• Tom Bricker

Question Another "Where to Stay When the Usual Hotels Are Booked Up?" Thread

We're planning a last minute trip to TDR November 21-26, 2013. The only hotel available for our stay is the Hilton Tokyo
    Bay for ~$340/night. Considering we paid ~$150/night last time, I can't justify that. I looked in the other thread at the names suggested there, but I don't see any of them having availability.

Based on a distance search, it appears that the following are our best options:

Pearl Hotel Kasai
    APA Hotel Tokyo-Shiomi-Ekimae
    Family Resort Fifty's for Maihama
    Hotel Lumiere Kasai
    Hotel Lumiere Nishikasai
    Toyoko Inn Tokyo Tozai-Sen Nishi-kasai
    Sotetsu Fresa Inn Tokyo-Toyocho

However, I know "raw" distance isn't the best measure of how long it takes to get from a hotel to TDR (depends upon walking, train stops, shuttle, etc.), so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these, or recommendations for other hotels that might not be listed on the booking engines?

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Another "Where to Stay When the Usual Hotels Are Booked Up?" Thread

Did you check the Oriental Land Company's other hotels in Shin-Urayasu? Palm and Fountain, Brighton? There's a third I can't remember.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Did you check the Oriental Land Company's other hotels in Shin-Urayasu? Palm and Fountain, Brighton? There's a third I can't remember.
    According to this, that's the extent of the hotels: MILIAL RESORT HOTELS

It sounds like Brighton might be another subsidiary of the OLC that owns other hotels? I can't get their page to translate via Chrome...

If you're considering Sotetsu Fresa Inn at Toyocho, check out the Sotetsu Fresa Inn at Kyobashi. We just got back from the latter, and it wasn't too bad. Distance wise it's farther then Toyocho, but from Kyobashi it's an easy 10 min walk to the JR line, with an easy 15 min direct line to Maihama. It's also closer to Tokyo Station, which was real covenient to the other places in Tokyo.

When I was originally planning our trip, we first considered Toyocho, but then considered Kyobashi.

If you have any questions IM me. I'd be more than happy to help.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

We stayed at the APA Shiomi-Ekimae for a few says during a lengthy visit to Japan. If the price is right, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone on a bit of a budget. The location is fantastic for anyone wanting to split time between Tokyo Disney and the rest of the city. As anyone who's been there can tell you:
    - Tokyo Disneyland is located approx 20 minutes away from the city center via the JR Keiyo line
    - It's a VERY LONG WALK between the JR Keiyo Line and other connections at Tokyo Station, allow at least 15 minutes for transfers there
    - It's very inconvenient to transfer from other lines to the Keiyo due to the above mentioned walk

So that rules out the majority of Tokyo's central hotels, which are usually very expensive anyway. Due to this we chose the APA Shiomi for a few days (the rest were spent at Sheraton Tokyo Bay, which was fantastic!). The room is tiny like most non-western Tokyo hotels, but we got a room for two for less than $90 a night which is just an absolute STEAL! The hotel was very well appointed and in a decent neighborhood. The hotel is about 1/2 a block from the JR station, and the train comes every 15 minutes (more often during peak times). The staff was excellent and although most did not speak English, they were very accommodating and welcoming to us. There's a Maruetsu supermarket right next to the Shiomi station (has plenty of western food) which also has a McDonalds inside. There'a also a convenience store and restaurant attached to the hotel so there are some cheap food options.

Overall for the price we paid and the convenience of the location, it's tough to beat the APA-Shiomi.

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by rushtest4echo View Post
    We stayed at the APA Shiomi-Ekimae for a few says during a lengthy visit to Japan. If the price is right, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone on a bit of a budget. The location is fantastic for anyone wanting to split time between Tokyo Disney and the rest of the city. As anyone who's been there can tell you:
    - Tokyo Disneyland is located approx 20 minutes away from the city center via the JR Keiyo line
    - It's a VERY LONG WALK between the JR Keiyo Line and other connections at Tokyo Station, allow at least 15 minutes for transfers there
    - It's very inconvenient to transfer from other lines to the Keiyo due to the above mentioned walk

So that rules out the majority of Tokyo's central hotels, which are usually very expensive anyway. Due to this we chose the APA Shiomi for a few days (the rest were spent at Sheraton Tokyo Bay, which was fantastic!). The room is tiny like most non-western Tokyo hotels, but we got a room for two for less than $90 a night which is just an absolute STEAL! The hotel was very well appointed and in a decent neighborhood. The hotel is about 1/2 a block from the JR station, and the train comes every 15 minutes (more often during peak times). The staff was excellent and although most did not speak English, they were very accommodating and welcoming to us. There's a Maruetsu supermarket right next to the Shiomi station (has plenty of western food) which also has a McDonalds inside. There'a also a convenience store and restaurant attached to the hotel so there are some cheap food options.

Overall for the price we paid and the convenience of the location, it's tough to beat the APA-Shiomi.
    Thanks, this is really helpful as it's one of two we've narrowed our search down to. For our stay, it's $790 (so around $158/night) versus around $90/night for Family Resort Fifty's for Maihama.

The problem is that the reviews aren't exactly glowing for Family Resort Fifty's, so I'm not entirely sure if we should pull the trigger on it. Ultimately, this is just a place for us to sleep, so I don't think it will make a big difference...

The hotel Lumiere Nishikasai should have a shuttle to TDR. If they do, it is a very quick drive. 10 minutes tops. I've stayed in this neighborhood before, and I loved it for easy access to both TDR and Tokyo. The subway station (when you want to go to Tokyo) is so small it takes just a moment or two to get onto the platform and there are lots of good services in the 'hood.

The shuttle should run twice in the morning. Once to get you at the gates well before opening, the other a bit later. In my experience you'll need to reserve the night before and there is no problem. If there is a problem, they should put you in a taxi at their expense.

The same might hold for the Lumiere Kasai. Kasai station is accessed from the airport directly by the limousine bus. To get to and from Nishikasai, you'd have to take the subway one stop to Kasai.

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    If you're considering Sotetsu Fresa Inn at Toyocho, check out the Sotetsu Fresa Inn at Kyobashi. We just got back from the latter, and it wasn't too bad. Distance wise it's farther then Toyocho, but from Kyobashi it's an easy 10 min walk to the JR line, with an easy 15 min direct line to Maihama. It's also closer to Tokyo Station, which was real covenient to the other places in Tokyo.

When I was originally planning our trip, we first considered Toyocho, but then considered Kyobashi.

If you have any questions IM me. I'd be more than happy to help.
    To be honest, if you're going with a Sotetsu Fresa Inn, I wouldn't choose Kyobashi for TDR. The perk of this chain is that they're super close to the train stations so you don't have to make that 10 minute walk. If you go with Kayabacho, it's just one station over to Hatchobori, where you can transfer to the Keiyo line.

If you stayed at Toyocho, it would've been a similar time frame, about 10-15 minutes to get to Hatchobori station, but you would be transferring trains as opposed to walking.