Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Soarin' to Port Discovery

According to Al Lutz (his typical reliability made me feel this was really news rather than rumor), the new Soarin' the World will be coming to Disney Sea, located in Port Discovery. It's just a brief mention, about 2/3 of the way down the article.

MiceChat - Disney News, Disneyland Resort, MiceAge Update - MiceAge Disneyland Update: Mickey's Boomtown
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: Soarin' to Port Discovery

Thanks, Esmeralda! That is GREAT news! I'd love something new in Port Discovery specifically, and I'd love to know what "this Soarin' thing" is all about. The really great thing about that column, though, was that it reminded me of all the things I love and respect about WDC, not just OLC. It's true I'm in a "nostalgic" kinda mood today, but Al's great prose simultaneously inviting me into the playful prankster tradition of dry ice bombs while simultaneously depicting the hyper-effective efficiency of the Disney emergency response system was powerfully moving on multiple levels. It's a bittersweet writing style that really demonstrates the author's poignancy, and why we're all so very lucky to have him around. Thanks for guiding my attention there.

RUMOR RUMOR RUMOR

Apologies bu this is my biggest pet peeve. Al Lutz's articles are not fact! They are yet another source for rumors!

It sounds like they'd be swapping out the show in Stormrider from the way it's written... because I don't think there's really room for a new show building. Port Discovery is a strange place.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

The current show building is not large enough for Soarin. But Soarin has been on the short list for 5 years!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Does anyone know if there is a reason why soarin has never made it to Japan?

with all the other additions it doesn't sound like cost would be an issue so I wonder if there is a reason why OLC continually passes for other things?

• Disney + Menken fan

Wasn't there a rumor some years ago that Soaring was supposed to go into the Mediterranean Harbor. Behind the Roman ruins (on the parking lot next to the Hotel) Can't clearly remember where I heard it though....

-Dex
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

If they are building Soarin I anticipate it will go across the lagoon to the expansion pad adjacent to Indy.

And I know that there was a planned theater behind the Roman ruins but I believe the Soarin was wishful thinking.

• Resident of the Caldera

Port Discovery is a land of the future: it does not exist in the present day.
    The new Soarin film takes place in the present day, hence it will not be in Port Discovery.

You will definitely see Soarin in the Tokyo Disney Resort, but space is a problem. The building for Soarin is HUGE, as anyone who has seen it from a distance when standing in Epcot's World Showcase can tell you. In Anaheim they were able to bury a good portion of the building below ground level, but they couldn't do it in Orlando, and because all of the Tokyo Disney Resort is built on landfill, they probably couldn't bury most of it there, either.

It's a big damn building. And it doesn't fit in Lost River Delta, either.

The spot at the ruins of the Roman Aqueduct was not "wishful thinking"--it was a concrete plan pushed down the line until they had a film suitable for places outside the US. It's also one of the few places in DisneySEA where it wouldn't be completely out of place and the building wouldn't loom over the park like an airplane hanger.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Anyone who has the WDI: Making the Magic Real book can see the beautiful Soarin building on the page with the model for Tokyo DisneySea, in Mediterranean Harbor . (At least one can assume it's Soarin, based on what has been said.)

I really hope it becomes a reality someday.

I haven't seen the designs mentioned above, but Soarin' could be a perfect fit in Mediterranean Harbor. There is space, and the ride itself would actually make sense. I would be most intrigued to see the results as the Oriental Land folks never fail to impress!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

• HYDRA

Hopefully well see more at d23
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

The problem with building Soarin at the Roman Ruins is that all the barges for the harbor shows are docked back there in an enormous area. This has been pointed out before in another thread by someone who illustrated the point with photos from Google Earth. As you can imagine, all that stuff for Legend of Mythica requires a lot of space.

• Not here to help

IŽd rather see something new...
    I can go Soarin in EPCOT...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

That's funny, Timmy, because you live in Sweden.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast