• You have much to learn...

Hilton at Tokyo Bay

Ok, between Fukai & myself, we usually go on and on recommending the Hilton. I just started looking for rooms for later this year & prices seem to be skyrocketing yet again. I just paid around 15,200 yen per night at the end of April, which, I understand is a slightly quieter time just before golden week. I've been looking lately & can't seem to find anything less than 23,700 yen. My older tricks of the past by booking weekends separately than weekdays isn't showing much difference either.

I assume they are trying to cash in on the 30th Anniversary- I tried the Sheraton Grand & that seemed fairly high as well. Has anyone else been looking lately & came up with any decent rates in the area?

Re: Hilton at Tokyo Bay

We stayed at the Hilton back at the end of May (Sun-Wed nights) and with the 4 of us and breakfast included, I got a rate of about $220 a night (give or take with the currency conversion.) We are planning to go back for the Thanksgiving holiday, but with a couple of the nights including the weekend, the lowest I've been able to find for a comparable room+breakfast has been closer to $300 a night. *sigh. I will probably go ahead and book, with hopes that the rates will lower as it gets closer to time and I'll just rebook. We were crazy last Christmas and forked out about twice that to stay at the MiraCosta (once in a lifetime + Christmas gift to ourselves), but having done it once, I can't justify spending that kind of money again no matter how much I want to. I do love MiraCosta, but the Hilton was great and we are perfectly happy to stay there again.

• Resident of the Caldera

I booked for October quite a while ago, and found the rates higher than the $135 a night I was paying for April (which was a full pre-pay for the lowest rate): $165 a night from October 10 through the 20th. Again, it was a full pre-pay in advance.

I was looking at the reviews for the various official hotels on Trip Advisor, and the Sun Route Plaza had lots of great reviews and it always has the least expensive rates--why don't you check that.

Just went to the Hilton site to check what the room rates currently are for October 10 through 20 (when I'm staying there), and there are NO rooms available. That's why the rates are so high--demand is exceeding capacity. All I see are rooms at these prices:

Oct 14 MonOct 23 Wed From 27,625 * per room
    Oct 15 TueOct 24 Thu From 27,625 * per room
    Oct 16 WedOct 25 Fri From 27,625 * per room
    Oct 17 ThuOct 26 Sat From 23,375 * per room
    Oct 18 FriOct 27 Sun From 23,375 * per room
    Why don't you give the Sun Route a try and let us know how it is? I don't envy you staying at the Villa Fontaine Hatchobori and taking the train in every morning, even if you can get a room for $120 a night!
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I booked for October quite a while ago, and found the rates higher than the $135 a night I was paying for April (which was a full pre-pay for the lowest rate): $165 a night from October 10 through the 20th. Again, it was a full pre-pay in advance.

I was looking at the reviews for the various official hotels on Trip Advisor, and the Sun Route Plaza had lots of great reviews and it always has the least expensive rates--why don't you check that.

Just went to the Hilton site to check what the room rates currently are for October 10 through 20 (when I'm staying there), and there are NO rooms available. That's why the rates are so high--demand is exceeding capacity. All I see are rooms at these prices:

Oct 14 Mon Oct 23 Wed From 27,625 * per room
    Oct 15 Tue Oct 24 Thu From 27,625 * per room
    Oct 16 Wed Oct 25 Fri From 27,625 * per room
    Oct 17 Thu Oct 26 Sat From 23,375 * per room
    Oct 18 Fri Oct 27 Sun From 23,375 * per room
    Why don't you give the Sun Route a try and let us know how it is? I don't envy you staying at the Villa Fontaine Hatchobori and taking the train in every morning, even if you can get a room for $120 a night!
    Yeah, this definitely tells me we should probably go ahead and book then. From last week to this week, I've already seen the rate jump $50 for our dates.

But, to your other suggestion, we actually have stayed at SunRoute on a couple of other occasions. Twice in the "Cruise Cabin" the ones that look and feel like you are on a cruise ship (meaning tight quarters) and another time in a regular room. The "Cruise Cabin" is fun, but with 4 people it definitely gets a little cramped. The regular room, on the other hand, was quite spacious. We always felt like the rooms were comfortable and clean and the service was excellent. I haven't even thought to check their rates, but if there is significant savings between SunRoute and Hilton, I could be swayed to stayed there. Is it as nice as the Hilton? No. But, the location is comparable and they have many of the same amenities -- it's a good value.