MiraCosta Booking

Someone brought this up, maybe earlier this year, about trying to book at MiraCosta as soon as the 6 month window is open and it is already showing as completely booked up. Well, I'm running into that very same problem. My 6 month window is but just a few days away and, just to have an idea, I've been going ahead and checking availability for the last day that the calendar will allow you to book and it is coming back with no rooms available. How is that possible? I was all for returning to the Hilton, but seems that here lately, their rates are only just a little cheaper than the Disney properties at the more popular times of the year, so my husband is like "let's just pay a little more to stay at MiraCosta". Is there a little trick I'm missing, a little loophole perhaps, where you can book earlier than that 6 month window? Otherwise, I have no idea how all the rooms -- at least, the less expensive rooms such as the Tuscany or Venice side -- are completely booked up as soon as that window opens up. Ideas? Anybody?

Re: MiraCosta Booking

If I can hijack the threat for a min here. Does the 6 month window start on Japan time (1 day earlier than here in the US) or do they expect you to wait until it's exactly 6 months where you live.
    Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012 :wizard:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0960612&type=3

I'm going with the idea that it starts with when it is 6 months from Japan time, whether that is when the telephone Reservation system opens or whatever time the website will allow you to book from 6 months out; in regards to the website (booking online) I don't know if that would be from when the clock strikes midnight or some other time that day or whenever the program that they use opens up the window. Which actually does bring up a good point -- I wonder if the website goes down for a period at night (as a lot of websites tend to do their maintenance that way) and then when it comes back up, is that when it opens up?

I've also wondered about the idea behind "walking a reservation" -- I read about that on another Disney board. Where, when you actually want, let's say the 10-14 of a month, but the window is only open up until the 9th, so you go ahead and book the 9-14th and then just modify your dates to the dates you need.

Yep! That was me who mentioned this earlier in the year. At least people know I'm not crazy now...LOL. Hope the reservation worked out for you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by greenkai3000 View Post
    If I can hijack the threat for a min here. Does the 6 month window start on Japan time (1 day earlier than here in the US) or do they expect you to wait until it's exactly 6 months where you live.
    The reservation windows starts exactly at 9am Japanese Standard Time (This is also the same time for Restaurant & Show reservations, the window here just starts one month ahead).

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    The reservation windows starts exactly at 9am Japanese Standard Time (This is also the same time for Restaurant & Show reservations, the window here just starts one month ahead).
    I couldn't remember if it started at 8, 9, or 10. Was just about to go look it up, but now I guess I don't have to. I've stayed at the MiraCosta twice, for Spring Voyage. Both times, we had three different people trying to both call AND refresh the website all at the same time, all at the moment of opening. Each time, ONE of us got through to make the reservation. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    ...I've also wondered about the idea behind "walking a reservation" -- I read about that on another Disney board. Where, when you actually want, let's say the 10-14 of a month, but the window is only open up until the 9th, so you go ahead and book the 9-14th and then just modify your dates to the dates you need.
    As mentioned above, reservations are from 9AM, Tokyo time, six months before the date of reservation. Last minute cancellations (and any time between) are fairly common, too, though. Folks who really wanna stay there check several times a day, every day, usually in teams with everyone checking.

I've heard about people having success with that "walking reservation" strategy, too. My advice is try it. If you get stuck with a date you don't really need, you can cancel it without a penalty up to a certain point, I think maybe one month in advance or something. Maybe even a week. Having a reservation and trying to move the date is definitely better than no reservation, I reckon.

You mentioned wanting to come in six months' time. That's during Spring Voyage. I would strongly recommend the Duffy room. Even if you don't want the bonus gifts, almost no one sells those items outside of Japan. You could almost definitely sell all of them on eBay or something to offset your costs. I don't condone price gouging or scalping, but as long as you're willing to sell them at reasonable prices and ship from within the US (I'm assuming?), you'd be helping people get stuff they really like, plus saving on your room. Unfortunately details of Spring Voyage, including MiraCosta gifts, won't be announced until probly the first half or mid-December.

Again, good luck. I really hope it all works out the way you hope!

Awesome Duffy! Yeah, I went ahead and booked for a couple of our nights. I'll keep checking, EVERY DAY IF I HAVE TO!, until we get the Spring Voyage trip we want. But, a Duffy room?? Aww, geez, how do you even go about getting that? Is that on the Japanese page only? Should I just be calling and trying to make a reservation instead of doing it online?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Awesome Duffy! Yeah, I went ahead and booked for a couple of our nights. I'll keep checking, EVERY DAY IF I HAVE TO!, until we get the Spring Voyage trip we want. But, a Duffy room?? Aww, geez, how do you even go about getting that? Is that on the Japanese page only? Should I just be calling and trying to make a reservation instead of doing it online?
    The Duffy Rooms are both online and over the phone. We did both, but it's a domestic call here; that's the challenge. I'm not sure, but are you charged if your call doesn't actually connect, like if you get a busy signal? If not, I think it's totally worth it to try calling. Remember to leave a little time in advance to get through the automated guidance system, about a minute or maybe two, I think?

They're also listed in English online, but they won't be available now. The announcement was sometime in December last year, I think. I hope you get lucky!

Cancellations happen all the time at the TDR hotels and yes, you should check many times every day for these.

Duffy Rooms? Any pics of them anywhere? Lol

Are there any advantages if we book online as opposed to over the phone or vice versa? Also, the DL Paris website offers great discounts for those who use the French version, even if they're not French Nationals. Does anyone know if the Japanese website have more offers than the English version?
    Walt Disney World Off-Site January 2001, Off-Site July 2001, Off-Site January 2003, All-Star Movies January 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2007, Cabins at Fort Wilderness July 2010, Port Orleans Riverside August 2013.

Disneyland Paradise Pier October 2011, Grand Californian December 2012 .

Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel June 2012 :wizard: