Question about Journey to the Center of the Earth (SPOILERS)

This fall I've been to Disney Sea and even though I was alone I took all my courage and rode the Journey ride. First of all, the atmosphere during the pre-ride walkthrough to the cars was great. It made me pretty nervous but you really get the feeling that you're in the story. The ride itself is amazing. It is so beautiful, especially the Lava Monster. After that, the ride went pretty fast and was a huge thrill..

Now on to the question itself. During the pre-ride you ride an elevator to what feels like the top of Mt. Prometheus. After that you slowly descent with the car, seeing wonderful creatures along the way. However, aren't these creatures supposed to live at the center of the earth? I was pretty amazed that after the fast decent when passing the Lava Monster the ride was over. Why does the ride go UP (using the elevators) when you're supposed to be at the center of the Earth.

• TDR Guest

Re: Question about Journey to the Center of the Earth (SPOILERS)

You enter the mountain in a high level and the ”Terravator" takes you "down"* towards a deeper part of the mountain. When you see the lava monster, you race UP towards the opening and out momentarily.

* NOTE: Within the story and effects, the elevator goes down closer towards the center but in reality the elevator is going up to a higher floor.
    Last edited by DeepDMan; 11-24-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    For daily photo updates and more on Tokyo Disney Resort, visit us at http://www.deepdisney.net/ . Have a question about Tokyo, Japan or Tokyo Disney Resort, let me know!

• Resident of the Caldera

Every one of your senses should tell you that the Terravator is taking you down. Watch the float in the depth level in the elevator: it's descending.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

The Terravator has to go up practically speaking so that the rest of the ride goes down. From the beginning of the ride to just before the Lava Monster, the ride is continuously going downhill so you feel like you're tunneling to the center of the earth. If the Terravator took you down, you'd have nowhere else to go down. You can only go down so deep. From a show standpoint, the Terravator employs numerous effects to simulate you going DOWN, like shaking, lighting, and different pressure gauges and such.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess seeing those ride carts from the outside of Mt Prometheus racing downhill got in the way of the Terravator's illusion of actually going down.