• TDR Fan

Watching Frozen in Japan

Hello,

In a strange coincidence, I will be in Japan when they are premiering the movie Frozen. I have never been to a movie theater in Japan so it will be an interesting experience. The problem I am having is the ticketing system in Japan. As my Japanese reading comprehension isn't the best, I don't have a clear understanding of the ticketing system from Disney Japan's website.

http://www.disney.co.jp/movies/anayu...ket/index.html

There are movie theaters that are marked with movie ticket card and others marked with national ticket (or something close to it as that is what Google translate gave me). I wanted to visit the TOHO Cinemas Roppongi Hills movie theater but it's a movie ticket card. Based on the website, it looks like a movie ticket card is how I can reserve seating for a movie and national ticket is one I can just buy at the theater itself. Does that mean I can't buy a regular ticket if I just go to Roppongi on the day of the premier, March 14? I can't get a movie ticket card as I need to register using a Japanese email (docomo, vodaphone, etc)

It just so happens the 14th the of every month is also "Toho Cinema Day" where tickets are 1000 yen vs the standard 1800 yen. So I'm thinking I should be able to get a ticket, even if it is premier day as it's during a workday, assuming I can get a regular ticket.

The movie comes out in 3D and 2D. Is it worth it to watch in 3D?

Did anyone else have a experience like this and share with me how they went through it? Thank you.

Re: Watching Frozen in Japan

I never used those systems, but I tried to understand them. The information you find on the Disney Website is for buying a voucher in advance. They are 300-500 yen cheaper than if you buy the tickets in the week the movie is released or later. There are two options as mentioned on the website:

-Movie Ticket (https://www.movieticket.jp): This is an electrical version of a voucher, which will be linked to a telephone number you have to provide and remember. The system itself will not let you reserve your seat now, but that needs to be done with one of the online reservations pages of the movie chains that support this system (eg Toho Cinema). I checked the website and in the entrance mask you need to provide a valid PC mail-address OR a valid mobile address. More crucial is a unique phone number you have to provide, that gets linked to the ticket.

-National Ticket: This is just a paper voucher that you need to exchange in any cinema in Japan.

As you pay now but exchange later you can not use any special discount that individual cinemas provide, like the Toho Cinema day.

Of course you can show up at the cinema on the day of the movie and buy your ticket, but being it a premier day and its spring holiday time in Japan, buying it in advance may be better (I don't know how crowded it will be though, this is just my assumption).

I think in your case it may be easier to reserve directly at the toho cinema site to reduce the necessary steps. Most cinemas like Toho usually open the slot for reservations 3 days before the actual day. But it may be wise to check the website earlier.

When I check the Toho-Cinema website, currently under Frozen the Roppongi Hills cinema isn't listed, but that may change. Personally I don't like the Toho cinemas that much, and also the one in Roppongi is not that good. My first preference is usually Wald 9 (http://wald9.com) or Picadilly (新宿ピカデリー) in Shinjuku. But that may be my personal preference. All cinemas should be up to date in video and audio equipment.

If you need any help in going through an online system, let me know. You shouldn't any japanese phone mail for these. Some sites require a telefon-number which is connected to a pin when you get the ticket (eg Toho), but I think even a hotel number should work there.

• TDR Fan

Thanks for the reply and offer. I was looking at the Wald 9 as well as an option as I know the area pretty well. I will check Wald 9's website to see when I can get a reservation towards the end of this month (hopefully it won't be going on sale like next week when I'm not looking! Maybe I will check once next week to be safe). Ya, I heard reservations are best to make so I'm hoping I can get a good seat when the time comes.

Do I have to have a Japanese company email address, ie docomo or vodaphone? I was looking at it and thought I might not be able to get from movieticket.jp because I didn't have a Japanese email address.

I checked my Toho Cinema and Wald 9 account and both don't require a Japanese email-address. For Wald 9 you don't even need a credit card. You can reserve online, but then need to get the ticket like one hour before in the cinema and pay there. But you need a Japanese Phone Number that you have to use for identification when you print out the ticket at the cinema. But it can be a hotel number or so.

I doubt there are any reservations possible before a week of the premier.

• TDR Fan

Thank you. I registered on KINEZO to buy a ticket at Wald 9 when it becomes available. Though it looks like I wasn't in time to get the Anna and Elsa keychain. O well, maybe I'll see it in a used shop in the future. I assume the part for entering the phone number comes when I actually reserve the ticket as I didn't get asked for a phone number during registration.

Your are right, for Kinezo no phone number is necessary. You just need the reservation number and your account password for getting the ticket.

It also says, that Reservation by credit card starts 3 days in advance, and by cash, 2 days in advance. So credit card may be the better option.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by ebiten View Post
    The movie comes out in 3D and 2D. Is it worth it to watch in 3D?
    3-D is worth it just to be able to see the short "Get a Horse" that plays before the movie. It is receiving accolades for it's breakthrough melding of the old with 3-D technology. It also features Walt Disney's voice as Mickey.

