Regular Scheduled Maintenance for Attractions

I understand that attractions at TDR are scheduled for yearly maintenance (as opposed to when they're on the verge of breaking down OR a refurbishment). But does each attraction go down around the same time every year? (Long sentence warning I ask because I'm finally going the second week of March (staying at Miracosta using DVC points-thanks Fukai for all of your posts on that subject!) and see that Aquatopia and Jungle Cruise will be out, but I wonder if any more will make the list for that time period..whew. Just curious if anyone can shed some light on that! Sorry if this topic has been posted before.

Re: Regular Scheduled Maintenance for Attractions

If your question is -- if they work on Jungle Cruise and Aquatopia this year during March, will those same rides be worked on during March of next year? -- I'm not sure. I would say that that seems logical to keep it on the same schedule, therefore it becomes an annual maintenance type thing. However, in the times that we've gone and we pay attention to what is on the calendar for maintenance (it is very important for us to go when the biggies Monster's, Pooh's Honey Hunt, and Buzz Lightyear are up and running!), it has been pretty consistent that it has just been those rides down for maintenance.
    Sorry, though, I'm going to have to threadjack here for just a second. Point me in the direction of staying at MiraCosta on points. We went last year in mid-December and even with it being the lower off-peak rates, we spent a small fortune!!!

I feel the exact same way about the biggies! I concede that there will usually be SOMETHING down if we're not going during summer or Christmas. But give a poor dog a bone with a little meat on it! I know Jungle Cruise is down for a big nighttime refurbishment, but I was just curious.
    The point chart for the Tokyo resorts are online for 2014. You just have to call in the reservation six months (to the calendar day- if you plan on starting March 6, call DVC September 6, although the day is over in Japan). As it was noted by Fukai on an earlier post, next year's chart was altered to make almost all of March a regular season, thus requiring more points. We'll be going for 6 days for 410 points. I think DVC's system has improved in that they can tell you almost immediately if there is availability at any of the three resorts. Before, you had to wait a couple of days, to my understanding. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by stingybreadboy View Post
    I feel the exact same way about the biggies! I concede that there will usually be SOMETHING down if we're not going during summer or Christmas. But give a poor dog a bone with a little meat on it! I know Jungle Cruise is down for a big nighttime refurbishment, but I was just curious.
    The point chart for the Tokyo resorts are online for 2014. You just have to call in the reservation six months (to the calendar day- if you plan on starting March 6, call DVC September 6, although the day is over in Japan). As it was noted by Fukai on an earlier post, next year's chart was altered to make almost all of March a regular season, thus requiring more points. We'll be going for 6 days for 410 points. I think DVC's system has improved in that they can tell you almost immediately if there is availability at any of the three resorts. Before, you had to wait a couple of days, to my understanding. Can't wait!
    So, are you a DVC member or did you rent points from someone? I need to check out the points chart for sure! I'm thinking we may be going in mid-April.

Will this be a first time to visit TDR for you? I'll admit, our very first visit was just very much like "Okay, we live here, we have to go, right?" (husband is military, we were stationed in Japan) and that was well before the Disney bug took hold. Of course, now that we don't live in Japan, we are like "WHY DIDN'T WE GET APs AND GO ALL THE TIME???" Lol.

But, back to the maintenance issue, on our last trip in May, Pirates was down and it was so sad to walk by the attraction and it was all dark! Even my 3 year old was hanging her head, saying "Pirates broken."

Yes, we bonafide DVC members! My understanding is that points used for any Disney Collection must be the owners' points, borrowed or banked. So this first trip has us tapped out for the 2014 points!
    All of April is considered Peak Season according to the point chart: March 16-May 3.

"I'll admit, our very first visit was just very much like "Okay, we live here, we have to go, right?" (husband is military, we were stationed in Japan) and that was well before the Disney bug took hold. Of course, now that we don't live in Japan, we are like "WHY DIDN'T WE GET APs AND GO ALL THE TIME???" Lol."

-Ain't that the truth!!!

• Resident of the Caldera

They have made all of April peak season. After spring break and until Golden Week, it was value season until 2014. Greedy pigs.

Yes, if you're lucky enough to have a big contract, you'll blow the entire year's points on just 6 nights. Since you've spent about $2k on your yearly condo fees for DVC, those 6 nights are costing you $2k. You would save a lot of money by renting out your entire year of points and spending only a part of that for a room in cash.

DVC has been raising the amount of points to stay at any Disney hotel outside of DVC resorts pretty consistently.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.