Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Down Under without Nemo..

Re: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sorry to bring you back to the queue line, but I really liked Paco's Pre-show movie better than Sallah's.

I like the way the "Sunlight" moves through the different holes and highlights all the perils in store painted on the walls.

I found the hidden mickey in the plaster rendering on the walls in the main queue chamber.

I hope no-one peed in the TDS water fountains that I drank out of.
    DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    Like I said before, I always thought the dark sky with stars was only in the chamber where Mara gave you visions of the future. How does this fit in with the TDS version since we're only looking for the Fountain of Youth?
    I am sorry but I am totally lost here... I have no clue what you are talking about..fountain of youth and Mara. This is not the same story they have going at TDS. Plus I don't remember that many small details of the ride, concidering I have ridden it several times. I never concern myself with how things fit with one another and this and that... I enjoy the ride without giving it that much thought, therefore.. I am not posting here anymore... I am getting a headache with all these questions. TDRFan needs to go to TDR and see for himself what the experience is like. I can't honestly answer any more questions as I am beginning to feel like a scratched record here repeating myself over and over... Sorry.

Let me just see if I'm reading it correctly. Please clarify on these:

1. So the bottom of the pit is most visible after the giant snake or did you mean the strobe lights are easily seen?
    >>
    I'm anal about small details, so I'll be more then happy to answer questions about any of Tokyo's attractions. Please forgive me if I miss a detail or two, because I haven't been there since late last year.... but I do remember the little things quite well.

To answer this question, you have to realize that they layout (the track of the ride) as well as the show scenes are EXACTLY the same as Anahiem. Just as Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom is the same (although it's much harder to tell since most of it is in the dark.)

The best times to actually see the blue pit in Tokyo is the same as in Anahiem.... as you go across the bridge, and after the snake looking 'through' the backside of the giant skull mountain thing, or along side of it on the way to the dark areas. The differences in the main show room are themes: in America we have a fake lava pit mixed with real fire effects. In Japan they have an outstanding blue tornado vortex that reaches the show building height, connecting to a 'blue fog pit' (instead of the lava pit) that appears to be a swirling electrical storm, with strobe lights (hidden, mind you) underneath the fog to simulate thunder. It's really a matter of preference, as some people really like the fire effects in Disneyland, which are cool. Personally, I like Tokyo's because I've never seen a 'swirling electrical storm pit' before, and I've seen fire effects at almost every theme park around.

2. Which snake statues are you talking about in TDS's version? I know for sure that Disneyland's has 3 sets of golden snake statues but never noticed any in the video of the TDS version.
    This is a good question. I don't remember for sure, but because I don't remember a big difference, I'd bet that it's the same. The snake was better, I remember, but they may be more or less the same now that Disneyland's was upgraded.

3. When you say electricity runs through the walls, do you mean they light up?
    I think he was talking about the major electricity effect, which in Disneyland (as well as Tokyo) happens right after you look into the eyes of Mara and swerve to the left, and 'up the temple stairs' room. In Tokyo's, of course, the difference is that instead of looking into the eyes of Mara, you look at the Crystal Skull which, itself, does a trippy LED/strobe light/laser thing before swerving to the left into the electricty/temple stairs room. The electricity/temple stairs rooms are identical in both versions, both using very expensive lighting effects to give the 'electricity in the walls' look. The anamatronic of indy holding the doors back seems a little better in Japan, and there's much more fog coming out from behind the doors he's holding back in Tokyo's. There's additional 'electricity in the walls' effects throughout the ride, including right after you go up the temple stairs and have the 'big wow' moment of seeing the temple (the accent this with some more electricity effects, timed at basically the same rate as California's fireball erupting.) You then go to the left through the skeleton sequence, which has far less painted flats then Disneyland, then to the infamous bug room, which, contrary to popular belief, is NOT different then Anahiem's. It's still black and white, not color, although it works every time rather then randomly. You then go across the bridge just like in Anahiem, and get a great view of the amazing skull face (colored blue instead of Disneyland's red) to your left, and the enormous swirling tornado to your right. As you enter the snake sequence, they added the electricity effect from the 'climbing up the stairs' sequence to these walls, and it's quite striking.

4. I thought the blue skies with fiber optic stars were only in the Disneyland version after you entered the chamber in which the future is revealed?

Thanks for the help. I'll be going mid July!
    You're right, the only time you see the fibre optic star ceiling in Disneyland is when you get 'the future' door. Of course, the 'three' Disneyland rooms are really just one room with scrims lit differently depending on the theme. The best way to describe the Tokyo room is if the Disneyland room had the unique effects of all three rooms turned on at once, and instead of Mara at the end, there lay the crystal skull in all it's LSD glory.

A side note, as people have been getting so much of Tokyo's attraction wrong: the angry skeleton projection thing that you see as you rip around behind the skull mountain at Disneyland is still in Tokyo's. There are still mountains of skulls piled high. That's the same. It's just blue instead of red. When you pull into the first 'dark area', instead of having the car stop in the dark, and then start up again and continue in the dark like in Anahiem, you stop in the dark.... and then suddenly a giant stone idol appears in front of you out from the dark. A scary sound is made, and it spits a perfect smoke ring that moves around your car, just as the car starts up again and speeds up. Then we move on in the dark through the area that is, in Disneyland 'the rat sequence', which in Tokyo is actually just dark. It just annoys me that everyone says 'they replaced the rat room with the statue room', when in reality, they added something to the part where you break down in the dark, and removed the rat room. Because the rat effect is lame, not because of budget reasons. So, basically, they just reversed the areas that are dark: Disneyland's is [ main show room/in-the-dark breakdown/barrel through a dark room with projected rats/dart room ] to Tokyo's [ main show room/breakdown + idol smoke ring sequence/barrel through a dark room/dart room ].

And about Toyko’s dart room: to me, it’s so improved that it almost feels like a brand new sequence. The dart room is the single lamest room in Anahiem’s Indy. It’s just so fake/dark ride looking, and reeks of cheap blacklight effects. The dart room in Tokyo is just that, a ROOM. A very creepy room with pedestals lined up along each side each with a terrifying looking carved statue of a little idol making an “O” shape with its mouth, perched and leering down. With how narrow the room is, of course the only way to go is directly in the path of these sleeping idols, and the designers made a great choice of slowing down the jeep when you get to the sequence, as if to hesitate. So when you arrive in the room, you creep by slowly, as if to not disturb the sleeping idols. But then, of course, they awake, sending flame-like rage to their eyes with amazing lighting effects, and the fake air blasts, this time coming DIRECTLY from the actual “O”s in the idol’s faces make it much more real feeling and ten times more exhilarating. Somehow, even the famous ball sequence at the end seemed to be better executed, but that could be just the excitement from the previous sequence, which is almost my favorite in the whole ride. By all accounts, both versions of the ball sequences are equally as good, although again, the indy animatronic seems to be much better in Tokyo.

To sum everything up, Tokyo’s differences lay mainly in theme. You lose the fire and brimstone angle of Anahiem’s, as well as the unique ‘three door’ gimmick. But I think what you gain, is a more mysterious, weirder, and overall greater experience with the “Crystal Skull” treatment. Also, although the use of phematic air in the actual vehicals is different then Anahiem’s hydralic system, there is no change to the realism you get with the EGV system. However, the Anahiem version has been CONSIDERABLY toned down from the designed ‘roughness’ that the ride had when it opened. It used to be wild and unpredictable in Anahiem, and was truly thrilling until lawyers got their hands all over it and toned the jerkiness down around 60-70%. First thing you notice in Tokyo is….WHOA! This ride is ROUGH!!! It’s actually no rougher then Anahiem’s was in it’s first year of operation. It was SUPPOSED to be a wild off-road adventure. Tokyo’s operates at the torque and bumpiness of the original Anahiem version, and in fact may even add a bit more thrill to it’s movements then that. It’s wild, and you really need to hold on. It makes Anaheim’s version seem like Autopia by comparison.

In all, I’m glad they chose to keep some elements unique to Disneyland’s and unique to Tokyo’s, because that way it’s fun to go on both and see them for yourself… but I have to say, hands down, that Tokyo’s is more technically satisfying, several times rougher (and therefore more thrilling) and visually impressive.

• Minion

I have a question about the queue. Which one of these is the actual temple entrance? This one or the one on the right? They both appear to be entering but have different carvings. And when you enter into the main pyramid room, how many different "statues" are there? I've only seen one so far.

*Courtesy of laughingplace.com*

P.S- To "kayoss", thanks for all the details! When you say that the Anaheim version has a fireball erupting, where is that? I never noticed it. And when you say the first chamber has all 3 effects of the Anaheim version, does this include the gold and treasures? The snake statues I meant were the ones in the first chamber. e.g like the golden snake statues in the Anaheim version. Which queue did you prefer out of the two? Also, I heard many people say the bug room is better because it's better projected and 3D like.
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 02-09-2006 at 06:05 PM.

• Minion

This is the "statue" I was talking about in the queue. Look in my previous post if you haven't read it yet. To those who don't want to, my question was "how many of these statues are in the pyramid part of the queue and do they all look the same?"

The one on the left is the entrance to the temple. You go through the doorway in the right picture first, and walk through an eerie corridor carved out of stone with creepy stone heads bathed in red light in the walls above you.

you exit the corridoor and wind through to the temple door.

Oh, the Fastpass line doesn't go through the "Corridor", as the corridor is only there to make the standby line a little more accommodating for the volume of guests. Fastpass goes almost straight to the temple entrance.
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

and there's only one statue, it's placed with it's back against the wall that leads to the show building, and water drips out of one of the serpent's heads into a shallow pool filled with rotting skeletons.

Up above the statue to the right you can just see the walkway as it enteres the rest of the queue (after spiralling up through the first queue chamber)
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lashbear
    The one on the left is the entrance to the temple. You go through the doorway in the right picture first, and walk through an eerie corridor carved out of stone with creepy stone heads bathed in red light in the walls above you.

you exit the corridoor and wind through to the temple door.

Oh, the Fastpass line doesn't go through the "Corridor", as the corridor is only there to make the standby line a little more accommodating for the volume of guests. Fastpass goes almost straight to the temple entrance.
    So the right corridor leads to this hall first and then the head carving? Does this mean you go out in sunshine for a brief moment before going in the temple entrance?

And the temple entrance on the left leads to this huge chamber?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss
    Personally, I like Tokyo's because I've never seen a 'swirling electrical storm pit' before, and I've seen fire effects at almost every theme park around.
    Kayoss, the only other park where you see this effect is at Universal Studios Florida's Twister attraction. You see the same twister in the main theater when guests experience the Twister assault, and at Universal..this show is pretty awesome!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Kayoss, the only other park where you see this effect is at Universal Studios Florida's Twister attraction. You see the same twister in the main theater when guests experience the Twister assault, and at Universal..this show is pretty awesome!
    I think he was talking about the bottom of the pit, not the vortex. Personally, I think the vortex at TDS is way better looking and more realistic than the one at Universal Studios.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    There is no priest in sight so I don't think they are "holy".. hehehe!!
    I guess it's not holy but you and I could go in there and bless it with the Porto Paradiso chant ritual, handclapping, heys, grunts and all!

• Minion

I find it weird that the Disneyland version is never really in a temple at all. Even the queue is not in the temple at all! It's just a cheap gimmick IMO.

So the right corridor leads to this hall first and then the head carving? Does this mean you go out in sunshine for a brief moment before going in the temple entrance?

And the temple entrance on the left leads to this huge chamber?
    Here is the layout as I remember it...

I hope this helps !!

-Rob.
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lashbear
    Here is the layout as I remember it...

I hope this helps !!

-Rob.
    Does this main entrance lead directly to the "anteroom"?

And this entrance leads to the "face corridor" which leads out into the entrance above?

How do the Fastpass people get in the "main entrance" to the temple if there's only one door?

• Minion

One more question about the queue....Is there music playing in the queue or some sort of audio that adds to the scary ambience?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast