Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Some Changes at TDL...Some NOT good :(

Reports are coming out that a Monsters Inc ride will be opening at TDL in time for or around their 25th anniversary celebration in 2008.

Also, reports of a closure.. The Mystery Castle Tour, one of TDL's few unique attractions will be closing before the summer, with no replacement yet announced.

Finally, rumors are flying about possible cancellation or termination of several streetmosphere entertainment shows through the resort (both TDL and TDS) due to restructuring of the Entertainment division.

TDLFAN is most unhappy about some of these developments, and for those of you who enjoy streetmosphere, it would be advisable to stop by Guest Relations at both TDL and TDS and tell them if you enjoyed any particular streetmosphere performances...hopefully they will change their minds.

Very sad news indeed.

Credit to Laughingplace.com's Lee MacDonald for announcing these items at that fine site.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 01-31-2006 at 02:43 PM.

• e komo mai

Re: Some Changes at TDL...Some NOT good :(

I'm wondering if labor costs did in the Castle Tour? I heard it was a tour with a live CM every 20 minutes or so.

• Banned User

Labor costs never seemed to be a problem at TDR. Parades have casts of hundreds, Custodials seems to be everywhere, restaurants are well manned... If Labor is becoming a problem with them to the point of cutbacks, then I anticipate TDR to go downhill just like the MK has at WDW. Me not so happy about this.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Well the Monsters Inc Ride was kind of expected, so that could be a welcomed change, especially if it gets the flashlight interactivity.

The closure of Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour makes no sense...especially because it was added when people commented about not being able to go into the castle. I don't doubt they want to add a restaurant to it...it is such a hit in Florida. Lame. And they announce it now to close in April...but then again MicroAdventure was supposed to close last April...

As far as the Streetmosphere...wow. I am shocked because this weekend in WDW I noticed tons of Streetmosphere...and now TDL wants to cut back? Wow.

• Banned User

I have noticed some streetsmosphere at WDW but in reality...TDR surpases WDW's streetsmosphere by almost 4 to 1. There is just so much going on at TDS and TDL during the daytime.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yeah but having never seen TDl myself I can't compare it to WDW's...but Saturday at noon they had the mayor out on Main Street, right across from a musical group, right as the Trolley Song performers came down the street...the Frontierland seemed to be doing the Hoedown like ever 15 mintues and Woody & Jessie were out in Frontierland every time I passed by. It was impressive because it was noticeably higher amounts of charecters and performers.

• Sea Creature

NOOOO! I have childhood memories of Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour! I still have the medallion I got for being the hero at the end! I'm REALLY going to miss it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Yeah but having never seen TDl myself I can't compare it to WDW's...
    It a cleaner, more colorful, and expansive version of the MK, with a dash of DL to improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    but Saturday at noon they had the mayor out on Main Street, right across from a musical group, right as the Trolley Song performers came down the street...the Frontierland seemed to be doing the Hoedown like ever 15 mintues and Woody & Jessie were out in Frontierland every time I passed by. It was impressive because it was noticeably higher amounts of charecters and performers.
    But at TDS for example...the have the TDS Marching band in Aquasphere Plaza, the Flag twirlers in Med Harbour, the rope jumpers, bellhop quartet, Jammitors, ragtime quartet and many characters in American waterfront, while Lost River Delta features the acrobatic monkeys.. Arabian Coast have the belly dancers and musicians and the Camel guy (comedian)..while Mysterious Island feature the lava men..etc etc and that's only a part of TDS... may I start with TDL's lineup now or have you heard enough?

• Having a Grand Day!

I've been to Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland, and while Tokyo Disneyland was very Clean and well maintained, and their pooh kicks Disneyland's butt, it just lacks the charm.

TDLFAN has jumped down my throat about this, because of TDL's extrawide walkways, it has the negative affect of feeling SMALLER than Disneyland, when in reality it is larger in space (Attractions are a different matter).

TDL's Tommorowland is like 20 years ago-land, their monorail is *cute* (and I hate the way everything in TDL advertising is *cute*), World Bazar has pro's in it's size and range, but it would be so much better if they decided to stick to 1900's USA rather than let the 1930's and 1950's invade, and finaly, no park-wide railroad is a BIG blunder. Even if it only had one stop, that would be better than the solution that was decided on. It totaly looses the magic of crossing under the railroad tracks.

I will fogive TDL on the folowing points: Merchandice is much better at TDL, and because it is in Japan Custermer Service is ten times better.
    Also, Scrooge is a Walk Around Character (He Seems Popular with the OLC... Might also be due to the fact there are enougth people in Japan small enougth to fit into the ducks costume) - I WANT SCROOGE and HDL!!!!!

I might be going back to TDL in Jan 2006, but only as a Day trip while I'm in Japan with a Friend. I Still Want to Do TDR properly, staying on property and visiting both parks over an extended period of time but that might not be for at least a decade - WDW is sligtly higher on the list of priorities.
    Last edited by drnilescrane; 01-30-2006 at 09:56 PM.

• Banned User

Hey, you are entitled to your opinions as well on the park. I do disagree in the charm dept. I think the park is very pretty and while it does mirror the older MK feel at WDW, I do like it so because the MK was the park I gre up with and TDL's feel is all I have left from my childhood memories at the MK in the early 70s. Besides... it's not like updated new lands have been a hit with the fans or guests. Just look how they destroyed DL's Tomorrowland with that lame attempt at DLP's Discoveryland theme. So forgive me for being cautious and wary of new developments and renovations at TDL or any other Disney park.

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    TDLFAN has jumped down my throat about this, because of TDL's extrawide walkways, it has the negative affect of feeling SMALLER than Disneyland, when in reality it is larger in space (Attractions are a different matter).
    That doesn't make any sense to me. TDL has always been a very expansive park in size and has never had the feeling of intimacy you get at DL. Ever. Anyone who visits TDL after being to the other DL parks will immediately recognize that TDL is in fact HUGE as opposed to the other parks. They make no excuses about that nor try to make the park appear smaller in any way.

Also for the record, and I have said this before on this board and many others... I *do* love the original DL almost as much as I love TDL... the charming surroundings and intimate feel that has not been duplicated at any other DL-type park, and the impressive roster of attractions (some of them quite unique to DL, make this park a winner as well...as IT SHOULD BE.

As for the cute factor... well tough! That's how the japanese like their characters. So why change it to fit your individual feeling on this? I enjoy the characters at TDL as much as I enjoy them at WDW, DLR and HKDL. DLP...well not that much...they do not portray them with true personality as they do at the other parks...may have to do with improper training or just lazy attitudes, but that's a different topic altogether.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 01-30-2006 at 10:23 PM.

• Banned User

Links to Joe's TDR Site concering these breaking news...

http://www.jtcent.com/extras/news.html

• Having a Grand Day!

Do you know where Monster's Inc. will fit into Tommorowland?

(BTW, I think WDW's Tommorowland would work... If they can bother to complete the Job properly. TDL's tommorowland is very static and could do with some movement.)

• Minion

I'm very disappointed with the Oriental Land Co. .... to give the executive order to populate Tomorrowland with yet another contemporary toon type attraction!

I heard the rumblings by someone who lives in Japan ... that more than half of Tomorrowland would give way to a "Hollywood" type land ... leaving only Space Mountain and the Starjets the "futuristic" theme.

A "Monsters Inc/ Hide and Seek" ride is another step closer to that.

Why not that "Sci-Fi" land idea that I heard so little about?

Is this to say that OLC with all it's class for decades by holding up Walt's standards and philosophies that they are throwing in the towel ... and commission WDI to create anything .. even if it has absolutely nothing to do with the themes revolving around Tomorrrowland?

Or is WDI so dried up with ANY "Tomorrowland" ideas for all 5 of it's "magic kingdom" parks ... that it's all toon related crap! Sorry ... but thats the way I see it ... with the direction being taken with any "Tomorrowland" project of the last 10 or so years.

Seems the very last true 'Tomorrowland/sh' type ride to come out of WDI for the US Walt Disney Co. controlled parks,or OLC's TDL ...was Space Mountain.

Even Captain EO and Star Tours have themes pushing too close to "toon" styled characters.

Those two were the "transition" into this da** era of all this contemporary toon/sh crap ..... and it is so sad that now Disney has completely sold out on the concept of Tomorrowland.

It's sad.

I always thought OLC would have had the sense to stay close to the ideals and premise of the original "Tomorrowland" concept.

To me .. OLC was the last place that held up those standards. And this ride as far as I'm concerned confirms OLC sold-out on TOMORROWland.

I expected better out of the OLC.
    Last edited by Escapé; 01-30-2006 at 10:43 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Do you know where Monster's Inc. will fit into Tommorowland?

(BTW, I think WDW's Tommorowland would work... If they can bother to complete the Job properly. TDL's tommorowland is very static and could do with some movement.)
    Are you asking where the ride will go? As far as I know, it will be the former "Meet the World" building which was in itself as far from the Tomorrowland theme as you can possibly get. But if you are asking if Mosnters fit into the scheme of things in Tomorrowland... No, I don't think it should be placed in Tomorrowland.
    I would not like to see Pixar take over Tomorrowland, and disagree with it's location, but not trying to make excuses here for management, but I rather see "Monsters" come to the "Meet The World" building as opposed to see this building sit there un-used and decaying, especially now that the Lotto Distribution Center was relocated to the 1st floor of the old TL Skyway station. Maybe we need to finally concede that the TL concept was flawed from the very beginning in 1955... I dunno. Not even EPCOT pulled it off successfully.

But honestly? I am more concerned about what will happen to the castle now that the tour will close... That scares the Pooh out of me!!

• Disney Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Escapé
    I'm very disappointed with the Oriental Land Co. .... to give the executive order to populate Tomorrowland with yet another contemporary toon type attraction!

Is this to say that OLC with all it's class for decades by holding up Walt's standards and philosophies that they are throwing in the towel ... and commission WDI to create anything .. even if it has absolutely nothing to do with the themes revolving around Tomorrrowland?

Or is WDI so dried up with ANY "Tomorrowland" ideas for all 5 of it's "magic kingdom" parks ... that it's all toon related crap! Sorry ... but thats the way I see it ... with the direction being taken with any "Tomorrowland" project of the last 10 or so years.

Seems the very last true 'Tomorrowland/sh' type ride to come out of WDI for the US Walt Disney Co. controlled parks,or OLC's TDL ...was Space Mountain.

Even Captain EO and Star Tours have themes pushing too close to "toon" styled characters.

Those two were the "transition" into this da** era of all this contemporary toon/sh crap ..... and it is so sad that now Disney has completely sold out on the concept of Tomorrowland.

It's sad.

I always thought OLC would have had the sense to stay close to the ideals and premise of the original "Tomorrowland" concept.

To me .. OLC was the last place that held up those standards. And this ride as far as I'm concerned confirms OLC sold-out on TOMORROWland.

I expected better out of the OLC.
    Good lord, you're forgetting the reason TDR is so popular in Japan in the first place: The Characters. That's why TDS isn't as popular as TDL Because the cute disney characters are not as dominant. That's why the Japanese don't really care as much for TDS' nighttime shows as they do the ones in TDL because it doesn't show enough of the characters, that's why every show in the resort has Mickey and friends. That's why pooh's Hunny Hunt is the most popular attraction in all the resort. The reason it's all getting "toon styled" is because that's what the market wants. Don't you dare fault them for wanting to please their consumers. It's not about holding up Walt's Standard's and Philosophies for the OLC, it's about satisfying their consumers!

And you patronize this thing you call the "original tommorowland concept". Which in reality is an constantly outdated concept of the future from the last century which feels aesthetically unappealing to the contemporary tastes. This in turn alienates the consumers who are the very reason these things are supposed to exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast