Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: Headed to Japan this September! Need help.

Quote Originally Posted by ratoncitaloca View Post
    You can use American ATM cards at 7-11.
    Latest Information on ATMs in Japan

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    If it's any consolation, 20K is not nearly as good as FNSV at Disneyland. You really aren't missing much. Good for very young kids who think they really are on a submarine.
    !!!

100% disagree. 20K at TDS is an excellent ride. Finding Nemo in Disneyland cannot compare. At all.

At all.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    !!!

100% disagree. 20K at TDS is an excellent ride. Finding Nemo in Disneyland cannot compare. At all.

At all.
    Of course there is a basis for comparison! Both are submarine rides, one has you actually underwater and the other is fake.

You say that 20K is "excellent." Is it the best ride in all of Disney? Or are there rides that are better than "excellent?"
    I have never heard such love for this ride before.

FNSV is a unique attraction, nothing like it since the inception of Disneyland. To wit, the OP of this thread stated "One of my favorite rides to this day is the Submarine Voyage."

Sorry you don't like it, tloolgb, but it has many, many fans. Or should I say: for anyone who is already a big fan of FNSV, then 20K is probably a letdown. If you don't like FNSV, then maybe you will like 20K.
    Last edited by shelemm; 06-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.

20k to me is a more realistic underwater attraction than FNSV. Once you get in the caves of FNSV it becomes tvs hidden in the scenery.
    With 20k you are amazed by the amount of thought it took to make you feel like you're under the water. Plants and creatures move like they are underwater. It's AWESOME to me.

The story of 20k may be confusing to non speaking Japanese, but I found this cool translation.
    Disneyology: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Tokyo DisneySea) Transcript

In regards to this post.
    Ticket prices are cheaper at the TDR than in any U.S. park.
    For some reason the Japanese do not believe in air condition. So some shops and restaurants may be very warm.
    Big thumbs up to the Sheraton. Sure you miss out at the Disney Resort hotel themeing, but for the price it cannot be beaten.
    Make sure you check out Ikspiari aka their version of Downtown Disney. I love the Hawaiian Burger place (forgot name)
    Make sure you see the shows. Especially Mystic Rhythms and Big Bang Beat at TDS. They are not lame like most of the U.S. shows.
    Loved the Sinbad ride at TDS. Very basic, but you will hum the song even though you will have no idea what they are saying.
    FYI here is another translation (the singing is just ok... I am being nice):

DO NOT miss out on any attraction thinking it's the same as in the U.S. The parks at the TDR are all top notch and in most cases the Tokyo version is much better.
    3 Days at the resort will get it done, but 4 will make it a lot easier
    Last edited by Brisal73; 06-05-2013 at 01:48 AM.

If you'd like some additional info on TDR and Tokyo, you are welcome to read my blog from my trip there in April of last year. It starts on this page:

Travel Blog: Into The Land Of The Rising Sun

My wife and I are visiting Hong Kong Disneyland this September also and are very excited as that will be the last Disney park that we haven't visited until Shanghai opens.

Have fun!

-Mike

Keep the input coming!

Here's my tentative schedule:

Sunday (Sept. 8) - Arrive Tokyo in early evening
    Monday - Tokyo Disney Day 1
    Tuesday - Tokyo Disney Day 2
    Wednesday - Tokyo Disney Day 3
    Thursday - Imperial Palace, Onsen, Tokyo Giants Game
    Friday - Shibuya, Akihabara
    Saturday - TBD
    Sunday(Sept. 8) - Last minute shopping, fly home

Here's some tidbits I need input on, please:
    - I'm thinking of catching a Japanese Baseball game. Possibly Giants. There's a game scheduled on Thursday. It's at the Tokyo Dome. Anyone have experience going?

-For Akihabara, I'd like recommendations on places for 1) Used Video Games, 2) Gadgets, 3) Anime
    - I want to get an "Engrish" shirt. Any store recommendations would help.
    - For food, we'd love recommendations for any place listed above which has: Ramen (Tonkotsu and Mabo), Sushi, Curry, Soba, and anything else worth trying.
    - Recommendations for Onsens (Gaijin Friendly)

- I know for both parks in Disney I need to get there BEFORE OPENING. If I had pick one where I couldn't go that early (but still early enough), which one would that be? We're going to hit up Disney on our first day, and I want to allow some buffer time (in case we get up later, we get lost, need to buy our passes, etc)
    Last edited by 14 MPH; 06-06-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    20k to me is a more realistic underwater attraction than FNSV. Once you get in the caves of FNSV it becomes tvs hidden in the scenery.
    With 20k you are amazed by the amount of thought it took to make you feel like you're under the water. Plants and creatures move like they are underwater. It's AWESOME to me.
    This pretty much sums up what I would say.

You say that 20K is "excellent." Is it the best ride in all of Disney? Or are there rides that are better than "excellent?"
    I have never heard such love for this ride before.
    To quote the Santa Clause "just because you haven't seen (heard?) it doesn't mean it doesn't exist"...or something like that. I am sure there are lots of visitors that enjoy 20K. Anyone of the US parks would be lucky to have it.

And something being "excellent" doesn't mean its the best, but it does make it quality. I can have other rides that I like better...they are "excellent" too.

