Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: Tokyo D23 October 12 to 14

Thanks DD for all the reports. Looking forward to days 2-3 reports!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I spoke to some friends who attended the first day too! But only were able to check out the exhibits. Apparently the presentations were tickets only and fully sold out. DD it had been suggested that new projects from the Star Wars universe were going to be announced for TDL. Are there any upcoming presentations coming up on Sunday(today) where things might get announced. Since Tom Staggs presentation seem to concentrate more on the other parks?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    There were models of each park in the "Happiness Takes People" exhibition, but photos were explicitly prohibited nearly everywhere. I actually found this confusing, especially as it's the first international D23. It seems like it should be a point of the event to a) promote itself and b) promote the brand.

Are photos also prohibited in the US and people just ignore it, cos I've seen TONS of photos and even video from the US D23...?
    Bummer about the photo restrictions. Photos are definitely allowed of the exhibits at the California expo as hundreds appeared on sites like this one. Would love to see hi-res pics of those Tokyo models (never seen a TDL model).

Staggs reportedly showed new slides and discussed details of Shanghai DL. Any more info on what was revealed?

If there were to be an announcement about something major coming to TDR (e.g., Star Wars Land, Fantasy Forest, Soarin, new port at TDS, etc.) I had guessed it would be made by Iger or Staggs (joining OLC brass) during their presentations, but it seems that has passed...

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I was kinda hoping for bigger TDR news, too. And I see online people keep talking about Kilimanjaro night-time expansion in the Staggs presentation, but I don't remember anything about that at all.

As for Shanghai, I think there were a couple of new pieces of artwork maybe. There was an animated rendering of the park "growing" out of the ground that I'd never seen before. But no new info about attractions other than what's already known about Storybook Castle. He did say that there would be "new attractions and completely new takes on traditional Disneyland attractions," or something like that, and asserted as we already know that it will be a Magic Kingdom-style park. He also said, or someone in a video said...can't remember...that the infrastructure is basically complete and it will start really taking shape from now.

All of the Avatar info was new to me, as I hadn't been following what, until now, seemed little better than a rumor to me. It is much more impressive than I anticipated and I am far more excited about it than I thought I would be. While AVATAR is visually amazing, the down-on-his-luck-white-ex-soldier-goes-to-foreign-land-where-they-clean-him-up-restore-his-soul-he-takes-their-princess-from-their-best-warrior-and-her-father-dies-after-giving-approval-so-that-white-savior-who-has-now-learned-and-EXCELLED-in-native-traditions-can-be-given-unanimous-consent-to-become-the-new-chief a la Dances With Wolves and Last Samurai (though, thankfully, LS doesn't go ALL the way) really put me off of the story. But I still love the world of Pandora, and would probably like a theme park attraction much better than the movie. Especially if it actually turns out how they're planning.

Maybe there will be more about TDR in the ticketed "Happiness Takes People" presentation today? I chose Kingdom Hearts over that, too, because I suspected it may be mostly a video. I actually think that my D23 buddy and I are doing other stuff in Tokyo today and not going to D23 at all. It's too bad we don't have somebody to loan our passes to for the day. Mottainai!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-12-2013 at 07:02 PM.

• Artistic integrity

9am Monday morning in Tokyo right now. One more day of this expo.

I'm hoping to get through the day with no announcements for Star Wars taking over Tomorrowland in Disneyland Anaheim.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Adventures with Duffy

I agree with you on that one. I like Star Tours, thats fine. Star Wars land is more of a Studio Park, not MK/DL.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Banned User

there are some problens happened in D23 this week in TDR first and foremost the parks have been in full capacity since D23 has started and D23 shop had been sold out since it opened a few hours.Ikspiari Cinema for the special viewings for DisneyChannel series and the anniversary specials are full and some guests that has the tickets didnt watch the viewings because of the limited capacity and other D23 areas literally scattered all over the resort and limited D23 merchandise were sold out in Disney Store and Plus the three day holiday in Japan and the halloween event.some japanese bloggers were shocked because of the sea of people to the resort some were disappointed but others said that it was worth the wait.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Bob Iger's presentation apparently also included a couple of new Mickey shorts:

Mickey Goes to Tokyo / ミッキーの東京へゴー
    The Great Mission to Rescue Minnie / ミッキーのミニー救出大作戦

I'm not really sure about the English titles, so I'm including the Japanese in the hopes that someone here knows more about these projects. Iger also presented the previously mentioned two works from Pixar, the short Monsters Party and the TV special Toy Story of Terror.

And I don't know why this isn't being reported all over the place, as it's the most STUNNINGLY UNEXPECTED and FANTASTICALLY WONDERFUL news...

During yesterday's Kingdom Hearts presentation, John Pleasants, Co-President at Disney Interactive, announced that...

DISNEY MAGIC CASTLE: My Happy Life
    is COMING TO NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE!!!

I never thought I would get the chance to play this in English. All it needs now are Duffy, ShellieMay and Cape Cod and I am in endless geek heaven!

I have to admit to being a little bummed that the Kingdom Hearts event was also used to heavily push Disney Infinity (before it really got underway and then respectfully not mentioned again) and yet we weren't given the free Sorcerer Mickey figures that folks in the US got. At D23 Japan, this would have been as simple as just leaving one on each seat for all the attendees of this single event. It made me sad that no one thought of it, but I really think it's that no one thought of it, not a cheap out. Also, maybe they worried it could overshadow Kingdom Hearts. But I'd have been much more comfortable with the Disney Infinity plug during the KH presentation if I'd gotten one, especially if it had been a new sculpt with Mickey holding up the hat like in the D23 logo and was a Japan/event exclusive. This would've also been a very savvy marketing/business move. Oh well. Still a wonderful presentation. I am so happy with all the things I chose to do, and as usual, there was plenty of unexpected Disney magic sprinkled everywhere.

The event organizers and staff were helpful and awesome, and I loved the event overall.

UPDATE: I realize now (I think) that the "Minnie Rescue" short is actually a classic short called "Get a Horse!" and it will play with FROZEN. Now I'm thinking I may have read that "Mickey Goes to Tokyo" part totally wrong... I'll check it out later.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-14-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Mickey goes to Tokyo was already out a few months ago
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12