Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Has Tokyo Disney Resort Had It's Management Nightmares?

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    The "horrific scenario" of Cars Land? Radiator Springs Racers is a fabulous ride--one of the best things WDI has done in a long time. It, and Cars Land, would be a huge hit at Tokyo Disneyland. The problem is that it belongs in Westernland and there's no room to build it there in the park. There's plenty of expansion room, it's just in the wrong spot for Cars Land. It would be great to see Cars Land in Tokyo--it's certainly far enough away from Anaheim that I don't think most folks would be bothered.
    Westernland is supposed to be during the Cowboy days. It's not a fictional cartoon universe with talking automobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Thanks for posting, and welcome!^^
    If you don't mind my asking, where are you from originally?
    Thanks! I'm from Switzerland. And as a further Introduction, when I first visited Disneyland in California I was 16 and I never visited any Theme Park before nor did I ever saw something similar. It just blew away and it's a memory I will treasure for a long time. I'm really happy that I know live in a city that has a Disneyland.

I didn't really notice there was a story element to Natsu Matsuri; what is it? I thought the dance contest was just a theme, rather than an actual narrative.
    2012:
    Disney Characters decide to make a Dance Contest. They have a Heat Up Level Meter (those lanterns with the 5 sign from beginner to master) , and the more heat up the dance is the more water comes out and decides the winner .

Donald loses his contest, but he reenters it as Maleficent (or a minion or so) and wins and enters the final round. During the final, the real Maleficent shows up and wants to burn Donald. With huge effort in dancing and water they can defeat Maleficent, but in the end the Heat Up Level Meter gets broken.

2013:
    Another Dance Contest, I think at one point Daisy says its actually organized by Donald. Initially the MC says, that they don't need the crappy Heat Up Level Meter from last year, but they have now a Hyper Heat Up Level Meter (The thing on the left side of the stage).

During the final Maleficent shows up again, not forget last years events, she wants to see Donald burn this time and destroys the Hyper Heat Up Level Meter. Donald&Co seem doomed, but a miracle happens and the seemed broken Heat Up Level Meter from last year revives again. Disney Characters and the audience dance into ecstasy again, defeat Maleficent, but in the end Heat Up Level Meter is broken again.

I agree with all of this, except that the princes make no difference to me. Both the parade and the 30th overall feel relatively generic Disney to me. I'm hopeful they really up the stakes for the finale. And bring back balloons at least for a limited period. It would be kinda cool if they went all outabd even brought back classic designs.
    I also don't care that much about the princes, but I'm sure you heard the cheering from the females fans during the Jubilation Parade when the princes passed.

I wish they'd just at least paint Flying Carpets in the earth tones of the area so it's integrated, or develop around it to achieve the distinct "palace look" they were apparently going for. As it stands, it is just very jarring visually.
    With the lost river delta beside it I understand what you mean, but else visually I think it fits well in the other side.

I'll admit to being very sad about Mythica leaving, though equally inspired that OLC is investing the money when they really don't have to Mythica could probably go on forever and people would always love it. At first I was very apprehensive, but recently I've spent some time really getting to know the Porto Paradiso Water Carnival which came before Mythica. That show was AWESOME! I've decided to be optimistic until given reason not to be.
    I also want to stay optimistic but I understand why some people are less optimistic about TDR Future because of OLC management. I need to check out Porto Paradiso Water Carnival.

I just hope it follows the traditions of its predecessors, which have similar romantic and lavish levels of detail. I hope it's not like "Table Is Waiting," which completely abandons the Broadway musical theater style of "Sail Away" and "Over the Waves" for a non-narrative, silly, character showcase revue.
    I never saw the predecessors of Table Is Waiting, but when I first saw it, I thought it's kind of Japanese to make a show about food. Feedback from my foreign friends which I usually also take to the show is also solely positive.

I generally find the lip-syncing distracting, as well as the language switch. Somehow, I prefer the "toon" characters' Japanese voices a lot of the time, but find the face characters jarring when they "speak" Japanese.
    I agree, that is also irritating me a lot. It's especially strange as a Japanese Version of the songs would be available... But live singing is probably out of scale. I just hope the keep the aerobatic aspect of the show even after it's refurbished.

On the contrary, I have had TONS of very special, genuinely personal magical moments in Japan and the majority of them have been at TDS. In some ways, these CMs are all the more amazing because they actively choose to approach things personally and connect in a way that is not always encouraged by company policy. I them for that.
    There are a lot of wonderful cast experiences. A recent one I had was when I was in the park with a birthday ticket, standing in the fastpass line for Splash Mountain. A cast member told us we have to wait, but if its ok if she sings Happy Birthday in the meantime. Well she started, and it took only a couple of seconds until 20-25 other guest around us joined the song. An unforgetful memory!

"It's okay because everyone else is doing it" and "That's EVIL because I don't know anyone who does that" are in general the way all modern "morality" is guided. I find this problematic. A company making unprecedented profits off a cuddly teddy bear and singing, dancing lovable animal characters absolutely should be an extraordinarily positive place to work, inclusive of salary terms and vocational self-respect. Working at TDR is not the same as working in a convenience store or cheap food-ticket shop. The fact that such a comparison is even reasonably possible is unfortunate.
    I don't wanted to say its ok because others are doing it, I think the issue is just not limited to OLC but has to be seen in a larger scale with current social issues in Japan. But I was afraid to go more off-topic if I elaborate too much on this. I also think that people who work 40 hours in a kombini should have enough salary so they can afford a live as an adult and eventually can marry and have a family.

I really cannot understand why CMs can't be allowed to come to the parks for free on their days off and why they don't receive monthly vouchers for family and friend discounts. They definitely earn it!
    I fully agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Resort Cruiser View Post
    It's quite demotivating as far as posting to this message board goes when most of the comments made in response to my writing are not to what I've written, but emotional responses to what readers have perceived that I've written. It's not that hard to take a look back at what one is responding to and confirm that one's comment actually makes sense in relation to it. Instead of participating in a discussion, I would have been endeavouring to clean up a mess, repeating information and reiterating points that I'd made clear in the first place, stressing the aspects of them that were ignored. I simply will not spend my time doing that.
    Hi Resort Cruiser, as this post appears after mine, I assume that I did what you criticized. I'm sorry that you felt that way and think that I didn't take enough time to reference to what your said. I really appreciate the huge amount of Information you provide and wish I could have participate from the beginning in the discussion.

As mentioned at an other point, the information in this thread, mainly thanks to you and DuffyDaisuki is huge, and it was actually hard for me to write a first post. I wanted to get into the thread, and obviously failed. This thread and your information was one of the main reasons why I joined this forum, and it makes me sad, that now I am part of making you leave.

I find it unfortunate. I had what I think are some pretty good ideas to inform the discussion in this message board in some entertaining ways. I've seen a lot of really off-the-wall conclusions being reached by posters here that are based on little to no information. I felt I could do something about it and have some fun while I was at it.
    My post is purely based on my visit at TDR the last 4 years, information on the OLC website and their job recruiting websites for TDR. But the visit based information is the most, so it's probably feeling and I think I don't have the information you have so I can even come up at and even discussion with you.

I see no point in continuing to post at this site, though, beyond this one and the post I will send immediately after it.
    This is very sad as as far I can judge you probably have the largest knowledge about TDR and OLC, but if you think like you wrote here, it's understandable.

the one which compared working at the resort to working at a restaurant or convenience store. There's an extremely important difference that I discuss in that post. It's one thing to brush off the immorality of OLC exploiting its workers (something I just can't do), but the indefensibly low wages OLC pays has a real effect on safety.
    I wanted to wrote more about the salary issue, but thought it would be too much off topic so I left with an obvious misleading comment. I didn't want to say that working in a kombini is the same as working at TDR. I see now why it can be perceived as that. I agree on you this is a very important topic, but I have to think more on how I put my thoughts into words which I think can lead to a good discussion.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs down Re: Has Tokyo Disney Resort Had It's Management Nightmares?

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Thanks! I'm from Switzerland. And as a further Introduction, when I first visited Disneyland in California I was 16 and I never visited any Theme Park before nor did I ever saw something similar. It just blew away and it's a memory I will treasure for a long time. I'm really happy that I know live in a city that has a Disneyland.
    I didn't go until I was a full-grown adult! I just had no significant interest in theme parks or Disney until TDS and OLC convinced me.

2012:
    Disney Characters decide to make a Dance Contest...the more heat up the dance is the more water comes out and decides the winner .

Donald loses his contest, but he reenters it as Maleficent (or a minion or so)...

2013:
    Another Dance Contest, I think at one point Daisy says its actually organized by Donald. Initially the MC says, that they don't need the crappy Heat Up Level Meter from last year, but they have now a Hyper Heat Up Level Meter...

