Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident of the Caldera

OLC Buys More Land

Reported by Lance Hart on screamscape:

General Resort News - (12/27/13) The Oriental Land Company has released documents showing that they have acquired new land, “totaling approximately 23,382 square meters along with ancillary facilities located in the Urayasu-shi, Chiba Prefecture” from the Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, LTD. The land itself is described as being “within the Tokyo Disney Resort” and offers a valuable and sizable new space to be used for future use. The site itself is listed as the former site of the “Tokyo Bay NK Hall”. While the agreement has been finalized, it appears that the property itself will not change hands until April 2016.

The Tokyo Bay NK Hall was a sporting and concert arena once on the Tokyo Disney Resort property site from 1988 to 2005. The site sits along the waterside of the resort property, nestled in between several resort hotels and the Bayside monorail station.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: OLC Buys More Land

I had seen that tweeted, I had just assumed those hotels leased the land from OLC.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Not leased from OLC. The Tokyo NK Hall went bankrupt years ago and has been empty for at least a decade. A new hotel could be built there, and would pay OLC a fee of some type. But that doesn't explain why OLC bought the land "for future expansion." I wonder if OLC is considering a fourth Disney hotel on that location. I can't see how it could be used for park expansion.

• Just another Disney fan..

I agree the thing that makes sense to do with that location is build another Disney hotel.

Another guess would be maybe a water park or other Disney themed activity park. I don't think a water park per se would be a good choice, but maybe some other type of interactive Disney themed park where Guests could visit (for an additional charge of course) and have a Disney experience. Maybe a better executed form of Disney Quest?

At least with it's location close to the parks and the resort hotels, it would draw from hotel Guests and park visitors and continue the Disney trend toward making their resorts a multi-day destination.

• Under that tree again!

Isn't that the building that is wedged between two hotels?

Did OLC sell all of those lots to those hotels?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Isn't that the building that is wedged between two hotels?

Did OLC sell all of those lots to those hotels?
    Funny, my husband and I were just talking about this! We were at Bayside station, remarking that it seemed like such a waste of space for that performance hall that is located just between the Hilton and Hotel Okura to just sit there empty (if, in fact, this is the plot of land that the news release is talking about.) This last trip was a bittersweet one for us; as my husband's assignment comes to an end and we'll be leaving Korea in the summer, this was probably our last trip to TDR for some time. I made him promise that we would at least come back for the 40th Anniversary. Yes, I'm planning a trip 10 years from now! Which reminds me, I need to finish up my mini trip report.

Oh wait, looking on the map -- maybe they will turn it into a parking lot/deck and then they can bring the Fantasyland expansion to TDL since they can then build out into the existing parking lot? Maybe??

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Oh wait, looking on the map -- maybe they will turn it into a parking lot/deck and then they can bring the Fantasyland expansion to TDL since they can then build out into the existing parking lot? Maybe??
    I wouldn't count on that. Fantasyland is to the back of TDL, and it seems ToonTown was to the side against the parking lot. I suppose if they really wanted they could replace Toontown, but Roger Rabbit is popular to replace. Also Little Mermaid would probably go into TDS if Tokyo wants it.

Squeezing in a water park would be ok, but one with the Disney standards set in Orlando wouldn't fit. Perhaps another hotel.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I wouldn't count on that. Fantasyland is to the back of TDL, and it seems ToonTown was to the side against the parking lot. I suppose if they really wanted they could replace Toontown, but Roger Rabbit is popular to replace. Also Little Mermaid would probably go into TDS if Tokyo wants it.

Squeezing in a water park would be ok, but one with the Disney standards set in Orlando wouldn't fit. Perhaps another hotel.
    It was lost on both hubby and I why the popularity of Roger Rabbit. But, I think you're right about Ariel ride would better suited in DisneySea. All just speculation and wishful thinking on my part anyway; wondering what they may dream up over the next few years. Couldn't help but notice thought that, even on the super busy day of Christmas, it didn't appear that the parking lot was full to capacity. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

If OLC comes up with a major expansion idea, Roger Rabbit will not stand in their way. It might only be a temporary closure since they could include RR in future plans if warranted.

Ariel is already doing badly at DL. Even on a busy day, it's pretty deserted. Can't compare to Sindbad.

• You have much to learn...

I mentioned the purchase to my friend & he had a pretty good idea that would be a great way to turn it into a port for the Disney Cruise ships. It sounds like a good idea, but I don't think the bay is deep enough for a Cruise ship.

I was there for the first time in April this past year and had really never seen the bay during low tide- I was surprised to see small fishing boats and people walking in the middle of the bay. I don't know if it's just the time of the year, but I usually visit the resort in November and never really saw this before.

So I doubt that my friends idea can ever really happen. I can see them possibly turning it into an arena for shows again. I'm always hoping for future expansions, but being there many times myself- they really just don's have the space to do a really big expansion.

I still really don't understand the Little Mermaid attraction in DCA, there's hardly ever a wait, but in WDW it does pretty well. I don't see them bringing it to TDR since they already have Mermaid Lagoon, which is getting a new show- they already have a whole themed area under the sea- Unless they did something similar to the original Living Seas in Epcot where you boarded the vehicles and it took you into the attraction, where the current Nemo is, but again- there isn't too much room to put in an omnimover ride system in the entry area to Tritons Kingdom, but one can only hope.
    Last edited by jedimaster7313; 01-02-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Ariel's Adventure is not coming to Tokyo. Not happening.

That ride is a people eater, which is why there's rarely a line at DCA. It cycles through an enormous about of people per hour. Ditto for the Haunted Mansion--the only reason there's ever a line is because you have to go through the Stretching Rooms in small groups. If there were no Stretching Rooms, the Haunted Mansion would never have a line, either--would you then consider it a failure?

The same ride has a long line at Walt Disney World because of two reasons: 1) FastPass, which at least doubles the length of the Standby line; 2) The Magic Kingdom has far fewer attractions than either Disneyland or California Adventure.

Sinbad has a constant stream of people riding it at DisneySEA. In fact, I believe that--like Pirates of the Caribbean and Small World--it has the highest per-hour capacity of any ride in its park. The fact that there's no line doesn't mean no one is going on it. There are probably more people riding it, some 3,500 per hour, than just about any other ride at the resort.

On a busy 2013 summer day at DCA, Ariel was deserted because nobody was approaching the ride. Mid-morning. We were totally alone.

It's so odd that the exact same ride has a two-hour wait at Walt Disney World!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    On a busy 2013 summer day at DCA, Ariel was deserted because nobody was approaching the ride. Mid-morning. We were totally alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    It's so odd that the exact same ride has a two-hour wait at Walt Disney World!
    It's not so odd. Lines for similar attractions can vary greatly because DLR has many more rides per park. So with close to the same crowd in the parks with the same ride, they spread out better in DLR.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast