Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot as Hell!

Re: Hot as Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Okay, Roger or Fukai, could I beg either one of you to pick me up one of the long towels? Particularly I like the Donald one and then the Minnie one -- the ones they made for Natsu Matsuri. Those things are going on ebay for $25 -- crazy! I see them on Magic Delivery, but I don't know Japanese well enough or can't even tell if they'd ship to US address. Any chance you can help a girl out!! Puh-lease!!!
    Anybody?

I've been twice in August. It does get hot, that's for sure. In fact, the most important aspect of getting to the parks early is you can wait in the shade before park opening. The sun has a way of beating down on you in this part of the world which seems different than Florida. That's why the women at TDR carry parasols.

Despite that, it was completely bearable both times I've been there and it did not diminish our fun. Tokyo in August is still more comfortable than Shanghai or Hong Kong.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Al long as you stay hydrated (as in drinking WATER, not soda) & have shade (bring an umbrella - I've noticed in photos at TDR this summer lots of guests have umbrellas out even in the sun to give them extra shade while waiting in line and walking through the parks), you'll be fine.

A couple weeks ago in St Petersburg, FL it was 91 with a heat index of 102! It was ridiculous and St Pete is on the coast, so we're usually cooler than inland. I can only imagine how bad it was in Orlando that day since they're smack in the middle of the state, landlocked.

I was at DisneySea on 12 July and it was very hot as well. But actually it wasn't so bad except when we were outdoor for a whole hour for Legend of Mythica. I had to wet my towel and cover my head with it.

Most of the rides, shops and restaurants have good air-conditioning. Mermaid Lagoon is completely air-conditioned. There are also some water spray machines, make use of them. Have an ice-cream or iced drink.

Once you are out of direct sunlight you are okay. Do bring a towel, keep it wet to wipe away your sweat and drink lots of water.

I was also in Disneyland on 11 July, using the Summer 5 passport and entered at 6pm and stayed till 10pm. Once the sun has set there was no heat problems. We queued outdoor for Pooh's Hunny Hunt and saw the Electrical Parade and there was no problem with the heat at all.

• Resident of the Caldera

Right now, where I live on the East Coast, it's 93 degrees and 47% humidity. It doesn't compare to the hell-on-wheels-horror of last week in Tokyo. Shade doesn't make much difference: sitting on the Maihama JR platform waiting for the train into Tokyo was unbearable. And it's in the shade. The only thing that made a difference was both shade AND a breeze.

It might be better than Shanghai or Hong Kong, but I'm not going to either of those cities in the summer! Or Tokyo, again, either.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• You have much to learn...

I'm in NY right now and it's unbearable here & it isn't even as humid- I can only imagine what it's like in Japan right now. I do avoid travel in the summer there at all costs. I went in late September one year and it was hot enough for me back then.

I don't care how cold it gets, but November is the best time for me to go to the parks at the start of Christmas season. I visited in April this year for the first time and loved it, aside from the rain that put a downer on most of my trip.

There's a heat wave right now in the US, in DC it's about the same humidity as Tokyo, but a lot hotter.

During the day in DC it's been about 47% humidity: not the 90% it was in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    During the day in DC it's been about 47% humidity: not the 90% it was in Tokyo.
    We've been lucky with temperatures in the MD/DC area this year. Normally, we have 95+ deg and code red (bad air quality) days throughout the summer. We've also had a lot of rain this year so no drought conditions.

As for Halloween, we went during October of 2011 but did not do the parties. I love Halloween so, I really enjoyed the decorations and parade. Oh, and the merchandise and food was cute, too. Make sure you get the Japanese map and brochure. The seasonal items are not listed in the English versions. I had to use broken Japanese, hand gestures and drawings to get information about the red bean paste Halloween treats. :-)

Will the Obake hand jive remain in the parade? I still have my little Obake hand puppet. :-)

There'll be a new hand-motion thingy for the new parade, but unlikely to be the Obake (ghost) one because that was an integral part of the Welcome to Spookyville song.

• I'm a Lutheran

In 2005 or 2006, my family went to the original Disneyland; it was 101 degrees with 80-something percent humidity. YIKES. Then again, 93 degrees with 90% humidity in an overcrowded theme park is probably torturous. My only advice would be lots of water, find some shade, and don't hesitate to rest...or wait in indoor queues.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12