Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

the opening salvo for 2015 attraction.

Today TDR facebook page Announce that there is a new attarction its a brand new theater type replacing captain EO.its kinda like stitch encounter with lilo or something new.

• Not here to help

Re: the opening salvo for 2015 attraction.

Why don´t they just add an attraction themed to the future?...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

URAYASU, CHIBA— Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that a new attraction will open in Tomorrowland at Tokyo Disneyland® Park in summer 2015. The new theater-type
    attraction will be themed to Disney’s Lilo & Stitch, and can be enjoyed by children and
    adults.
    Notes: In preparation for the opening of this attraction, Captain EO will close on June 30, 2014.
    http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/tdr/20131219_01e.pdf

• Banned User

It's stitch encounter replacing Captain EO and it costs 2 billion yen.

• Banned User

Two Stitch Themed Attractions in one Park. Perhaps OLC can remove him from the Tiki Room since this is an abysmal show. One of the worst and even makes Under New Management look good.

• Banned User

come to think of it since the tower of terror they have been cloning attractions ever since exhibit A Toy Story,Star tours 2,Stitch encounter turtle talk with crush.
    my comment is having cloning attractions is not always good/bad idea but foreign tourists might feel a bit down terms of attractions but the good news is the interactive environment is always beautiful and the theming is always in high standards.

• Just another Disney fan..

I think Stitch Encounter is amusing and it is certainly better than Captain EO.

The Japanese Guests will welcome the addition. My concern is that it might possibly get "old" sooner than one would hope for a 2 billion yen (~$20 million) investment.

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Two Stitch Themed Attractions in one Park. Perhaps OLC can remove him from the Tiki Room since this is an abysmal show. One of the worst and even makes Under New Management look good.
    Agree about two Stitch attractions in one park being excessive. Disagree about TDL's Tiki Room. I didn't think it was amazing, but I thought it worked. Showed the "sweet" side of Stitch. Certainly better than the abrasive UNM.

• Resident of the Caldera

No Disney Resort has ever done this before: had both Turtle Talk with Crush and Stitch Encounter at two different parks within the same resort.

This is about the cheapest thing OLC could stick in that theater. What a pity.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Really looking forward to read more.I was thinking of using this style for the site .

• Banned User

come to think of it since the tower of terror they have been cloning attractions ever since exhibit A Toy Story,Star tours 2,Stitch encounter turtle talk with crush.
    my comment is having cloning attractions is not always good/bad idea but foreign tourists might feel a bit down terms of attractions but the good news is the interactive environment is always beautiful and the theming is always in high standards.
    Monsters Inc which came after the Tower of Terror was very unique. Also some of the recent smaller attractions have been especially created for the Resort. Goofy's Paint n Play House and Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall were also built for TDL only. Plus TDR will soon be making some very interesting changes to to the Jungle Cruise and the Mermaid Lagoon Theatre which have not been tried else where. I care very little for the Crush and Stitch shows but feel the other clone attractions like Toy Story Mania, Mickey's Philharmagic and Star Tours: The Adventure Continues have been solid additions to the line up.

The Japanese Guests will welcome the addition. My concern is that it might possibly get "old" sooner than one would hope for a 2 billion yen (~$20 million) investment.
    With every performance being different and unique it stands a good chance of lasting several years without becoming dated. And with the technology involved it can become quite easy for them to add new story line elements to the attraction. The fact Japanese Guests like you have already stated will welcome this new addition makes me happy. It will give 160 people every 10-15 minutes something different to do which will result in smaller waits in lines else where around the Park. 160 Guests is not much but if the show does say 4 shows an hour and you calculate that over a 12 hour time period then the maths works it out at around 7680 Guests per day which will have a positive impact on overall ride capacity for this Park.

Agree about two Stitch attractions in one park being excessive. Disagree about TDL's Tiki Room. I didn't think it was amazing, but I thought it worked. Showed the "sweet" side of Stitch. Certainly better than the abrasive UNM.
    I certainly respect your opinion Tom. For me the reason that I dislike
    Aloha E Komo Mai! is that to me it feels like just a long winded introduction to Stitch. With a few storyline changes it could be good. The second reason I don't care much for the show is that "Get the Fever!" was a much better show.

No Disney Resort has ever done this before: had both Turtle Talk with Crush and Stitch Encounter at two different parks within the same resort.
    Except Hong Kong Disneyland which had both Stitch and Crush running over the Summer in 2008. Also WDW has Milf and Crush although given its size it can be forgiven, right?

This is about the cheapest thing OLC could stick in that theater. What a pity.
    Remember it's 7680 Guests per day capacity.

With every performance being different and unique it stands a good chance of lasting several years without becoming dated.
    "Several years" is exactly what I am concerned about. Pooh's Hunny Hunt has been opened 13+ years and still packs in Guests. Tower of Terror at TDS has been open 7+ years and similarly is still very popular. Haunted Mansion has been open 30 years since TDL opened and it pulls in a huge number of Guests daily.

"Several years" expectation for Stitch Encounter just seems to be a low bar compared to what could have been done instead.

Turtle Talk at TDS shares many of the same "technology", "interactive experience" and "each show being unique" characteristics. One only has to look at the popularity of Turtle Talk to get a good idea of how popular Stitch Encounter will be several years from now, albeit Stitch is a more loved character and the location in TL is much better than where Turtle Talk is hidden away.
    Last edited by Roger55; 12-20-2013 at 03:32 AM.

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Monsters Inc which came after the Tower of Terror was very unique. Also some of the recent smaller attractions have been especially created for the Resort. Goofy's Paint n Play House and Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall were also built for TDL only. Plus TDR will soon be making some very interesting changes to to the Jungle Cruise and the Mermaid Lagoon Theatre which have not been tried else where. I care very little for the Crush and Stitch shows but feel the other clone attractions like Toy Story Mania, Mickey's Philharmagic and Star Tours: The Adventure Continues have been solid additions to the line up.

With every performance being different and unique it stands a good chance of lasting several years without becoming dated. And with the technology involved it can become quite easy for them to add new story line elements to the attraction. The fact Japanese Guests like you have already stated will welcome this new addition makes me happy. It will give 160 people every 10-15 minutes something different to do which will result in smaller waits in lines else where around the Park. 160 Guests is not much but if the show does say 4 shows an hour and you calculate that over a 12 hour time period then the maths works it out at around 7680 Guests per day which will have a positive impact on overall ride capacity for this Park.

I certainly respect your opinion Tom. For me the reason that I dislike
    Aloha E Komo Mai! is that to me it feels like just a long winded introduction to Stitch. With a few storyline changes it could be good. The second reason I don't care much for the show is that "Get the Fever!" was a much better show.

Except Hong Kong Disneyland which had both Stitch and Crush running over the Summer in 2008. Also WDW has Milf and Crush although given its size it can be forgiven, right?

Remember it's 7680 Guests per day capacity.
    Totally agree with you.

I can understand the concern some people have with TDR's recent additions, especially at DisneySea. I grew up with EPCOT Center, and there certainly are some parallels between it and TDS.

However, I think they're just parallels, and not actual cause for concern. TDS' original attractions are still incredibly popular, and its a varied lineup (unlike the plethora of Omnimovers at early EPCOT Center). The environments aren't really something that can be messed up, even if spaces are retrofit to accommodate characters, etc.

Most importantly, all of the additions have been well done. Toy Story Mania is a great example of this. While it arguably doesn't fit American Waterfront (its design draws inspiration from Australia's Luna Park), most people identify it with Coney Island, plus it's well done. And it draws in the crowds. Given the popularity of TSM in the US, and its relative cost to build, it was a foregone conclusion that it'd be opening somewhere in TDR.

I could go on with this, but it has little to do with the Stitch addition here. Ride tech is recycled again and again, and it only seems to matter when people oppose the idea of a particular attraction. How many 3D films are at TDR? How many Omnimovers? Boat rides? Ride system (well, "attraction" system, in this case) doesn't define an attraction--it's the means to an end. If this is well done, guests afterwards (particularly kids) won't be saying, "well, this was a good attraction...eh...but didn't Turtle Talk use the same tech?" This type of conversation is exclusively the domain of fans on the internet.

I'd think that the oversaturation of Stitch in a single park is a bigger deal, but that's just me. This has already been developed for Stitch, so I get that, but would it have been that difficult to adjust the tech to utilize a different character? I'm sure Disney could come up with some cut, original alien (a la Skippy in Alien Encounter) that could be leveraged to sell a ton of merchandise...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    "Several years" is exactly what I am concerned about. Pooh's Hunny Hunt has been opened 13+ years and still packs in Guests. Tower of Terror at TDS has been open 7+ years and similarly is still very popular. Haunted Mansion has been open 30 years since TDL opened and it pulls in a huge number of Guests daily.

"Several years" expectation for Stitch Encounter just seems to be a low bar compared to what could have been done instead.

Turtle Talk at TDS shares many of the same "technology", "interactive experience" and "each show being unique" characteristics. One only has to look at the popularity of Turtle Talk to get a good idea of how popular Stitch Encounter will be several years from now, albeit Stitch is a more loved character and the location in TL is much better than where Turtle Talk is hidden away.
    I think it's fair to say that not all attractions are created with the same expectations. Some are expected to stand the test of time (Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain) and some are built with inherently limited shelf life (Star Tours, this). If all that's built is attractions expected to last indefinitely, fans would complain that things never change.

To me, a $20 million investment for an attraction that leans on technology that can last 'several years', especially one that introduces infrastructure for future iterations (that should thus cost less) is not too bad.

Just for comparison I looked up the cost for some recent additions based on OLC's press releases.

TDL - Cinderella Castle walkthrough... $20M
    TDS - Toy Story Mania... $110M
    TDS - Turtle Talk... $13M
    TDL - Mickey’s PhilharMagic... $60M
    TDL - Monsters Inc.- Ride and go Seek... $88M
    TDL - Star Tours : The Adventure Continues... $70M

So it's obvious you get what you pay for. Looking at this list should give you a relatively good idea what to expect with Stitch Encounter.

• Shubisha

Just for the sake of clarification... The whole " no other resort has had turtle talk with crush and stitch's thing" at the same time.... Didn't Disneyland have the interactive Stitch Meet'n'Greet still open when Turtle Talk with Crush opened in DCA? :P Did I miss sarcasm in the comment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast