Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Soarin' to Port Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    IŽd rather see something new...
    I can go Soarin in EPCOT...
    Soarin is also not nearly as interesting as Tower of Terror (TDS), Journey, 20k, Indy, or even Sinbad for that manner.

• Resident of the Caldera

In every park that it's in, Soarin is one of the most popular attractions. A two-hour wait at Epcot daily, a 45 to 60 minute wait at DCA.

It's a very popular ride, and people love it. Also, since you haven't seen the new movie yet, how can you say it's "not as interesting as ... ." I think Soarin Over the World is going to be a lot more interesting than Soarin over California, so the attraction will improve.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    In every park that it's in, Soarin is one of the most popular attractions. A two-hour wait at Epcot daily, a 45 to 60 minute wait at DCA.

It's a very popular ride, and people love it. Also, since you haven't seen the new movie yet, how can you say it's "not as interesting as ... ." I think Soarin Over the World is going to be a lot more interesting than Soarin over California, so the attraction will improve.
    I kind of agree with Fukai here. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Soarin as it is now, and it is a park favorite for many. However, I'm really excited to see a new Soarin Over the World, highlighting destinations or landmarks that can be found around the globe. And I'm willing to bet it will be a huge hit in Japan whenever they finally build it.

Here's a shot of the previously mentioned model, taken from the Walt Disney Imagineering: Making Magic Real book. The building is at the top right of Mediterranean Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by pli1018 View Post
    Here's a shot of the previously mentioned model, taken from the Walt Disney Imagineering: Making Magic Real book. The building is at the top right of Mediterranean Harbor.
    Just curious, did the book mention why they didn't build Soarin at DisneySea? Was it, as most things tend to be, a money thing where they planned to build it eventually once they had the funds? And are there other attractions in the photo that haven't been built yet?

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Just curious, did the book mention why they didn't build Soarin at DisneySea? Was it, as most things tend to be, a money thing where they planned to build it eventually once they had the funds? And are there other attractions in the photo that haven't been built yet?
    There are no other attractions in that model photo what were not built. But, to clarify, the building being discussed in that model is not Soarin', but another theatrical venue that was apparently cancelled late in development (it's a standard theater layout, not Soarin's distinct double-omni). One reason no Soarin was planned at opening was that the existing ride film was of California landscapes.

If Soarin were to go to Port Discovery, the only available pad I can see is where Raven mentioned (Soarin's footprint is about half that of Indy), but would present major sightline challenges from Lost River Delta.

It would also be interesting to see how, assuming it is a single ride film, Soarin II would be adapted for four very different themed locales:
    -Historic pulp adventure (assumed Shanghai Adventureland)
    -California airfield (DCA)
    -A pavilion about the land (or a modern airport) (EPCOT)
    -And a stylized future marina(DisneySea).

Couldn't Soarin' be built in the backstage area beetween Port Discovery, Mermaid Lagoon and Mysterious Island ?

with so many Huge buildings around it, no sightline pbs and it could be a good place with the rear Plaza of Port Discovery in front of it.

but how could they thematically fit an "actual" movie in a fantasy future port ? That is the question....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2Stras View Post
    Couldn't Soarin' be built in the backstage area beetween Port Discovery, Mermaid Lagoon and Mysterious Island ?
    In short, no. At least not cost-effectively (no room, space there needed for backstage). What lends this rumor credence is that the empty area between the River Delta and Port Discovery is the easiest place to expand at TDS (no required infrastructure changes). The key will be to get the berm dense and high enough so while anywhere in Lost River Delta, the sense of remote jungle is preserved (the Soarin building is completely obscured). There is already a jungle berm in that area, but will it be tall enough?

I put together this piece of what I see as the likeliest location:

but how could they thematically fit an "actual" movie in a fantasy future port ? That is the question....
    That is a good question... Maybe frame it around time travel?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Or, put the boats in the basement of a Soarin' structure?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Or, put the boats in the basement of a Soarin' structure?
    I suppose that could be done - TDS is already an awesomely multi-layered theme park.

I'm assuming Soarin' II will feature wonders from around the world, both natural (e.g. Angel Falls, Serengeti, Himalayas) as well as manmade (e.g., The Great Wall, The Acropolis, New York City, and, according to Al's report, Disneyland). Getting the modern sights to jibe with Renaissance Era Med Harbor would seem even more challenging than future-set Port Discovery. Would they go to the length of filming dedicated sequences for each version of the ride?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Would they go to the length of filming dedicated sequences for each version of the ride?
    Don't hold your breath.

I get that Soarin' is a popular ride, but I'd be very disappointed if it took the precious remaining expansion space in the park. That land seems tailor-fit for a more expansive and frankly, better, E-ticket.

Admittedly, Port Discovery is the only lacking land in the park, but I feel as though two flying-themed simulators in the same land is the definition of the word "overkill."

• Resident of the Caldera

DisneySEA has not built an original E-Ticket since opening day (Tower of Terror is improved, but only a revamp), so don't hold your breath.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• All-American

It would also be interesting to see how, assuming it is a single ride film, Soarin II would be adapted for four very different themed locales:
    -Historic pulp adventure (assumed Shanghai Adventureland)
    -California airfield (DCA)
    -A pavilion about the land (or a modern airport) (EPCOT)
    -And a stylized future marina(DisneySea).
    My bet is that they won't. Which is a shame.

In short, no. At least not cost-effectively (no room, space there needed for backstage). What lends this rumor credence is that the empty area between the River Delta and Port Discovery is the easiest place to expand at TDS (no required infrastructure changes). The key will be to get the berm dense and high enough so while anywhere in Lost River Delta, the sense of remote jungle is preserved (the Soarin building is completely obscured). There is already a jungle berm in that area, but will it be tall enough?

I put together this piece of what I see as the likeliest location:

Hate to say it, but Soarin' seems like a complete waste of that plot. The area described is large enough to accommodate a new land matching any of the other lands in scale, with the opportunity to take guests anywhere in the world or in fiction, and it's being spent on a single cloned ride that barely fits in the park as is. Here's hoping they hold out for something better.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by pli1018 View Post
    I get that Soarin' is a popular ride, but I'd be very disappointed if it took the precious remaining expansion space in the park. That land seems tailor-fit for a more expansive and frankly, better, E-ticket.

Admittedly, Port Discovery is the only lacking land in the park, but I feel as though two flying-themed simulators in the same land is the definition of the word "overkill."
    This. Every word of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast