Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Headed to Japan this September! Need help.

Hi Folks.

My wife and I booked a trip to Asia this September, which includes both Hong Kong and Tokyo. Naturally, we'll be headed to the respective Disney Parks.

After the excitement of booking the plane ticket, now comes the grunt-work of planning everything else. I have some questions and would appreciate any input:

1) What's a recommended hotel? We're looking to spend between 80-110 a night. We want a hotel somewhere between the Tokyo Disney Resort and Tokyo Proper

2) We're planning to get the 3 day pass, visiting Disneyland the first day, then DisneySea the next two days. Would that be enough?

3) We are seasoned Disneyland AP holders, so what are the rides in Tokyo Disneyland that I cannot miss? What are the ones that I can skip (primarily because they are carbon copes of US DL). I want to try and experience everything, but I know it's not possible. DisneySea will be different, as I want to try to do it all.

3) As I mentioned, we'll be in Tokyo from Sept. 8th - 15th. Based on what I read, it should be at the start of school in Japan. We are trying to go on the weekdays. I heard it still gets crowded. Will this be true. Again, being Disneyland vets, we are used to crowds, but I heard Tokyo is even crazier.

4) We also want to take a multi-day tour of tokyo. Any recommendations?

5) Any other tidbits would be appreciated.

Thanks

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Will return Soon...

Re: Headed to Japan this September! Need help.

Wow congradualations. I'll be on my 5th trip to this amazing country in the start of September too! You'll love it -

1) 80-110 a night, I'm not too sure of any hotels near TDR besides the partner and Disney hotels. you can usually get mid week the Sheraton for as low as $140 a night and its fantastic with the monorail station at the bottom of the driveway. However for 80-110 you may be looking to be staying more in Tokyo at a business hotel. I love the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. Next to the station and you'll need to give yourself about an hour each way to get to TDR.

2) 3 days will do, however 4 is better. remember on a multiday pass only Days 1 and two are designated to a single park. Days 3 and 4 are park hoppers.

3) Tokyo Disneyland Cannot miss, at least to me- Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Monsters Inc, Splash Mountain (Best of the three), Star Tours if your a Star wars nut (For the extended queue). Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade: Dreamlights, is a must! I assume the 30th parade too, however haven't seen in person yet.

3a) Most schools seem to go back from the 2nd of September, crowd calenders show pretty good expect crowd levels mid week. Definatly recommend TDR Tues-Thurs or Mon-Thurs. TDR can get insane with crowds, take everyones advice, be at the gats AT LEAST 1 hour prior to opening and wait, to get the most out of your time, even mid week. Remember the Japanese will wait in line, no matter how long the wait!

4) I think Tokyo is better done on your own than on an overpriced organised tour. They have one of the best train systems in the world that goes everywhere. Check out this page for some great free things to see in Japan - The best things in life are free - 30 free things to do in Tokyo — Japlanning.com. Some great things there to do, free and one of a kind experiences.

Try to plan you Tokyo days with things you must do and keep them in similar areas. This will bring down your travel time between experiences giving you more time to enjoy this amazing city.

If you have time take a Shinkansen down to Kyoto for a day or two if Temples and history are your kind of thing, the city is chock full of amazing temples that are hundreds of years old. Also Nara is a great half day trip out of Kyoto.

5) Tokyo Sky Tree, is awesome! get up there on a clear day, the veiws are spectacular, and it's kind of cool going up the tallest tower in the world. (You can see TDR for up there!)

Cat Cafes! go check one out at least, there fun. especially if your a cat lover!

Do allot of planning, Tokyo is one of the best cities in the world, I can't get enough of it, spend a night wandering around Shinjuku and or Shibuya jsut get lost in all the neon streets and shops and amazing restaurants.

HAVE FUN!!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post

1) What's a recommended hotel? We're looking to spend between 80-110 a night. We want a hotel somewhere between the Tokyo Disney Resort and Tokyo Proper
    Can't help there, we paid $150+ a night at the Tokyo Bay Hilton. It was excellent thought.

2) We're planning to get the 3 day pass, visiting Disneyland the first day, then DisneySea the next two days. Would that be enough?
    If you are not trying to see everything at TDL, but only the "must sees" then yes.

