now while I do enjoy Storm Rider (I seem to be one of the few) I have to warn you that Aquatopia is skippable and you are focusing on things you can ride elsewhere (ToT, Indy) over things you cannot see anywhere else (Journey, 20,000 Leagues, Sinbad, Big Band Beat).

I agree with Roger55, I'd re-do that target list for TDS. Indy and ToT were fun, but second-day adventures for me once I had hit the main unique attractions.
    I want to ride ToT and Indy because their themed differently. I heard the queue in Indy is pretty cool, and I'd like to see the non-Twlight Zone version of ToT. So yes, I'll think I'll move them to the either to the later that day or the second day.

Yes, maybe I'll move Aquatopia to my "nice to have list"

I was looking forward to 20K leagues, but it will be refurbished while I'm there.

I check hyperdia and compared nishikasai with kyobashi, and the latter is more shorter and cheaper, albeit a small difference.

Toyoko Inn only has Non-Smoking Economy Double Rooms available, and it is smaller than what we currently have booked. So I think we'll stand pat.

Aquatopia and Storm Rider are terrific, Aqua especially during the summer. There is no reason to miss any of these; TDS has very few rides to begin with, might as well do them all.

Storm Rider has FastPass, and they don't run out quickly. No FastPass for Aquatopia. There are two lines for Aquatopia, a dry version and a wet version. Almost nobody goes on the dry version, for good reason.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    I want to ride ToT and Indy because their themed differently. I heard the queue in Indy is pretty cool, and I'd like to see the non-Twlight Zone version of ToT. So yes, I'll think I'll move them to the either to the later that day or the second day.

Yes, maybe I'll move Aquatopia to my "nice to have list"

I was looking forward to 20K leagues, but it will be refurbished while I'm there.
    Understandable, the themeing in ToT and the queue for Indy was cool (even on the FP side).

Too bad about 20k. At least you still get Journey. Ideally...you get to hit all the rides.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Too bad about 20k. At least you still get Journey. Ideally...you get to hit all the rides.
    I know. I was bummed about 20K. I'm such a fan of underwater rides (even if 20K is fake underwater). One of my favorite rides to this day is the Submarine Voyage

I think you are going to be able to do many more attractions than you have planned. I was there during Spring Break and it was crowded and still got to do everything I wanted to do. Here are some more suggestions of TDR things you might enjoy:

TDL-
    Jungle Cruise- I had no idea what he was saying, but the skipper was hilarious
    Mark Twain- fun to get an overview of the park. You can see Big Thunder, Splash, and Tom Sawyer Island
    Tour of Cinderella Castle- neat art work inside and a great way to get out of the rain
    Monsters Inc is cute if you can get a Fastpass

TDS-
    Steamer boats - a good way to get a water tour of the park
    Fortress Explorations- really under-rated and interesting
    Don't miss Big Band Beat (Mickey tap dances and plays the drums)
    Fantasmic and Legend of Mythica are not to be missed

The other posters are correct about Duffy (and his female counterpart Shellie May) being everywhere. I didn't give a rip about Duffy until I went to TDS. Now I have them on my backpack and I have them in their Spring Voyage outfits.

You may want to check out the Miracosta and Disneyland Hotels, they were really pretty!

Other stuff I enjoyed in Tokyo:
    Ueno Park, Senjo-ji Temple, Sumida River, Catching a Tokyo Giants game at the Tokyo Dome, Shibuya, and outside of Tokyo- Yokohama and Kamakura.

You can use American ATM cards at 7-11. You can change money at the parks too. Are you renting a cell phone? We rented an iphone for 12 days, we were able to pick it up and drop it off at Narita. American cell phones won't work in Japan. It was well worth it for Hyperdia.com alone.

You are going to have such a great time! I'm so jealous. I can't wait to go back to Tokyo!

If it's any consolation, 20K is not nearly as good as FNSV at Disneyland. You really aren't missing much. Good for very young kids who think they really are on a submarine.

I read somewhere that the steamer line at TDS is really great at night, as is Aquatopia. But I only rode those daytime.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast