TDR beginning to enforce FP Return Time

We're at the Tokyo Disney Resort for the first time this week and loving every minute of it! Before the trip, I'd read, from multiple sources, that the cast members here would accept Fast Passes until close. However, we found that that THEY ARE (albeit in a very polite way)! When we arrived an hour after our return time to STAR TOURS, we were (politely) asked if we were delayed on another attraction. We were. (If stuffing our faces with Honey Popcorn counts.) They called someone who called someone else who explained (politely) that they'd let us in but please be mindful of the time.
    The next day, we were late (we truly thought the return time was later) at TOWER OF TERROR and were (politely) declined. We didn't fuss, as we'd already ridden it earlier.
    So, is this rule for the newer or most popular attractions?

• Loves Mickey!

Re: TDR beginning to enforce FP Return Time

This has started really recently actually, in fact I just saw it on twitter last night. The print in English hasn't changed but now in Japanese at the bottom it says they will not be taking late FP's.
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

It depends on cast members. They will allow most foreign guests but it seems like you are unlucky

I speak a little Japanese (survival, meaning I won't starve and can ask for directions to the nearest maple flavored churro cart) so perhaps they believe this gaijin understands enough to know better! Either way, we are having a great time, despite the two turnaways!

• Resident of the Caldera

This is a major policy change that does not forebode well. It's the first step toward implementation of My Magic and Fast Pass +, which I sincerely hope does NOT happen.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

A cast member told me that so many people save their FastPass until toward the end of the day that the queue is no longer a fast wait before closing.

• TDR Fan

I just came back last week and it was indeed enforced. I ran to get a Monster's Inc. FP and come back an hour after my FP return time and they said it was no good anymore to me in English. They did ask where I was at the time and I was actually in line for Star Tours but it was still a no go. Didn't risk it the rest of my trip to see if they would let me go past the time as FP's were running out and didn't want to get one for nothing.

They were so polite that I thanked them profusely for turning away a FastPass entry. These parks, particularly DisneySea, have almost ruined the stateside parks for me, in terms of cast members, theming, condition and maintenance of the attractions…etc.

I think it's pretty normal to refuse people who are AN HOUR late. They don't print the time on the passes for fun. FP is great system and it's a shame when people abuse it.

This is actually a good thing since the Tokyo parks close their standby lines early (hard close). With fewer people saving their FastPasses, that means they can close the line a little later.

Does it mean the US parks allowing guests to use 1 hour late fastpass? It is unbelieable. I have never been late 5 minutes. But I only return too early to the return time.

• Resident of the Caldera

FastPass return times were never enforced at any Disney park until a few years ago in Orlando at Walt Disney World. That was the start, and it was done for the My Magic FastPass + system. Because that system only allows you to get three FastPasses per day (and only in one park), let's call it FastPass - (minus).

Anything the CMs tell you about the reason for suddenly enforcing the return time is baloney. The only time the FastPass line gets backed up is when an inexperienced CM does not allow enough people in the FastPass line to mix in with the standby line, or when a ride goes down and people chose to stand in line hoping it will come back online.

People using their FastPasses at any time of the day never come in waves except after parades and shows. They come back evenly throughout the day. People who get FastPasses for Monster's Inc., for example, at 11 am (when they usually run out) are getting return times of 9:50 pm. Most folks who are there at 11 am are long gone by 9:50 pm. The standby line moves very quickly late at night because the wait time is calculated based on how many FastPass people SHOULD be returning. But they don't return, hence there is no back up all from FastPass returnees (a big fib from the CMs)--and the standby line is shorter than the posted wait time. (People go home, rather than staying until park closing, because it's mostly a local park like the Disney Resort in California.)

The only thing that is really peculiar about this is that the FastPass return times were never enforced at the Tokyo Disney Resort. It's a country that lives by a huge number of strict rules, and everything runs on time. So letting people be late was really an odd thing.

Anyway, it sucks that they're enforcing the return times. There's no good reason, unless something else is going on. And that's ominous.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.