Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Questions for April 2014

Salt water taffy or Reese's peanut butter cups would be good choices. Just don't be offended if they don't open it or try it in front of you. That would be considered bad manners.

If you're looking to try a few of the special food items around the resort, there are a couple that you might want to work into your plans. The giant gyoza bun, the Donald Duck life preserver bun, and pretty much anything from Lost River Delta get insane lines later in the day. The pork ribs weren't as popular from what I saw (still delicious though).

You could probably get multiple rides on Journey if you get there right after grabbing a Fastpass from Toy Story or ToT. That area doesn't get very busy in the morning anymore as crowds seem to be spread between Toy Story and ToT with Raging Spirits still being a big draw as well. The gyoza bun stand is also in that area.

As for Indy, I had never been on the Japanese version before last week, but it seems to have some of the updated effects added to the Anaheim version in Anaheim's last rehab. Not sure if Tokyo always had those or if they are new as well.

Just one guy's opinion -- prioritize Journey. It's my first stop for a FP (on the way to Raging Spirits, which you can often loop through a couple of times in the morning). Your son is, well, totally right. This is the best ride. Ride it as many times as you can. And ask your son to consider whether the elevator to the loading cars is really going down.

In terms of quick meals, the prize gem for me (and my wife) is the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge on the SS Columbia. Good food, small crowds, and (let's be frank) excellent cocktails. I also dig the smoked bird parts near Indy/Spirits, though wifee is a vegetarian.

BTW, one more suggestion. Triton's Kingdom is a lot of fun after dark, when the kids are in bed. No crowds, and super genki attendants.

Oh yeah: Toy Story isn't worth it. That's three hours in Tokyo Disney you'll never get back.

• TDR Fan

If you're there at DisneySea at rope drop I would recommend going to Toy Story just to see the decorations surrounding the line queue. I found it better than WDW but that might be just a personal preference. If anything, you can hear the Toy Story characters speak in Japanese during the game. The wait shouldn't be long if you can run fast, maybe 30 minutes to 40 minutes if you can't depending on the crowds. If the line is already backed up outside of the ride area then maybe you or your son, assuming he is alright with it, can go get ToT fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Salt water taffy or Reese's peanut butter cups would be good choices. Just don't be offended if they don't open it or try it in front of you. That would be considered bad manners.
    Thank you for your reply.

I would not have thought of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (my fave). Are they hard to get in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by jxxwxx1 View Post
    Just one guy's opinion -- prioritize Journey. It's my first stop for a FP (on the way to Raging Spirits, which you can often loop through a couple of times in the morning). Your son is, well, totally right. This is the best ride. Ride it as many times as you can. And ask your son to consider whether the elevator to the loading cars is really going down.

In terms of quick meals, the prize gem for me (and my wife) is the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge on the SS Columbia. Good food, small crowds, and (let's be frank) excellent cocktails. I also dig the smoked bird parts near Indy/Spirits, though wifee is a vegetarian.

BTW, one more suggestion. Triton's Kingdom is a lot of fun after dark, when the kids are in bed. No crowds, and super genki attendants.

Oh yeah: Toy Story isn't worth it. That's three hours in Tokyo Disney you'll never get back.

Journey and TOT are the two top rides for us.

The Boy will be happy that other people like his ride. We got to it late in the day and did a 60+ min wait. Since he requested it for this trip, we are going to make Journey a priority. ToT is totally for the pre-show.

I thought Teddy was for an older crowd? Then again, the Boy might be tired and will happily play on one of our electronic devices. ("smoked bird parts" made me giggle)

Kids go to bed in Disney? The Boy loved Triton's Kingdom because he could go on the rides by himself. I was a nice mom and waited on line with him until he decided it was okay for mom to wait on the side. I grabbed one of the salted ice creams and relaxed on a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by ebiten View Post
    If you're there at DisneySea at rope drop I would recommend going to Toy Story just to see the decorations surrounding the line queue. I found it better than WDW but that might be just a personal preference. If anything, you can hear the Toy Story characters speak in Japanese during the game. The wait shouldn't be long if you can run fast, maybe 30 minutes to 40 minutes if you can't depending on the crowds. If the line is already backed up outside of the ride area then maybe you or your son, assuming he is alright with it, can go get ToT fastpasses.

I've done Toy Story twice in WDW. The first time was with my MIL in a wheel chair and the second time was with FP+. I've never done the full queue. I know, I've missed the best part of the line.

I would like to experience the ride in Japanese. The wait time scare me. We may have to make a decision when we get to the park and see the level of the crowd.

The problem with TSM in Tokyo is that they let people run, so if you are not a sprinter, you will devote quite a bit of time to standby or waiting just get an FP. Almost everyone lining up in the morning is running to TSM. Last time I was there, we were alone going to Journey which was the super-headliner before TSM opened. The idea that you can just waltz right in first thing was too enticing for us to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    The problem with TSM in Tokyo is that they let people run, so if you are not a sprinter, you will devote quite a bit of time to standby or waiting just get an FP. Almost everyone lining up in the morning is running to TSM. Last time I was there, we were alone going to Journey which was the super-headliner before TSM opened. The idea that you can just waltz right in first thing was too enticing for us to pass up.
    That at was the same experience I had on my last visit. The longest lines in the morning were:
    1) TSM
    2) ToT
    3) Raging Spirits
    4) Indy
    5) Journey

First 3 were about 2 hours each, Indy was around 90-100, and Journey was a walk-on the first day (weekday) and 35 minutes the second (packed weekend). I think Journey gets shorter waits in part because there isn't anything else in the area besides 20k Under the Sea which isn't very popular. On the other hand the other big attractions pair up (TSM and ToT, RS and Indy) and you have people getting FP for one and doing standby for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBrunette View Post

I would not have thought of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (my fave). Are they hard to get in Japan?
    They are almost impossible to find. Peanut butter in general is hard to find; what they sold in stores there would not be recognizable as peanut butter to foreigners. Yet most younger Japanese have tried or at least heard of Reese's. I think its a popular item for Japanese people to take back home and share with friends when they return from trips to the US.

• Resident of the Caldera

I ate at the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge on the SS Columbia once: it cost $14 for a tiny sandwich. One thin slice of cold roast beef on white break with a leaf of lettuce. Never been back. Should I try it again?
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12