• Surfin the net with Duffy

Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea Parks Attendance Figures for the First Half 13

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    October 1, 2013
    Publicity Department Oriental Land Co., Ltd.
    Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea Parks Attendance Figures for the First Half of Fiscal Year 2013
    URAYASU, CHIBA—Tokyo Disney Resort® announced today that the total combined attendance at Tokyo Disneyland® Park and Tokyo DisneySea® Park during the first half of this fiscal year (April 1 to September 30, 2013) amounted to a record high figure of 15,359,000 persons (an increase of 2,109,000 persons or 115.9% of the attendance figure for the same period last year).
    During the first half of this fiscal year, the new Tokyo Disneyland daytime parade “Happiness Is Here,” presented from April 15 as part of the “Tokyo Disney Resort 30th Anniversary „The Happiness Year‟” celebration, as well as the new attraction Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (opened May 7) attracted Guests to the Parks. The special events, filled with seasonal happiness, held at the two Parks also proved to be highly popular.
    In addition to these programs, Tokyo Disney Resort’s celebration of its 30th anniversary, a major milestone, motivated Guests to visit the Parks and effectively generated an attendance surpassing the figures from the previous years.
    Moreover, favorable external factors such as the low number of rainy days, the rise in the number of travelers within Japan, and higher demand for leisure activities resulted in a significant increase in the number of Guests visiting the Parks from the Tokyo metropolitan area and vicinity, making this fiscal year’s first half attendance our highest ever.
    <Reference>
    FY2012 1st Half Attendance: FY2011 1st Half Attendance: FY2010 1st Half Attendance: FY2009 1st Half Attendance: FY2008 1st Half Attendance:
    13,250,000 persons (previous record high) 10,739,000 persons
    12,954,000 persons
    12,301,000 persons
    13,048,000 persons

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Re: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea Parks Attendance Figures for the First Half

It just means the queues are getting even longer
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

• Banned User

Re: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea Parks Attendance Figures for the First Half

wait till you read the full fact book of OLC you can see in the entertainment department that it has a significant budget cut on all entertainment throughout the resort special event special shows and fireworks are also in the budget cuts and this is the worst news starting next year the both will be increasing its prices again instead of 6200 yen it will be 6400 yen in each park talk about price hikes yeesh. while usj is picking up the pace over potter and other new offerings into their parks.

• Just another Disney fan..

Not surprised that there is a budget cut next year.

This is year was the 30th anniversary so a lot was spent on the new parade and other entertainment plussed for the anniversary. They also probably paid already most of the cost of the new castle projection show in this year's budget.

I'd like to know how next years budget compares to 2011 or 2012 entertainment budget.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

From TDRdeASOBlog:

I'm not sure I understand these charts. One is cost of sales and one is cost of revenues. Cost of sales is for 2007-2012. Cost of revenues is for 2003-2008.

Is the full data available somewhere?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

OLC GROUP > Investor Relations > IR Library : Fact Book

Sorry. I actually didn't even look at the headers, just remembered seeing this the other day on TDRdeASOblog. I haven't had a chance to really go through the Fact Books, but they go back to at least 2008, so if you take the time and gain some insights, hope you'll share them!^^

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    OLC GROUP > Investor Relations > IR Library : Fact Book

Sorry. I actually didn't even look at the headers, just remembered seeing this the other day on TDRdeASOblog. I haven't had a chance to really go through the Fact Books, but they go back to at least 2008, so if you take the time and gain some insights, hope you'll share them!^^
    ありがとうございます!(^_ー)

A quick look and assessment indicates to me that as suspected, entertainment costs have been on a steady and steep decline since 2009. However, overall cost has remained relatively the same over the same period (total cost for merchandise, food and beverages, personnel expenses and other expenses) with a large jump for 2013. I'm guessing this is due to money spent on the 30th anniversary.

2013 cost increases are notable for merchandise (money spent to procure merchandise for sale), food (money spent to buy food), personnel expenses (paying salaries) and even "other expense" which includes entertainment.

So "other expenses" has gone up, but entertainment has gone down. Looking at the breakdown you will see large increases for things like materials and outsourcing. Significant increases can be seen in renovation of facilities. Even royalties paid (I'm assuming to Disney) went up 10%.

It appears that with all these large increases in "other expenses", entertainment is the one thing that was determined to cut to try to offset these other increases. Materials and renovations seem like the types of things that are more "have to have". And of course they have to pay their royalties.

Trying to minimize overall costs in order to maximize profit is part of most every business plan. For OLC, entertainment is the one thing they see as discretionary cost.

And with attendance still on the rise, I'm guessing those in charge don't see any negative effects of cutting back entertainment, except for maybe having to take some criticism (which doesn't carry much weight I'm sure).

Until they cut back entertainment to the point where they start seeing revenue decline due to Guest dissatisfaction, I think entertainment will continue to be a target of reduction.

I'm very curious to see what the entertainment budget is for 2014.
    Last edited by Roger55; 10-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.

• Resident of the Caldera

I won't see it until next week, but the new parade floats for Halloween look far less interesting than Spookyville--less detail and much simpler. There is no stage show in either resort for Halloween. And the souvenirs and merchandise have also moved away from the more interesting and slightly more expensive items, with much more low-market stuff. A pity.

I'd rather see them put their money into new attractions, but I'm not the average Japanese park goer. The parades and shows seem to be almost 50% of the park-going experience for them.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

The other 50% is merchandise! I actually had a young woman tell me the other day that she has to be careful about choosing who she goes to TDR with because she doesn't like to ride attractions!

• Banned User

and some repeaters of TDR only want to go because of new parades and shows and attractions and merchandise is a must in TDR.When I go to TDR I spend more of my money in exclusive merchandise that can only be found in TDL or TDS.

The "もんく”'ing by the local repeat goers has been getting louder over the past several years. Most foreign Guests do not notice the decline unless they too are repeat goers.

I myself have notice the decline, less castle shows, simpler decorations, etc. However, I still can appreciate all the OLC/TDR still does. Their theming and seasonal offerings are still way above what the US parks offer.

And speaking of the US parks, with the recent and soon to happen refreshing of the parades on both coasts, the plussing up of Halloween, Limited Time Magic and of course the recent large expansion projects at both resorts, things are looking up for those of us based in the US.

Limited Time Magic is such a joke. And combined with the upcharging of Halloween events, I'm not sure if things are "looking up" for the US parks.

• Resident of the Caldera

They've done a great job so far with the redo of California Adventure. Guests love it. And the Monster's Inc. Door Coaster is coming, as are some other items in Phase II.
    Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will open at WDW next year, and Avatar at Animal Kingdom two years after that.

Definitely stuff happening here (including the two parades that Roger55 mentioned).

I still think the original Disneyland is the best single Disney park, but the Tokyo Resort is best overall when taking into account the second gate, hotels, transporation, the food, and of course the cast members: no one beats the Japanese for cleanliness and service. (I think we all have a good laugh about that when Shanghai Disneyland opens.)

Even if I see a bit less fresh paint at TDR than I used to, and fewer shows in front of the Castle (to which I could never win a lottery seat anyway), that doesn't bother me. It would take a huge decline for me to change my opinion and that doesn't seem likely.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.