3) We are seasoned Disneyland AP holders, so what are the rides in Tokyo Disneyland that I cannot miss? What are the ones that I can skip (primarily because they are carbon copes of US DL). I want to try and experience everything, but I know it's not possible. DisneySea will be different, as I want to try to do it all.
    Hmm. A few Must Sees I can think of in just TDL:

1. Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Sacrifice everything else in TDL to ensure you see this.
    2. Snow White's Adventures. Its the classic 60s-70s version. Cheesy. Hilarious. Dark. Awesome.
    3. Western River Railroad. Unique spin on the railroad.
    4. Monster's Inc Ride & Go Seek. Not one of the best rides but mostly unique (its DCA's Monsters Ride with a TSMM ride system).
    5. Splash Mountain. A bit of Disneyland, a bit of Magic Kingdom. All excellent.
    6. Minnie Oh Minnie - Be amazed and frightened at what TDL does for entertainment.

But in all honestly, any of the major rides (IASW, Pirates) are worth visiting if you can just to see their differences (which admittedly can be minor).

3) As I mentioned, we'll be in Tokyo from Sept. 8th - 15th. Based on what I read, it should be at the start of school in Japan. We are trying to go on the weekdays. I heard it still gets crowded. Will this be true. Again, being Disneyland vets, we are used to crowds, but I heard Tokyo is even crazier.
    We went the same time. It was like any crowded day or typical weekend domestically, but manageable. Just get there early. Say it with me. Get there early. At minimum an hour before opening. Make use of Fastpass, hit up areas where the most rides are grouped first (to get on the most you can first thing). Rides really do empty out during Fantasmic and Dreamlights, make use of that. Take breaks in mid-afternoon as it will be humid and hot.

4) We also want to take a multi-day tour of tokyo. Any recommendations?
    Asakusa. Shibuya. Tokyo Skytree. Don't go on Fridays, but consider the Imperial Gardens.

5) Any other tidbits would be appreciated.
    See #3.

After living in Japan a few years and am now living in Korea, we've been able to visit TDR and have stayed at several different places over the years. If you are really wanting to keep costs down, then I can recommend the SunRoute Plaza.

Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotels | Tokyo Disney Resort

They actually have some fun themed rooms called "Cruising Cabin" where it feels very much like the cabin on a cruise ship (read small, but fun! if only for a few nights). They run seasonal "Room Only" rates and you can get a room for less than $100 a night. But, just to be sure, if you pull up the website and start looking at their rate calendar, keep in mind that they rate you see is PER PERSON. Anyway, we have stayed there on 3 separate occasions and we always had a clean, tidy room with everything that you need right there on the perimeter of TDR. On our most recent trip, we did pay a little bit extra and stayed at Tokyo Bay Hilton and we did it simply for the extra space, extra bed and Family Themed room they were offering because we have young children. But, when it was just me and my DH, those Cruising Cabins at SunRoute were just fine.

• Resident of the Caldera

You won't find decent accommodations comfortable anywhere in the Tokyo (or Tokyo Disney Resort area) in your price range. Even small businessman's hotels, with tiny rooms and a double bed, are $120 a night. You couldn't fit two people in the room.

Sun Route Plaza comes the closest, but I've heard that not a lot of English is spoken. Sun Route Plaza is also the farthest from the monorail line. I always stay in the Hilton Tokyo Bay. You can get a room for as little as $135 to $150 a night if you watch their website for specials and pay in advance. (Skip any add-ons offered, like breakfast.) If you stay in the Hilton, get an ocean view room. They're much nicer, bigger, and cost less.

NONE of the rides at Tokyo Disneyland are exact clones of rides in the US parks. Every ride is different in various ways, and most are "plussed" beyond what the Walt Disney Company would spend. If you are a real Disney theme park veteran, you will need four days in the parks--a four day passport costs only $160. Can you believe how cheap it is? You can park hop only on days three and four. You can see all of DisneySea (except Toy Story Mania and one or two shows) in one day. It doesn't have that many attractions. Tokyo Disneyland requires at least two days. Don't forget that they run multiple parades a day--sometimes three a day, which can take a chunk out of your time. And don't miss their Electrical Parade Dreamlights. Best parade ever.

The rides which are completely different will make you want to ride again and again and again.

The only two rides which are exact duplicates of those in the US are also the two newest: Toy Story Mania and Star Tours 3D. While the exteriors and cue are different, the rides themselves are the same. But everything else is different: the amount of things to see on the Western River Railroad and Mark Twain puts Disneyland to shame.

Even rides like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates are slightly different, with added effects.

I would suggest, for sightseeing, a day trip to Kamakura. It will cost you a lot less than taking the Shinkansen to Kyoto, and there are many excellent shrines in Kamakura and it's only a $7 ride on the JR line. About an hour away.

The GOLDEN RULE when visiting the Tokyo Disney Resort is to be on line at the park entrance at least 30 to 45 minutes BEFORE park opening. Know exactly where you are going when you get in, and walk briskly if you can't run.

You can do every single thing in Hong Kong Disneyland in one day if it's not crowded. It has very few attractions, and many of those from park opening are all exact clones of the attractions in US parks.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post

Sun Route Plaza comes the closest, but I've heard that not a lot of English is spoken. Sun Route Plaza is also the farthest from the monorail line. I always stay in the Hilton Tokyo Bay. You can get a room for as little as $135 to $150 a night if you watch their website for specials and pay in advance. (Skip any add-ons offered, like breakfast.) If you stay in the Hilton, get an ocean view room. They're much nicer, bigger, and cost less.
    Not to dispute anything but just clarify a few things -- we didn't have any problems checking into or staying at SunRoute and we speak very little Japanese; the hotel staff that I encountered spoke enough English that staying at the hotel wasn't a problem. Also, one thing that SunRoute has that isn't an option staying at the Hilton is that they have a shuttle that runs to the bus stops directly at Disneyland, so you don't even have to take the monorail to get to that park, although it is necessary if visiting DisneySea (to take a shuttle to the monorail Bayside Station that then takes you to DisneySea.)

Others have also suggested getting to the gates an hour before park opening; we went at both Christmas and just last week (mid-May) and were okay getting there about 30 mins before the park opened -- and with small children in tow -- and enjoyed the parks before the crowds got too big. It was still a foot race to some of the major attractions (Toy Story, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Star Tours) but we definitely enjoyed our time there.

Thanks so far from everyone's input. I appreciate everyone's contributions.

Unfortunately, looks like SunRoute Plaza's Rooms are all booked, so I'm going to keep looking.

We'll definitely get there an hour beforehand. I've only done it once (for Carsland here in DCA), so we'll see how that goes.

For rides, I'm going to try and limit to 2-4 a day. I think we're more looking forward to just hanging out and shopping. Here's my plan of attack:

Day 1 @ Disneyland - Pooh, Monster's Inc, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain

Day 2 @ DisneySea - Tower of Terror, Storm Rider, Aquatopia, Indy

Day 3 @ Either Park - Catch up on any ride or attraction

Now I have other questions:

1) Other than the popcorn and the royal buffet, where are some other recommendations on park food? Ikisipari would work too.

2) I notice there are International cast members (American, European, etc). Are they only for entertainment, or are there front line cast members too? I ask just in case I need to communicate. Or is it easy to go around despite the language barrier? I know some Japanese, I have the google translate app, and I know things are written in english as well, just was curious.

• Just another Disney fan..

If you are limiting yourself and want to see completly unique attractions, I'd skip Indy and go on Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Sindbad's Storybook Voyage. I'd also put Aquatopia and Stormrider lower in my priority queue if I were you. Unfortunately 20,000 Leagues under the Sea will be down for rehab at the time you are there.

You have also neglected to mention seeing any of the entertainment offerings at both parks. TDR does parades and shows better than any other Disney Park in the world IMO. If you even just the slghtest bit enjoy entertainment you won't want to ignore what TDR has to offer.

TDL will have Happiness is Hear parade and Disney Electrical Parade Dreamlights. In addition the Halloween festivities will be going on which will probably have a parade.

TDS will have Legend of Mythica and Fantasmic! They too will have their Halloween event running.

Regarding International CMs, 99% of them work entertainment. I've been going to TDR for over a decade and only have run into a handfull of International CMs working front line jobs such as merchandising, attractions and Guest relations/control.

Roger55, you are absolutely right about the shows.

We'll try to see what we can.

• Minion FOREVER!

Sorry, not much help on 1) or 2). But here's a website that I just found... I can vouch for Villa Fontaine as we've stayed there; IMHO the description there is pretty much spot on.

>3) We are seasoned Disneyland AP holders, so what are the rides in Tokyo Disneyland that I cannot miss? What are the ones that I can skip >(primarily because they are carbon copes of US DL). I want to try and experience everything, but I know it's not possible. DisneySea will be >different, as I want to try to do it all.

Agree with everything mentioned so far. I would prioritize on what's different first

>3) As I mentioned, we'll be in Tokyo from Sept. 8th - 15th. Based on what I read, it should be at the start of school in Japan. We are trying to go >on the weekdays. I heard it still gets crowded. Will this be true. Again, being Disneyland vets, we are used to crowds, but I heard Tokyo is even >crazier.