Frozen itself is awesome in 3-D. Certainly worth seeing at least once in 3-D.

• TDR Fan

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Your are right, for Kinezo no phone number is necessary. You just need the reservation number and your account password for getting the ticket.

It also says, that Reservation by credit card starts 3 days in advance, and by cash, 2 days in advance. So credit card may be the better option.
    Thank you. I will actually be in TDR on the 11th and will have internet access on my phone so either wake up early to just buy my ticket then leave for TDR or do it on my phone if I'm running late. Hopefully I get a good seat when I do. Are the better seats in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    3-D is worth it just to be able to see the short "Get a Horse" that plays before the movie. It is receiving accolades for it's breakthrough melding of the old with 3-D technology. It also features Walt Disney's voice as Mickey.

Frozen itself is awesome in 3-D. Certainly worth seeing at least once in 3-D.
    Hmm, interesting. Are 3-D glasses in Japan any different from those in the US? I wear glasses and usually switch to contacts to watch movies in 3-D.

Middle, Middle are usually good seats in the larger cinemas. The ticket order over web browser of the iphone shouldn't be a problem!

• TDR Fan

Thanks. I have an Nexus 5 but I don't see it as being a problem either. Looking forward to seeing it!

• TDR Fan

Here's a quick run down of how I was able to watch Frozen in Japan.

Checked Kinezo's website since the 11th but tickets for the 14th didn't appear until the 12th. There was different show times and I chose the matinee showtime which was 1200 yen vs the normal 1800 yen. Bought my ticket online on the morning of the 12th with a credit card and was able to reserve a seat in the middle section. Got my reservation number in my email.

On the 14th I go to Wald 9 about 30 minutes before the showtime. On the first floor is where I printed out my ticket from a machine where the choices were either you had a reservation or you were purchasing a ticket, the display was in Japanese and English. Clicked on reservation and went to my email where I clicked on the link in my email to pop up my reservation information with a QR code and scanned the QR code in a area to the top right of the main screen where my information popped up which I confirmed and a ticket popped out.

Rode the elevator up to the 9th floor to get a tofu soft serve, draft beer, and deep fried vegetables. It's pretty interesting the way the beer and fried vegetables are served in a container to prevent spillage.

The took the escalators in the movie theater up to the 13th floor. The previous show just ended so I needed to wait while they cleaned up a bit. Ate my soft serve while I waited as it was melting. I'm not sure why I was expecting much flavor from tofu soft serve but it was smooth to eat at least. The cone cup stayed nice and crispy even after soft serve melted.

Went to my reserved seating and watched the movie. The theater was pretty much a full house.

I was expecting it to be dubbed in Japanese but it was in English with Japanese subtitles. I'm pretty sure it was dubbed in Japanese and shown in theaters but for some reason mine was subbed. I didn't realize it was subbed until the movie started. Later I looked through Wald 9's website to find out it subbed along with other showings and I didn't notice it on my printed ticket either. I just assumed it was dubbed based on the previews. I didn't see it mentioned being subbed either when I got the ticket on Kinezo's website unless I just missed it. The movie didn't seem to get much reaction except for a few parts showing Olaf's comedic scenes, not sure if it's because the subs didn't translate as well throughout the movie based on what I could read. Maybe if it was dubbed there would have been more reaction. Sometimes it was so quiet during certain scenes I bet I could hear a pin drop.

Olaf's song was pretty interesting to hear dubbed when I saw it on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgtCP-8thw0

I enjoyed the fried vegetables which went excellent with the beer.

When the movie ended mostly everyone stayed back to watch the "extra ending" scene with Disney movie's. Either that or since the walking aisles between the seats were so packed with everyone's stuff no one wanted to get up. I noticed about 8 people left while the end credit was showing and they were in the first row.

There were a couple Frozen displays in the theater. First is this "crystal tree."

There was also a interactive display where you could "make snow" on a upper level you can take the stairs up to.

The IdolM@ster movie started showing before and they had these cardboard cutouts with autographs I thought was interesting.

There was some Frozen merchandise on sale at the little store in the theater along with other movie merchandise showing at the time.

Overall a great and easy experience with help from the posters in this thread. Thank you. I hope this thread can be used for other people who also want to watch a movie in Japan while on their trip.
    Last edited by ebiten; 03-22-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Good to hear that everything went well! I realized on my reservation for today that the QR-Code is also available - cool!
    Most foreign movies usually can be watched in English with Japanese Subs. For some reasons I don't know Wald9 only has the English versions in 3D and 2D, which is kind of strange considering it's a Disney Movie.
    It's not unusual that most Japanese people stay until the end of the credits before they leave the theater.