Is going in January miserable?

So, Halloween was a no go. Discussed with hubby, and even though one of our hotels that we'd been waitlisted on became available, it was going to mean dealing with the Tokyo trains going and coming and, if it was just us, that is one thing, but traveling with young children -- that becomes more difficult. So, we talked about that when we go, we want to stay at Miracosta (this might be our last trip to TDR for a long, long time) and of course it is already booked up all December. But, January is a totally different story. The dates we would need they have availability, but I'm just wondering what does it really feel like. I was looking up weather history for the past few years and it is 5-10 degrees colder than when we went last year at Christmas, but that doesn't account for wind, rain, etc. One year a few years back, it even snowed one day! I think I remember seeing pictures of it on the TDR Blog website -- quite beautiful, but not sure how much I'd want to be walking around in it.

Let me hear your experience if you've been in January and are we crazy for thinking about going then? One plus for sure, I love the idea of minimal crowds

Re: Is going in January miserable?

To add to Liz's questions:

How's the entertainment during January/February? Does Mythica/Fantasmic play daily at TDS and does Dreamlights go every night at TDL? I'm assuming that they'll all be going on the weekends when the parks are open till 10, but what about during the week when the parks close before 8? We've already missed Dreamlights when visiting in May and are considering visiting sometime next year, preferably during January or February and preferably not on a weekend!

• Just another Disney fan..

For the last several years it seems like it has snowed every year. The snow only stays for a few days.

Otherwise it's cold, wet, attraction and store refurbs, no special events unless you happen to be there the week of New Years, shows and entertainment dark, etc.

Take a look at the Temporary Closures page HERE.

If you don't mind the things that will be closed or not running, and you think you can weather the weather, then you should consider going. It isn't like no one goes. The parks are open and operating. It all depends on what is important for you to experience and if it will be offered.

And don't forget about the reduced weekday operating hours. Parks will close by 6:30PM to 8:00PM on most weekdays in January.

• Resident of the Caldera

It's miserable, but not as bad as February.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    It's miserable, but not as bad as February.
    Agreed February is worse. But "miserable" is all a matter of perspective, I had a friend who lived in northern Minnesota who said that it wasn't too bad at all. :-)

I went in early January 2010, and it had it's good points and bad points. It was really quite cold, but dry cold except for one day we were there. There were some ride closures, but they were annouced on the website so as long as you don't mind missing those rides it's not a problem.

The good part was that due to the cold and the time of year in general, the park was fairly empty. We didn't wait more than 15 minutes for a ride our entire trip (although we avoided the newest ride, at the time Monsters Inc.), and by far the majority were 5 minute waits. We did have to wear a few layers, but it gave us an opportunity to buy warm, fuzzy novelty Disney hats and gloves that you can only get in winter. I still use my Mickey Mouse mittens all the time back home!

All in all it's definitely not the most eventful time of year to go, but it still had the Disney magic and I found it far from miserable

I already experienced mid Jan to mid Feb,

Lots of attractions were closed at the time I visited, so make sure you check the new calendar to avoid these day if possible.

It is very cold, not because it is cold, but because of it is VERY windy. I could fell my feet freezing.

Fantasmic closed for 2 weeks last Feb I think, the park opened at 10 and closed at 7 on weekdays

Although there was no rain, but fireworks were cancelled everynights (I didnt know why)

However, what you will get is minimal crowd

I highly recommend you book a room at Miracosta, firstly is because the only chance you may get the room is Jan & Feb, secondly, it will be very cold, so if you r tired, go back to the room and rest few minutes.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post

If ... you think you can weather the weather, then you should consider going.
    Depends whether you can weather the weather, then?

• Resident of the Caldera

Turns out I might be going in January. Brrrr ... my teats are cold just thinking about it.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.