...the seemed broken Heat Up Level Meter from last year revives again. Disney Characters and the audience dance into ecstasy again, defeat Maleficent, but in the end Heat Up Level Meter is broken again.
    Wow, that's way more fun and "Donald" than I understood. Thank you. I had no idea why Donald was dressed as Maleficent in this show, but it all makes sense now. And "We don't need the crappy Heat Up Level Meter...check out the new Hyper Heat Up Level Meter!" That is so Donald! And I love the ending.

I also don't care that much about the princes, but I'm sure you heard the cheering from the females fans during the Jubilation Parade when the princes passed.
    I only saw Jubilation once or twice, I think. I only had the 2-park AP for one year, and I went to TDS nearly every time. I strongly prefer the atmosphere there. Though TDL is always a real treat, cos it's rare and I get really excited to "do" stuff; at TDS, I like to go leisurely unless I'm with a big group. Then, my AP pal and I become the "experts" expected to plan everything (which we secretly love^^).

I need to check out Porto Paradiso Water Carnival.

I never saw the predecessors of Table Is Waiting, but when I first saw it, I thought it's kind of Japanese to make a show about food. Feedback from my foreign friends which I usually also take to the show is also solely positive.
    It does feel very, very Japanese. Usually that's a big plus for me, too. I think I just really loved Over the Waves, even though it's not the kind of show I felt the need to see every time I entered the park. There was a great tour for that show that let you be part of the cast. I never did it and I wish I had.

I agree, that is also irritating me a lot. It's especially strange as a Japanese Version of the songs would be available... But live singing is probably out of scale. I just hope the keep the aerobatic aspect of the show even after it's refurbished.
    You're right; I don't expect live singing to actually happen. It's just a daydream. But I didn't mean I wish they used the Japanese singing voice. That would be worse, for me. Jodi Benson IS Ariel. I think it would be better if they could make random, unnamed sea creatures be the emcees, and just have all of the humans/merfolk speak/sing in English. Actually, lots of Japanese folks of all ages are getting better and more comfortable with English. Many of them might actually enjoy there being more English in the show. But maybe not, too.

There are a lot of wonderful cast experiences. A recent one I had was when I was in the park with a birthday ticket, standing in the fastpass line for Splash Mountain. A cast member told us we have to wait, but if its ok if she sings Happy Birthday in the meantime. Well she started, and it took only a couple of seconds until 20-25 other guest around us joined the song. An unforgetful memory!
    That's great! It's just not clear to me, to keep on topic, how many of those experiences are actually trained to the Cast members, or how much it really depends on who you get. On a recent day of crazy shopping the two most extreme experiences were worlds apart. One girl just refused to smile or be even a little kind to me, I guess "because" I was spending "too much" money on Duffy merchandise so that her company can afford to employ her... Another man, I think he said he was north of 60 or even 70, but he looked so young (I really remember him saying 70, but I just don't believe it. I'd've guessed 50s)... Anyway, he spoke just about the most perfect English of anyone I've ever met in the Resort and was truly, personally interested in making my experience magical. On the whole, there was a lot of magic that day, so I kinda forgot about Little Ms. Grouchyface Sourpants by the end of the night. She was exactly that "Duffy fans are so weird" type, full of judgment and resentment. If any of these people think they're hiding their awfulness, they're wrong. But she was definitely not the norm, and try as she might, she didn't ruin my day.

I don't wanted to say its ok because others are doing it, I think the issue is just not limited to OLC...I also think that people who work 40 hours in a kombini should have enough salary so they can afford a live as an adult and eventually can marry and have a family.
    I understood exactly what you meant. Sorry if it sounded otherwise. I just also meant that the fact that it's so widespread suggests that the need for change is even greater. People here are so willing to accept blatantly unfair systems as "just the way it is," as long as apparently all of the masses are being treated that way. The elites in Japan are so insulated because they are not seen as repulsive by most, and as long as the non-elite masses don't resent the fact that they have to work overtime but still can't afford the life they want, change is unlikely.

Your example about the full-time convenience store worker is actually quite appropriate and powerful; I just wish it wasn't as relevant. I'm not sure about the wages of convenience store or Disneyland workers in America, either, though (or France or Hong Kong). Full-time workers of any job should be able to support a dignified life, I reckon, but working at TDL is a much harder job than working at 7-11 and it's a shame that the salary is even comparable...I mean unless we lived in a world with genuine, healthy wage equality - then I think it's fine!^^ I totally understand where you were coming from and I fully agree.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 09-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123