Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face Local thoughts on Tokyo Disney?

Hi Everyone! Long time reader first time poster!

Just recently we decided to cancel our DL and cruise trips in favor of saving to visit the Holy Grail - Tokyo Disney!! We decided that since we live at WDW it would be easy to take a year or two off in favor of the ultimate trip. Then this weekend I was walking though Epcot and saw a couple carrying a bright guide book in Japanese and sporting some Duffy swag. I was immediately drawn to them and wanted to give them our Test Track fast passes since they has obviously circled the globe to be there. They were very thankful but didn't speak any English so I couldn't ask them this question.. I'm hoping someone here will have the answer!

Is Tokyo really the ultimate? Or do our Japanese friends dream of visiting WDW? I'm very curious what the local opinion is - do you feel you have the undisputed best Disney parks in your back yard?

Just wondering as I wait (and wait and wait) for our first Tokyo trip!
    -Daisy
    Live at WDW
    DCL: August 2008 Wonder, December 2008 Wonder, May 2009 Magic, July 2009 Wonder, February 2010 Magic, February 2011 Dream, March 2012 Fantasy, May 2012 Magic
    DL: May 2005, May 2006, May 2008, October 2011, November 2012, July 2014
    DLP: November 2013
    TDR: September 2014

Re: Local thoughts on Tokyo Disney?

Thank you for giving up your FastPasses. That was a kind thing to do.

Is it the ultimate? With 4 parks, 2 water parks and all of it's Disney Magic WDW might get that distinction. I don't know if the parks can be rated as better or worse because there are many cultural differences and design changes. Each Disney location has perks, benefits and 'wow' moments that are unique.

I would tell people that TDR is a 'must see for all Disney fans'.

TDR is a feast for the eyes. The park itself is part of the experience. People sit for the parades! Best idea!

We are planning our second trip to Tokyo with a visit to TDR. I hope you have a fabulous trip and experience the fabulous-ness that is TDR.

Tokyo Disney is my favourite resort. The cleanliness and upkeep remind me of old school Disney. There are some great unique rides in Disneyland like Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc ride and go seek and almost everything in Disneysea will be new (with a few exceptions like Indiana Jones, even Tower of Terror is different).

Japan itself is a fantastic country with really nice people. Make sure you take some time to enjoy the rest of the country as well and be sure to post a trip report when you've been

Hope you have a great trip

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have friends who live in Japan and they've told me many Japanese like to visit WDW & Disneyland even though they have their own Disney parks right there in Japan because Disney is an American company and they want to experience the "real deal".

Tokyo Disneyland is like a "greatest hits" of attractions at Disneyland and WDW, plus some of their own that you can't find anywhere else. Their Fanyasyland still has the old school look with the tournament tent theme. A lot of their shows are VERY Japanese, which I think is pretty cool and the Japanese love shows/parades (they're a "must do" for them). What I find funny is in the US a lot of people get agitated when the parades have "show stops" but in Japan, they're the complete opposite. They LOVE the show stops and I've heard a few complaints from the Japanese about the 30th anniversary parade just being a traditional parade with no show stops.

• Just another Disney fan..

マイスチャットにこんなにたくさん日本人がいるのはしらなかった!スゲ~!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I can understand folks flying here when I too want to fly around the world to visit the Tokyo Parks! I wish there was more information. I'm spoiled living right here at WDW. I found a book but it looks like it was printed before the quake so it is likely out of date. Anyone have advice so I can obsessively research?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    マイスチャットにこんなにたくさん日本人がいるのはしらなかった!スゲ~!
    たぶん、Google翻訳を使っている人はそこにある!
    Live at WDW
    DCL: August 2008 Wonder, December 2008 Wonder, May 2009 Magic, July 2009 Wonder, February 2010 Magic, February 2011 Dream, March 2012 Fantasy, May 2012 Magic
    DL: May 2005, May 2006, May 2008, October 2011, November 2012, July 2014
    DLP: November 2013
    TDR: September 2014

The best thing is to be surprised - but learn a few key things about strategy from reading a board like this.

TDL is similar to MK or DL. Obviously, all three have their differences, with the most important advantage of TDL being Pooh's Hunny Hunt. At the end of the day, I guess I have to say I prefer DL of all three, since DL has so much stuffed inside of it, and the distances from one attraction to the next are shorter. It is also the easiest park to tour, no need for such aggressive lining up in advance. Everyhting is laid back in California.

TDS, on the other hand, is a unique experience and surely the world's most spectacular theme park.

I've had the good fortune to be able to visit WDW, DLR, and TDR all in the past few years and definitely each one has it's own pros and cons. Disneyland is Walt's original park and there is a special magic there. Disneyland's New Orleans Square is one of my most favorite places to be. We moved overseas before we had a chance to get back to CA and experience Carsland, but even before that we really enjoyed that park and it's uniqueness. Seeing Paradise Pier lit up at night and taking in World of Color is such a treat. WDW, of course, has so much to do and experience. Our last visit was in 2011 and Animal Kindgom stands out on that trip simply because it was a new park for us and it was such a wonder to really stop and appeciate the detail they put into different areas of the park. I can't leave out mentioning Epcot. Visiting the different lands and experiencing different food is great fun. When comparing MK to DL and TDL, MK is just vast and seems so spread out. However, it will definitely be a must do on our next visit to experience the new Fantasyland. We should be back in time for the grand opening of the Seven Dwarves Mine Train!!! Having the opportunity of living overseas and being so close to TDR, we've been quite a few times and, to be honest, we love it. I mean, come on, Mickey speaks Japanese! The parks are immaculate, we've had nothing but good experiences with very gracious CMs, and DisneySea is just Imagineering at it's best. Of course, drawbacks can be long wait times for the more popular attractions, but just like in the States, we utilize FPs and very rarely do we wait more than 30 minutes for rides. Japanese people are very kind and polite and they love children; when I'm standing in line for Space Mtn with my 5 year old, often as we make our way through the line, we have to stop and take pictures with those people closest to us as they are eager to talk to my daughter with her blue eyes, hearing "kawaii" many times. Drawbacks? You won't find something like Main Street Bakery with it's famed cinnamon rolls or confectionary stores where you can get the likes of Tigger Tails. But, their flavored popcorn is awesome! Honey flavored popcorn, sold right by Pooh's Honey Hunt, is the best! My husband would argue that the Strawberry is better, but it can only be found at DisneySea. Flavored popcorn is one thing, but their seasonal popcorn buckets are simply a requirement while touring the parks. You know how you pass the time in line? Easy -- you just pop open your little popcorn bucket and have a snack. The harbor in DisneySea is where they stage their afternoon show and their version of Fantasmic which is, IMO, simply the best version I've seen. Don't believe me? Watch it on YouTube. And, as others have pointed out, when it comes showtime, you don't have to crane your neck around others trying to get a better view; everybody sits down on their little mats and enjoys the show. I've already told my hubby that, years down the road, when our girls have grown, we will have to make a special trip back to Japan to visit TDR. Being military, both our girls were born in Japan and the first park they visited was TDL, so it holds a special place in our hearts.

• Resident of the Caldera

Best single Disney park: Disneyland in Anaheim.
    Best Disney Resort (overall): Tokyo Disney Resort--and it's not even close.
    Walt Disney World is a glorified shopping mall.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by DizDaisyLauren View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I can understand folks flying here when I too want to fly around the world to visit the Tokyo Parks! I wish there was more information. I'm spoiled living right here at WDW. I found a book but it looks like it was printed before the quake so it is likely out of date. Anyone have advice so I can obsessively research?

たぶん、Google翻訳を使っている人はそこにある!
    I have a friend who works on Google Translate and he knows Japanese (so he gives it a bit of extra attention. But I think this is probably translated slightly incorrectly... but still it's much better than 3 ~ 4 years ago...)

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Agree with the first 2. (Although I haven't been to DL-Paris yet, I think I'm safe in making that call.)

Although IMHO, it's not quite there yet, WDW is on the path of becoming a glorified shopping mall with hotels.

"Walt Disney World is a glorified shopping mall."

Very strong opinions, of course, but completely useless and misleading information for a Disney fan. Mission Space, Carousel of Progress, Wishes, Illuminations, World Showcase (plus all the entertainment therein), Rock n' Roller Coaster, Push, Dinosaur, Finding Nemo, Festival of the Lion King, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, the animal trails of Animal Kingdom, The Togolese dancers at the Dawa Bar, Backlot Tour, Lights Motor Action, Indiana Jones Stunt Show, One Man's Dream, Hall of Presidents, Spaceship Earth, American Idol Experience, and many events throughout the year such as Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, the Osbourne Family Lights, the special Holiday parties, are among the unique and highly worthwhile attractions at WDW. In addition, for those who would like to stay in some spectacular hotels and eat impressive food, they have some totally kick-*** options not the least of which is the Animal Kingdom Lodge, probably the single best Disney property. Fun restaurants like the Sci-fi Dine-in Theatre and the 50s Prime Time Diner are dynamite.

Now, there are some unique attractions I don't care that much about, including: Ellen's Energy Adventure, Living on the Land, Test Track, Journey into the Imagination, Kali River Rapids, The Great Movie Ride, The American Adventure, Maelstrom, the Gran Fiesta Tour, and Flights of Wonder.

But WDW is unparalleled in the world: Disney's or anyone else's. No need to put it down. It is spectacular. You seem to completely miss the point that, since Hollywood Studios is the only park dedicated to the motion picture and television industry, it is the only theme park in the world that has several camera crews participating in the attractions and that creating a live show for camera is an important part of the entertainment. You also seem to not appreciate an entire park about animals with animals.

I guess it's not your cup of tea.....
    Last edited by shelemm; 08-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Agreed. Walt Disney World is fantastic but really has that shopping mall feeling in comparison to the other parks, especially the Magic Kingdom.

• Not here to help

WDW is the biggest and has most of everything. All you can eat buffet Disney.

TDR is great because they have the best of everything and then some. TDR is like a greatest hits album plus 2-3 new bonus songs. ...DisneySEA is the masterpiece of everything that is Disney. Special selection Disney.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Resident of the Caldera

The WDW bean counters treat you like an idiot child. Upkeep stinks. Have they fixed all the non-functioning AAs on the riverboat at the end of Splash Mountain? I wouldn't bet on it.
    It was bad enough when you had to book every dinner reservation months in advance, now you have to choose your FastPasses, too. Which park shall I go to today? They don't give a crap about making you decide the answer to that question months before you arrive.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast