Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Questions for April 2014

Our April 2014 trip is getting closer! I have lots of questions so I turn to this group for answers. :-)

How do I get the "story papers" for DisneySea?

What are your best suggestions for small or quick meals in DisneySea?

Where is the best place/way to get tickets? In 2011, we had to go to the Disney Store and purchase our tickets for specific parks and specific days. Is this still true? We have not chosen specific days for our park visits, yet.

Is there a character appearance schedule?

My son's favorite ride is JTTCOTE. Should that be our first stop for ride and FastPass? We also want to do the ToT. Second stop?

Our hotel in Tokyo has been helping us a lot. I would like to bring little thank you gifts for the people who have helped us. What would be appropriate gifts? Are food gifts best? Can I ask the staff members directly about their preference of a gift or is that considered rude?

Whew! I think that is enough for one message. Thanks in advance.

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Questions for April 2014

"Attraction Papers" (Not "story papers"): go to Guest Relations and request one or more sets. They come in Japanese and English. Some cast members are stingy, others are generous.

Best quick meal in DisneySea is the Nautilus Galley, which is on the LOWER level--a place few people seem to know about. If you like gyoza and turkey legs and beer, this is heaven (and cheap). Other good quick meals are Zambini Brothers (pizza and pasta), and if you like Middle Eastern Food, the Casbah Food Court looks quick. You'll find everything here including menus:

Restaurants | Tokyo DisneySea

If your hotel doesn't sell tickets, you can get to the gate one hour before opening. While your family waits online at one of the turnstiles, you can buy tickets--the ticket booths open one hour before the park.

DisneySea used to be a bit of dilemma because you had to go either right or left. Now EVERYONE runs to the left for Toy Story Midway Mania. One person in your family should go left and get FastPasses for Tower of Terror, meet you at Journey to the Center of the Earth, which you ride standby. There will be no line at that time.

Remember that Indiana Jones has a Single Rider line--use it and conserve your FastPass for something else.

Bringing food into Japan can be a problem. Tipping and giving of gifts to staff is a breach of etiquette. Just be polite and extremely grateful for the wonderful job they do and that is enough.

I'm in Chevy Chase. If you ever want to spend more time talking about this, happy to do it in person rather than writing (which takes too long).
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Fukai, Thank you for answering so quickly.

The Nautilus Galley sounds like the right choice for us. A place to sit and small bites to eat.

I only know a few polite phrases in Japanese so, we rely heavily on the concierge team at the hotel. They were wonderful in 2011 with our weird requests. I know it is their job to help, I wanted to let them know of our appreciation.

I knew that tipping was inappropriate, I did not know gifts were included. I thought gift-giving was part of the culture. Maybe it is just a business thing? My husband brought hot sauces to his meeting hosts a few years ago.

I forgot about Toy Story! I am guessing that the line gets long in the morning and stays long all day.

Yes, I would love to meet up with you and have a live chat! I'm in Gaithersburg. We can meet in the middle. :-)

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Where is the best place/way to get tickets? In 2011, we had to go to the Disney Store and purchase our tickets for specific parks and specific days. Is this still true? We have not chosen specific days for our park visits, yet.
    You can also now buy e tickets online in English and print them out in advance. I haven't tried it myself but see no restrictions in place like some websites which will only take a Japan issued credit card. See website for details. The Tokyo Disney Resort Ticket Center on the lower floor of Ikspiari is also another place besides the Disney Stores and online where you can buy pre dated tickets.

• Resident of the Caldera

The line for Toy Story Midway Mania was FOUR HOURS today, according to Deep Disney.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Cape Cod Cook-off (aka The Duffy Restaurant) is another place to grab a quick meal provided you don't want to see the Duffy show. There is a non-show side that doesn't get busy as the long line for the show side seems to scare people off. Most of the people dining on that side will be Japanese women ordering Duffy desserts.

I may be wrong, but I believe Disney Store tickets must be purchased a few days before the first day of your visit. Also not all stores have a ticket counter. You can also purchase tickets from the automated machines located in convenience stores (Lawson's, 7 Eleven, and Family Mart for sure; not sure about the others) and I think JR stations with a tourism office also sell tickets. Unlike Disney Store tickets, these are just a voucher that must be redeemed for an actual ticket. The downside is you'll still have to stand in line for the actual ticket (I think you can also redeem the voucher at select Disney Stores), but the upside is you'll have a fixed date ticket in case it's so busy they stop selling same day tickets and also they occasionally run promotions for discount tickets.

Small gifts are appropriate in Japan. Gift giving is almost an art form in Japan so there is a fine line between what is appropriate and what is not, but outside of money most small gifts will be ok. We stayed at a family owned guesthouse for part of our trip and my friend gave the owner some chocolate as a token of appreciation for his help and the guy posted a picture of his kid eating it on their website so he obviously wasn't offended.
    Last edited by clippers6; 02-24-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Whenever you have your specific date, then buy your fixed date ticket in order to avoid disaapointment. If you purchase at convenience stores, you have to exchance it for ticket at park entrance.

Based on my experience, I highly recommend you to run to ToT first for fastpass and standby, after that is to JTTCOTE. This is because the queue of ToT is 0 minute waitting for sure. Guest will still at Toy Story when you are in Tower, and they will move to Tower after rushing to Toy Story. At the time you head to Journey, they are still in Tower so the line for Journey will be around 0-15 minutes. It only takes you 30 minutes for both e tickets, after that you still have a full day so plan your trip by your own. By enjoying both Tower and Journey on the morning, you can catch first show of Big Band Beat and Mystic Rythyms

I haven't seen the question answered directly, so I want to ask -- are you wanting to ride Toy Story Mania? That would be your first stop. I would say it is only doable if you plan on being at rope drop...unless you really don't mind waiting a couple of hours, because after the first hour, that will be your only alternative. We were there in December and in line to get in (not in line for tickets!) one hour before park opening. Once inside the park, we handed off all of our tickets to DH and he took off for Toy Story FPs while I went at a pretty good pace to the Standby line. So, within the first 10-15 minutes of park opening, we had already secured our places in line; I stood in mine, kind of watching him weave in and out of the FP queue and also watching the FP times roll over as the hundreds of people got their FPs. By 9:45, they were gone. Toy Story is one of those rare creatures, too, where the strategy to "hey, we'll ride it right before park closing when the line has died down" doesn't work because, with a 1.5-2hour standby wait time, they stop allowing people to join the standby line at least that much time before park closing. So, anyway, we've had success and what we've done before is as soon as our window for the next FP is open, turn right around and get Tower of Terror FPs since you are right there. Also, note the Standby for it and go ahead and ride it if it is less than an hour because it's going to be at least that if not twice that for the rest of the day. Then when the window is open again for your next FP, then go grab JTTCOTE FPs. Now, if your son would rather ride that twice as opposed to ToT twice, you could leave from Toy Story, completely bypass ToT, get your JTTCOTE FPs, ride JTTCOTE, and then go back and get ToT, but that leaves you kind of going back and forth. And I'm curious -- has anybody ever timed FP wait times? I mean, from when you go in the FP line and you only get to jump so far ahead before you are joined up with the Standby line. To me, it seems like with the ToT FP line, you still wind up waiting a pretty good amount of time. Or is it just me? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    You can also purchase tickets from the automated machines located in convenience stores (Lawson's, 7 Eleven, and Family Mart for sure; not sure about the others)
    Small gifts are appropriate in Japan. Gift giving is almost an art form in Japan so there is a fine line between what is appropriate and what is not, but outside of money most small gifts will be ok.
    Thank you for replying. Wow! Ticket buying has changed since 2011. I didn't know so many places sold Disney tickets.

We are coming from Maryland. I was wondering if salt water taffy or Old Bay Seasoning would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    The Tokyo Disney Resort Ticket Center on the lower floor of Ikspiari is also another place besides the Disney Stores and online where you can buy pre dated tickets.
    Thank you for replying. We are staying in Rappongi so, Ikspiari is a bit far. I think your suggestion of the online purchase might be our best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Duyanh92 View Post
    If you purchase at convenience stores, you have to exchance it for ticket at park entrance.

It only takes you 30 minutes for both e tickets, after that you still have a full day so plan your trip by your own. By enjoying both Tower and Journey on the morning, you can catch first show of Big Band Beat and Mystic Rythyms
    Thank you for replying. Skipping Toy Story will add a lot of time to the day. We didn't see Big Band Beat on our last visit.

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    I haven't seen the question answered directly, so I want to ask -- are you wanting to ride Toy Story Mania?

And I'm curious -- has anybody ever timed FP wait times? I mean, from when you go in the FP line and you only get to jump so far ahead before you are joined up with the Standby line. To me, it seems like with the ToT FP line, you still wind up waiting a pretty good amount of time. Or is it just me? Lol.
    Thank you for replying. Any more good advice from your recent trip? :-)

We did TSMM in WDW so, we've done it. It would be nice to do again and it would be nice to see the TDS version. If it is going to take up a huge chunk of time and effort, I am tempted to skip it. I will admit, the Magic Bands at WDW made it easy to get the FPs for TSMM, ToT and RnRC without having to run at rope drop.

My son loved JTTCOTE and would love to do it twice. He'll Husband is not a fan of thrill rides and is only going to do ToT for the pre-show. Having done it in 2011, I think the pre-show is worth doing twice. :-)

You've got me curious about the FP wait times, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    And I'm curious -- has anybody ever timed FP wait times? I mean, from when you go in the FP line and you only get to jump so far ahead before you are joined up with the Standby line. To me, it seems like with the ToT FP line, you still wind up waiting a pretty good amount of time. Or is it just me? Lol.
    for TOT, if I use FP, it still takes like 20-30 minutes. We have 2 pre-shows, and after that is a long queue... with lots of sections. And castmember will instruct us very carefully to it may take a lot.

Hey just strange information for all you guys. I've been to Indiana Jones at TDS many times, and it closed for refurbishment and reopened last Valentine (Feb 14). I feel like there are new special effects, but I'm not sure... I just feel like they add some new effects. After riding, I asked my friend who went with me, and he also said he felt different after the reopen. If anyone has chance to go, please check it for me. I hope it is not my imagination... ^_^

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
    Instagram
    Flickr
    Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBrunette View Post
    Thank you for replying. Wow! Ticket buying has changed since 2011. I didn't know so many places sold Disney tickets.

We are coming from Maryland. I was wondering if salt water taffy or Old Bay Seasoning would be appropriate.
    Just judging by the stores that feature snacks/packaged sweets as a souvenir that they buy when visiting the parks, I would think the salt water taffy -- something very Americana -- would be a real treat for them. Especially with all the flavors.

One of the things I did last time was to try some of the different snacks or small meals you mentioned that are throughout the park either at the small little stands or those you can get counter service places. Gah, my computer at work -- oops, did I just admit to that, lol -- won't let me get on the Tokyo Disney website so I can remember or look up some of the names of the places, but here and there are just different unique snacks, some of which are quite yummy. I got a black pepper rib at the little snack counter located across or near the entry to Fortress Explorations that I remember not wanting to share with my husband. I'll have to go back and look at my map when I get home. But, the point is, I just set about to "let's try something new".

Refrescos is the name of the counter place and it is the black pepper pork rib. Kind of small, but a yummy snack for sure. Here is the Tokyo Disney Page (Japanese) but it shows you the place and the food better than the English page.

リフレスコス | 東京ディズニーシー | 東京ディズニーリゾート

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast