Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Live from Progress City

Future Resort Expansion/Third Gate?

Hiya kids,

I was just looking at the TDL Resort on Google Earth and trying to wrap my brain around the thing, having never been there and having never seen the way it was laid out. First of all, man, it's crammed in there. It just makes me wonder what OLC could do with room to breathe like at WDW.

The layout of TDS seems so weird... I've seen hundreds of pictures from the park, looked at the 'official' maps, and yet seeing it laid out for real is bizarre. I'm just trying to picture how the park flows.

The point of all this, is that I was wondering if there had ever been any talk from OLC about future expansion, and what that would entail. Obviously, they've run out of land save for the parking lots. There at least seems to be a little room for growth in TDS, although overall it is still a smaller park than TDL.

Do they have any desire for a third gate? Would they reclaim further land or just bulldoze something on the mainland to make way for it?

I was just wondering if there had ever been any murmurings from OLC about this...

• Main Street Maniac

Re: Future Resort Expansion/Third Gate?

I heard several time there's a water park planned in the future. Rumors suggest it might be an evolution of Lava Lagoon, the water park that would have been the Euro Disney Resort third gate if things had gone according to expectations. Here are some pictures of this wonderful concept!

Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by massimo
    I heard several time there's a water park planned in the future. Rumors suggest it might be an evolution of Lava Lagoon, the water park that would have been the Euro Disney Resort third gate if things had gone according to expectations. Here are some pictures of this wonderful concept!
    That is fantastic! I had never seen those images before... Although I can't imagine a water park in DLP's climate! Where was this park supposed to go in DLP's layout, across from the Studios? Very nifty...

• Main Street Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by MiklCraw4d
    Although I can't imagine a water park in DLP's climate!
    And so thought the Imagineers working on that project. That's why the whole park would have been covered by a giant glassglobe. The final look would have been just breathtaking: think about a giant snowglobe with an erupting volcano in it and you'll get my point. Somewhere on the web I once found a picture of the scale model but couldn't find it again

The area chosen for the third park should be somewhere behind the Newport Bay Club.
    Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

• Banned User

First of all, man, it's crammed in there. It just makes me wonder what OLC could do with room to breathe like at WDW...
    Personally I have never felt the resort to be 'crammed' at all. It's easy to navigate and the parks themselves are the most spacious of them all. Personally I feel DLR in CA is the most crammed of the resorts. As for room to breath like WDW, I do not want that. WDW has become too big to navigate easly and the expansiveness of WDW has caused severe damage to it's quality as maintenance budgets can only cover so much. I do not want TDR's quality to suffer like that.
    As for TDS... the park flows quite well... you either go right or left and visit ports as you go around. All ports interconnect with one another easily. The only gripe is that TDS is spread out and if you are running from one end to another in pursuit of FPs and such tribulations...it can become quite tiresome on your feet, especially since TDS in built on many levels, and youare always going up or down hills or stairs.

IMHO.. TDR is the nicest laid out of the resort, because nothing interferes with anything else.. and the TDR Line monorail system makes it even more convenient to cover the resort in minimal amount of time.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Obviously, they've run out of land save for the parking lots. There at least seems to be a little room for growth in TDS, although overall it is still a smaller park than TDL.
    Nope they havn't. I believe they own some land (on the oppostie side of the monorail tracks) from Ikspari/TDS. They do for sure own an industrial field(ish) place a block or two down from the resort. When the bought that they started making much of that long term storage for the parks to free up some back stage space. So I don't know how much space they have, but OLC owns more space.

Is there any room to build a ship port? Are cruises profitable in Japan? If so, they could build a ship port and have the Disney Cruise line sail around. That would be a possibility...

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Personally I have never felt the resort to be 'crammed' at all. It's easy to navigate and the parks themselves are the most spacious of them all.
    That does seem to be the case... looking at TDL from above it's amazing how much open space there is in the park. I simply meant how the parks are wedged in tight amongst outside development. I'm sure that within the parks you can't tell this at all, though. I'm just used to WDW and its vast space around the outside of each park.

The only gripe is that TDS is spread out and if you are running from one end to another in pursuit of FPs and such tribulations...it can become quite tiresome on your feet, especially since TDS in built on many levels, and youare always going up or down hills or stairs.
    It sounds a lot like EPCOT in that way... the expanse, not the topography. EPCOT is very flat

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Nope they havn't. I believe they own some land (on the oppostie side of the monorail tracks) from Ikspari/TDS. They do for sure own an industrial field(ish) place a block or two down from the resort. When the bought that they started making much of that long term storage for the parks to free up some back stage space. So I don't know how much space they have, but OLC owns more space.
    Nifty... I just hope they can piece together enough land for a third park. An OLC-funded EPCOT variant would be oh so sweet...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah but the Japanese are smarter than that.

We should just resign ourselves to love the one EPCOT there is and probably always will be (unless it closes some day.)

I can't see a World Showcase in Disneyland Paris and how're they gonna staff one in Japan? Are there enough foreign guest workers into covering all the international shops/restaurants and rides? On top of all the American guest dancers/entertainers they use in the intl parks.

• Banned User

Nifty... I just hope they can piece together enough land for a third park. An OLC-funded EPCOT variant would be oh so sweet...
    I personally would not like to see another gate added to TDR. The bigger the place, the lesser the TLC they can put into the resort as a whole... reason why the overall quality at WDW (especially at the MK) has suffered tremendously...and it shows in the poor custodial, short staffing (some of the CMs they hire just because they need help and can't afford to weed out the worst candidates for jobs), and the overall maintenance lacks. I personally would hate to see TDR go down this way as well.

• Minion

I personally would not like to see another gate added to TDR. The bigger the place, the lesser the TLC they can put into the resort as a whole... reason why the overall quality at WDW (especially at the MK) has suffered tremendously...and it shows in the poor custodial, short staffing (some of the CMs they hire just because they need help and can't afford to weed out the worst candidates for jobs), and the overall maintenance lacks. I personally would hate to see TDR go down this way as well.
    I agree. I would rather they add new stuff to the exisiting gates. Remember....quality not quantity. Maybe expand TDS or add a few attractions here and there. TDS could use a new water ride...maybe a rapids ride with a drop. Something along the lines of Grizzly River Run.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Honshu Adventure anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Yeah but the Japanese are smarter than that.
    I don't quite understand that... smarter than what? Duplicating the second most successful theme park in the country? Building a park about futurism and technology *in Japan*? The Japanese love World Showcase-like parks, so there's no reason why that wouldn't be successful as well.

I don't see the perceived problem here. Not to mention I didn't say they'd want to completely duplicate EPCOT; with the proper staff and guidance at WDI they could learn from EPCOT's shortcomings. The WESTCot designs remain impressive and would be a fine template from which to start.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    I can't see a World Showcase in Disneyland Paris and how're they gonna staff one in Japan? Are there enough foreign guest workers into covering all the international shops/restaurants and rides? On top of all the American guest dancers/entertainers they use in the intl parks.
    I doubt they would have problems with staffing issues, although I'm not sure where OLC stands on pay scale and size of applicant pool. I'm sure that if they wanted CM's from overseas an equivalent of the College Program could be created. Otherwise, if the park used a WESTCot-like regional instead of country-based Showcase the staffing demands wouldn't be quite as rigid.

Aside from the fact that there are many factors at work in WDW besides just the issue of size, the situations at TDR and WDW are very, very different. WDW is the largest single-site employer in the nation and must staff four parks, three water parks, dozens of resorts, and thousands of random positions. They don't have nearly the same population base to draw from that Tokyo does, and the wages they pay are not nearly enough to maintain adequate quality staff levels in many positions.

In Tokyo these variables are different, and there's the simple issue of whether OLC would allow things to slip as much as they did in Orlando. I doubt they would. I think they would have the experience and talent to draw from to keep just as keen an eye on three closely-built parks as they do on the two there now.

Nevertheless, I think that a third gate is inevitable as long as they can make the space. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast