WHAT s going on in Sinbad?

From the videos I've seen, the ride looks fun, but can someone please explain the storyline? I don't really understand a bit of it.

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: WHAT s going on in Sinbad?

Sindbad and his pal Chandu (the tiger cub) set off on an adventure.

When he first sets off on his voyage, he is sent off on his way by mermaids.

Along the way they encounter several different people in need of help. Off the top of my head I can think of the big bird who's babies are being stolen, the angry monkeys who can be calmed by the magical instruments, and the genie who has been imprisoned.

After Sindbad and Chandu help them, each one gives Sindbad a gift. The bird gives a magical feather (which Sindbad uses to free the genie from his cell), the genie gives Sindbad treasure, the monkeys give them bananas.

Sindbad then sails back with the help of a whale. He is welcomed back a hero and you can see all his gifts being unloaded.

There is a hidden Aladdin and Jasmine on a map near the end of the attraction.

I typed this up from memory so I might have missed something. I'm sure others here can fill in anything I've missed.

• World Traveler

This would be a great idea for a Disney animated movie.

Alright, thanks everybody.

Yup, In a nutshell he leaves home to go on a worldwide voyage and has seven adventures with friends who give him gifts along the way for helping them. There is also a group of "baddies" who are running amuck in several scenes.

The original version actually had Sindbad as the aggressor/leader of the baddies and he was attacking everyone instead to steal their stuff. It was strangely un-Disney.

• Minion

Here's a great requiem video of the original, classic version (which followed the actual voyages from 1,001 Nights): Tokyo DisneySea - Sindbad's Seven Voyages (Original Version) - YouTube

The close-ups in the video shows how stunning the AA technology on display in Sinbad is. MAPO/WDI had proprietary compliance technology that was miles ahead of the competition - should never have sold it off to Garner Holt.

So the original ride related the actual Scheherazade legend. The tales of Sinbad the Sailor from 1,001 Nights are as follows:
    First Voyage: Sleeping Whale Island
    Second Voyage: Roc Island (eggs)
    Third Voyage: Battle the Giant
    Fourth Voyage: Island of Madness
    Fifth Voyage: Man-eating Apes
    Sixth Voyage: City of Ceylon
    Seventh Voyage: The Bird-people

Some of these were left out or re-arranged, but the original attraction generally brought to life, in a living puppet theatre milieu, a tale with centuries of history. The ride was mysterious, with elements of danger and fright, and, educational at the same time. IMO, a brilliant attraction.

The Mosaic tapestries helped explain the legend in the queue (in English and Japanese):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-_MgStTtkA

Then, to my chagrin, came the tragic re-invention, with the cute tiger, softening the scarier elements and an endless refrain of the Menken song. Was done to try to appeal to Disney/kawaii-loving Japanese, but, surprisingly, the most child-frightening sequence (angry ape-men) was left pretty close to the original.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 02-07-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Then, to my chagrin, came the tragic re-invention, with the cute tiger, softening the scarier elements and an endless refrain of the Menken song. Was done to try to appeal to Disney/kawaii-loving Japanese, but, surprisingly, the most child-frightening sequence (angry ape-men) was left pretty close to the original.
    Perhaps it depends on what your first experience was with the ride. I much prefer the current version and only recently discovered what the original was like.

One thing is for sure, the tone and the feel between the original and new version are absolutely opposites. It'd be like if you discovered Walt has originally programmed Small World to be about war between nations. Later to slap on a repetitive theme song and change it to be about a charming cruise.

I can see the argument that they really Disney-fied the thing, but I certainly much prefer it now.

• Resident of the Caldera

I have seen both versions multiple times. I much prefer the second, though I can understand why you could have the opposite point of view because it dilutes everything the first one did so well. But frankly I like the song a lot and it greatly helps the attraction.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Under that tree again!

I wasn't aware it had been changed. I've only been when TDS was pretty new.

I enjoyed Sinbad because it was dark and foreboding.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Resident of the Caldera

The dark and foreboding bits are all gone now. The crazy monkeys now hold bananas instead of weapons and rocks.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

But... but... Chandu is so CUTE!