- I know for both parks in Disney I need to get there BEFORE OPENING. If I had pick one where I couldn't go that early (but still early enough), which one would that be? We're going to hit up Disney on our first day, and I want to allow some buffer time (in case we get up later, we get lost, need to buy our passes, etc)
    Err...I would say if you had to miss an "early" day I would say DisneySEA just because we still got on 20K and Journey in the evenings during Fantasmic!...even without Fastpass. We only got on Pooh with Fastpass and/or as our very first ride running to it. And Pooh is my #1 recommendation to not miss in Tokyo Disney.

• Minion FOREVER!

Here's an earlier thread on restaurants in Tokyo. Lots of contributions by the regulars here. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    Keep the input coming!

Saturday - TBD

- I'm thinking of catching a Japanese Baseball game. Possibly Giants. There's a game scheduled on Thursday. It's at the Tokyo Dome. Anyone have experience going?

-For Akihabara, I'd like recommendations on places for 1) Used Video Games, 2) Gadgets, 3) Anime
    - For food, we'd love recommendations for any place listed above which has: Ramen (Tonkotsu and Mabo), Sushi, Curry, Soba, and anything else worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    Keep the input coming!

Saturday - TBD

Imperial Palace was somewhat boring to me. The temple/wall portion is nice to see, but after that it is mostly a garden. I LOVED Shinjuku Park much more.

The 2nd time I went to Tokyo I went to a baseball game at the Tokyo Dome. Bought my tickets at a Ticketmaster type of location in a mall and had a great time.
    The 3rd time I went to Tokyo I decided to buy tickets at the Tokyo Dome and that was a bad move as it was sold out. It may have been busier than usual because I think it was opening day. My recommendation... See if the hotel will help you get the tickets for the game. FYI baseball games are very fun and a different experience than in the states. Beer girls are the best!

I recommend going to hole in the wall places for your food in Tokyo they are cheaper and usually much better. Look for a Red lantern with black and white letters. That usually signifies Ramen. Do not be shocked if you have to use a ticket machine to order your food. For curry I like Co Co Curry.

Akihabra is one BIG electronic swap meet. It is AWESOME if you are into that stuff

Other side suggestion is Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. Its a more touristy area in Tokyo, but its fun to experience a Japanese Theme Park

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    Imperial Palace was somewhat boring to me. The temple/wall portion is nice to see, but after that it is mostly a garden. I LOVED Shinjuku Park much more.

The 2nd time I went to Tokyo I went to a baseball game at the Tokyo Dome. Bought my tickets at a Ticketmaster type of location in a mall and had a great time.
    The 3rd time I went to Tokyo I decided to buy tickets at the Tokyo Dome and that was a bad move as it was sold out. It may have been busier than usual because I think it was opening day. My recommendation... See if the hotel will help you get the tickets for the game. FYI baseball games are very fun and a different experience than in the states. Beer girls are the best!

I recommend going to hole in the wall places for your food in Tokyo they are cheaper and usually much better. Look for a Red lantern with black and white letters. That usually signifies Ramen. Do not be shocked if you have to use a ticket machine to order your food. For curry I like Co Co Curry.

Akihabra is one BIG electronic swap meet. It is AWESOME if you are into that stuff

Other side suggestion is Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. Its a more touristy area in Tokyo, but its fun to experience a Japanese Theme Park
    Thanks for the info. My wife wanted one day away from the city environment to something more relaxing and nature. So I wanted to do this, then go to an Onsen. I'm planning it after our Tokyo Disney time. If you have any other ideas please share.

The info on tickets is great. I'll try to look for a place that sells them beforehand.

Ahhh....the ticket system. I have gone to Tokyo 10+ years ago, and Korea recently. I actually find it easier at times than speaking in Japanese.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

"Red lantern with black and white letters. That usually signifies Ramen."

I think you are confusing this with izakaya, which means essentially 'bar food.' Ramen places don't use the lanterns, certainly not systematically.

My favorite food suggestion in Tokyo is Gyoza Stadium, which is a re-creation of a 1950s Tokyo street scene. It is located inside Namjatown a two-story indoor theme park in Sunshine City Ikebukuro. The gyoza are serious, about a dozen different vendors chosen from throughout Japan for their excellent dumplings. They also have at least one place with a bigger menu to include some soups, noodles, and salads. The food is excellent and affordable. Also inside Namjatown is Ice Cream Republic with another dozen ice cream vendors making all kinds of very Japanese concoctions.

• Resident of the Caldera

Go to Kamakura on Saturday and enjoy the many shrines. It's a beautiful place.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion FOREVER!

"Red lantern with black and white letters. That usually signifies Ramen."

I think you are confusing this with izakaya, which means essentially 'bar food.' Ramen places don't use the lanterns, certainly not systematically.
    Actually, it says (in Japanese) what it is.... It can say "ramen", "takoyaki", "udon"... almost anything.... Some Izakaya have this as well, but not necessarily all...

Here's the one for a ramen shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I second that idea. If you leave early enough you could do both Yokohama and Kamakura since Yokohama is on the way there or back.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Agreed. Also visit the Kamakura Daibutsu (Large Buddha) if you're there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast