Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Headed to Japan this September! Need help.

Just a few stops down from the TDR on the train are the Chiba Lotte Marines! We LOVED going to baseball games while in Japan! It is definitely worth taking some time out for. I've been to games at both Tokyo Dome and at Chiba Marine stadium and I loved the open air stadium and atmosphere of Chiba much better (and, okay, we're biased, being Chiba fans!)

• Minion FOREVER!

On the topic of onsens, I would recommend staying in Hakone for the views (Mt Fuji) and the fact that it's outside of Tokyo proper and yet still close.

Hey everyone,

Finally heading there next week! It hasn't hit me yet. Still have lots to do!

so I have some additional questions

1) Is there a Disney Dining equivalent there, where I can call and make reservations? Do I even need to? Can I even do it with the language? If so, what places could I go to?

2) I read somewhere that the souvenirs are different, in that the focus is more on characters rather than stuff actually branded "Tokyo Disney Resort". Is this true? What are some souvenirs worth checking out?

I also have some non-Disney questions

1) I'm looking to buy some old/used psp/ps3/super famicom games. I also want to pick up super famicom. Anyone recommend any places to get a good deal? I saw Super Potato, but I heard it's expensive.

2) Anyone been to Gundam Front?

3) Also, I'm looking for some Macross and Transformers stuff. Is it as expensive there as ebay and other japanese online shops? Or can I actually find stuff for the cheap?

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Disney
    1) You can put in reservations online for table service restaurants up to a month prior to your visit date (and 6 months for hotel restaurants excluding the one at the Ambassador). You will need to create an account; and for ID verification, they will need your credit card. The reservation site is in Japanese, however.

You can also get a Priority Seating pass (locations marked with "PS" on the map) on the day when you visit at the entrance of each restaurants. Like a Fastpass, you'll need to return on the time that is specified on the PS and there may be a slight wait. Additionally, they only hand out a limited quantity, so it's best to take one in the morning as you enter the park.
    For more info:
    Dining at the Resort | Tokyo Disney Resort

2) I would say that is true. The Japanese crowd is big on kawaii characters as you may have figured out. There may be some selection of plain TDR souvenirs. However, the rest will be all tied in with the 30th Anniversary or seasonal events. I frankly love the popcorn buckets, although they're a bit bulky to carry home on the plane. I also get hooked on the games in Arabian Coast at Abu's Bazaar on every visit since you automatically get a pin even if you lose (and it's not too difficult to win). Besides that, you'll see a lot of stationaries, t-shirts, key chains, towels, snacks in tin cans, etc. throughout the park. I particularly like the Home Store in World Bazaar. It has stuff ranging from silverware to Mickey lint roller.

Non-Disney Questions
    1) While I'm not necessarily a gamer, you probably will have decent luck at either Shinjuku (bunch of stores on the west side of the terminal) or Akihabara. Shinjuku's Big Camera/Yodobashi Camera definitely will have those. Other than those, you'll have the ubiquitous Book Off chains throughout Japan that have used games/hardware. I think the prices, however, will be on par with Super Potato and it'll range from $1 to $40 per game depending on the popularity...

2 & 3) Sorry, I can't really help you there...

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    Hey everyone,
    2) Anyone been to Gundam Front?
    Nope, but wanted to go....

3) Also, I'm looking for some Macross and Transformers stuff. Is it as expensive there as ebay and other japanese online shops? Or can I actually find stuff for the cheap?
    I'm kind of out of it since my son stopped being into Gundam a few years ago so this might be out of date. The prices I found to be roughly 10% ~ 20% cheaper than online. But the big thing was that the selection was much, much better than what you can normally get in the US. Not into Transformers as much so I don't know about that.

Hello

For Hotels, I stay far away in Ikebukuro so I cant really help in recommending something close.

For rides though I highly recommend:

Disney Sea: Journey to the centre of the earth, Indianna Jones (Fav ride), and toy story mania.

Disneyland: Big Thunder Mountain, Monsters Inc., Pooh and Star wars (if you're a fan)

I think I multi day pass is perfect for seeing everything. The crowds even on a not so busy day are big, but you can get around them using fastpasses etc.
    The Japanese will like up for everything so use the time before a parade (when everyone else is trying to get a spot) to quickly knock out a ride!

Another tip is to eat early. I love to eat as Alice in Wonderland Banquet hall. It is amazing! oh and try the popcorn! watch out for the curry flavour and black pepper flavour ones though... they stink

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

For 14 MPH:

3) Go to BOOK-OFF. It's a used book/comic/movie/game/media staple of Japan. They're all over the place, but naturally the Akihabara location is likely to have a nice game selection. If there's one around you, GAMER'S has great selection and often even better prices than BOOK-OFF. The one in Akihabara is particularly good, naturally.

Kaki Bear, I like both of those flavors! My favorite was coconut, though, which is sadly gone now. I didn't love soy butter as the savory flavors go, but some folks count it as their favorite.

The thing about curry and black pepper (and all the flavors, really) is that they do have a fairly strong smell. I wouldn't say "stink" because I think they smell yummy, but you really can smell from just standing around the cart. If the smell doesn't appeal to you, the flavor likely won't either. I'd say, buy your first bucket with something you're pretty sure you'll like and use the smaller paper cups to try experimental flavors. And remember that you can refill any bucket for only 500*, so if you find one you love, you can get more later!

*This adds even more value to those big, adorable Duffy popcorn baskets!^^

Oh Sorry DuffyDaisuki I didn't mean to offend.

Im a sweet tooth all the way so savoury flavours for popcorn for me are a no go. I much prefer the caramel, apple cinnamon and strawberry ones.
    However, I do know that the curry one is very popular based on the long lines that's always at the carts so for some its awesome. just not for me.

I do agree with you about the cute buckets. EVERYONE MUST GET ONE! I love carrying mine around and getting refills all day. its adds to the enjoyment of the park. Although hunting for the one you want can be a challenge.

Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall is a beautiful place to have lunch... but it is the only inefficient spot in all of Tokyo. Go very, very early or expect to wait even in a short line.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234