Mid week should be pretty good. It is busier than DL off-peak season, but it's no-where crazy as during the summer.

>4) We also want to take a multi-day tour of tokyo. Any recommendations?

Honestly Tokyo is not my favorite town in Japan (Kyoto is!) However, there are a bunch of great museums including the Ghibli Museum.

>5) Any other tidbits would be appreciated.

Eat japanese food. It's cheaper and much better than almost anything you find in the States.
    If you have the time, I would recommend a day trip to an on-sen in Hakone or Nikko.
    Get a card for your hotel which you can show to a cab driver.
    Finally bring a pen and paper w/ you; most Japanese read/write English better than they can speak it. This isn't an issue at TDR where there are plenty of English speaking CMs around.

Have fun!

When you are out and about in Tokyo, I highly recommend the 100% Chocolate Cafe.. 100ChocolateCafe.b

Pimselur makes audio CDs for learning Japanese. Polite phrases are always a good idea.

I agree with nish221 about the paper and pen. I ended up drawing a picture of the popcorn bucket I wanted for the cast members to get directions to the cart. Check out the threads on this forum for the popcorn buckets.

Be prepared to fall in love with Duffy! He is everywhere and he is adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBrunette View Post
    When you are out and about in Tokyo, I highly recommend the 100% Chocolate Cafe.. 100“ChocolateCafe.bŠ”Ž‰Ž –Ž

Pimselur makes audio CDs for learning Japanese. Polite phrases are always a good idea.

I agree with nish221 about the paper and pen. I ended up drawing a picture of the popcorn bucket I wanted for the cast members to get directions to the cart. Check out the threads on this forum for the popcorn buckets.

Be prepared to fall in love with Duffy! He is everywhere and he is adorable!
    I love chocolate so I'll keep that on my list

As for Duffy, ehhh. He's been here in DCA, and I always walk past him.

It's possible to find a hotel in your price range, but there may be some kind of trade off. It's not always possible to get everything you want. So, check out the Mahaima 50s hotel, but there is a 17 minute walk to the closest train station or a 4 minute bus ride. The train station is one stop from TDR. They do include a full breakfast. Consider moving hotel rooms from visiting Disney to seeing the rest of Tokyo. I don't know what dates you're looking for, but you can search on the internet by subway or train station. For example, by Google searching the Hatchobori station on the JR Keiyo line, I found the hotel hokke inn hatchobori on hotels.com You can find other lower priced hotels this way, but I make no claim as to quality or availability. Be careful of the ubiquitous semi-double, which is a tiny room for two.

You seem to want to do little in the parks..... not sure why that is. I understand having the time to stroll around and relax, but for gosh sakes that's no reason to miss one single thing. Two days at TDS should give you plenty of time to do everything and relax. I like Mystic Rhythms (there's nothing like it) and the Mermaid show in TDS.

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    It's possible to find a hotel in your price range, but there may be some kind of trade off. It's not always possible to get everything you want. So, check out the Mahaima 50s hotel, but there is a 17 minute walk to the closest train station or a 4 minute bus ride. The train station is one stop from TDR. They do include a full breakfast. Consider moving hotel rooms from visiting Disney to seeing the rest of Tokyo. I don't know what dates you're looking for, but you can search on the internet by subway or train station. For example, by Google searching the Hatchobori station on the JR Keiyo line, I found the hotel hokke inn hatchobori on hotels.com You can find other lower priced hotels this way, but I make no claim as to quality or availability. Be careful of the ubiquitous semi-double, which is a tiny room for two.
    I never really wanted to stay near the Disney Resort per say. I just wanted to stay somewhere that was accessible to both Disney and Tokyo within 30 mins. Right now I'm looking at a hotel in Toyocho that fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    You seem to want to do little in the parks..... not sure why that is. I understand having the time to stroll around and relax, but for gosh sakes that's no reason to miss one single thing. Two days at TDS should give you plenty of time to do everything and relax. I like Mystic Rhythms (there's nothing like it) and the Mermaid show in TDS.
    I think as I've gotten older and been an Annual Passholder, my priorities have changed. When I go to Disneyland here, attractions aren't as much a priority. I enjoy my time more shopping, eating, and just hanging out. Of course I'd like to do everything, but I think based on what I've read and seen on the crowds in Tokyo parks, I'm trying to be realistic.
    Last edited by 14 MPH; 05-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.

My suggestion would put you somewhere midway on the JR Keiyo line in between Tokyo Station and TDR, so a direct line to each with no connections.
    Last edited by shelemm; 05-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast