Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Japan and Muppets.

It is very unlike the muppets will ever be seen at TDR for several reasons... OLC runs the show, not Disney who is the owner of the Muppets now as far as I know. The japanese public does know the muppets quite well... but there is no connection to those characters and Disney in Japan..at least in the minds of the consumers. Also, the Muppets do not have that "je ne sais quai" cute-factor that is exploited by OLC in regards to the Disney brand. In fact, the muppets would look way out of place at TDR, especially because the muppets fit more into a "studio type" park, over TDL or TDS. Lastly... Universal Studios Japan in Osaka already feature the Sesame Street characters in a HUGE way...including a 3D film, some live shows as well as walk around characters.. The Sesame Street and Muppet characters are basically cut from the same cloth so to speak... I do not believe OLC would like to offer a product that is too similar to what Universal Japan is offering. That is only my opinion but I dare say the Muppets will never come to TDR. Personally...I would prefer TDR to stay "Muppets-free".

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So the Japanese love anime characters, videogame characters, comic book characters, they know Oswald the Rabbitt and love Sesame Street but they can't recognize Kermit the Frog? ! ?

What a minute, I don't really like the Muppets. But just cause they're not that hot right now doesn't mean the Japanese audiiences wouldn't go for a GOOD Muppets attraction not that horrible 3-D movie with the very non-muppet CGI annoying thingy. I hate it, I wont see that Muppet thing ever again because of it.

• Banned User

You seemed to have misuderstood... The japanese *DO* recoginize the muppets quite well... but I don't think they are good enough to be a part of TDR.

• Minion FOREVER!

Couple of points from my viewpoint :

* Muppets are known, but somewhat in "the back of their minds" (similar to
    what's happened here. Kermit is still known.)
    * Elmo & Sesame Street gang are well known since the Sesame Street is
    on TV (well, at least the last I checked).
    * Muppets are NOT identified with Disney at all!

So on the topic of this thread, I agree w/ TDLFAN that a Muppet based attraction
    should not go into TDL at all and probably be a head scratcher for it to be in TDS.
    IMHO, it's not so much how "good" they are vs how it'll fit w/ what the Japanese
    public view/concept of TDR.

• Banned User

Exactly! Eisner fed so much un-Disney stuff into the DL park that now the rest of the true Disney legacy feels somewhat less special when they have to share the bill with Muppets, Indiana Jones..and those kids from a galaxy far far away.... To me it a raping the Disney experience, but Eisner got lucky that people actually enjoy riding Indy and Star Tours.. Same is happening again with Pixar, which I feel is over taking all of the parks, including TDR.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    So the Japanese love anime characters, videogame characters, comic book characters, they know Oswald the Rabbitt and love Sesame Street but they can't recognize Kermit the Frog? ! ?

What a minute, I don't really like the Muppets. But just cause they're not that hot right now doesn't mean the Japanese audiiences wouldn't go for a GOOD Muppets attraction not that horrible 3-D movie with the very non-muppet CGI annoying thingy. I hate it, I wont see that Muppet thing ever again because of it.
    A compuer character with the muppets is not unhead of. In the muppet show from the late 80's there was a computer animated character that ws created for the show. I don't remeber what it was but I remeber it was there. And Jim Henson helped create it as he was still alive and acitve[of course] in the Muppet Show. But anyways tat show is great.

Now, back on topic. If there is ever a 3rd gate added could the muppets possibly reside there? If the mupppets are recognizable, it could be a possibilty

• Minion FOREVER!

Yes. It *could* work in a 3rd gate, but that depend IMHO on what the theme is
    for that 3rd gate.

For example, if it's a "Studio", then it could work. If it's something like Disney America, then it'll be a pretty hard stretch.

On the other hand if the 3rd gate was "MuppetLand!!" :-)

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

MuppetVision 3-D was actually directed by Jim Henson himself, fyi.

Same is happening again with Pixar, which I feel is over taking all of the parks, including TDR.
    This argument doesn't really apply anymore to Pixar characters, since they wholly belong to Disney in every possible way (there is nothing "Un-Disney" about them"). This was technically/legally true even before Disney bought Pixar, but it is especially true now. You can't dislike having Pixar characters in the Disney parks anymore than you can dislike having Simba or Stitch in the parks.

And since this was all off topic, let me say I'm all for Disney exploiting the Muppet property anywhere and in any way that produces QUALITY content or experiences.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Yes. It *could* work in a 3rd gate, but that depend IMHO on what the theme is
    for that 3rd gate.

For example, if it's a "Studio", then it could work. If it's something like Disney America, then it'll be a pretty hard stretch.

On the other hand if the 3rd gate was "MuppetLand!!" :-)
    Yeah, I know I made a broad statement on that one. But I do have to say that if they made MuppetLand, [or would it be HensonLand?] I would be there in no time. It would finally make me figure out how I could afford to travel outside the US. I vote for MuppetLand!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think you peeps are living in Muppetland with Michael Eisner. LOL.

• Banned User

Muppetland and Hensonland...

Makes me shiver in horror just thinking about it!!! I don't care if the muppets are owned by Disney... they are not in the same league as the rest of Disney IMHO, and they do not deserve being in a DL park. Sorry but that's just me... Not a muppet fan at all.

Don't hate the muppets because of Eisner, Love the muppets because of Henson

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HUH?
    Don't hate the muppets because of Eisner, Love the muppets because of Henson
    My lack of enthusiasm for the muppets have NOTHING to do with Eisner at all.. I have never cared for the muppets, and the only reason why I have actually care for them is because they were brought to MGM.. but would not miss them if they were removed altogether.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I dont care if Henson directed it, that stupid 3-D CGI thingy is horrible.

They should have focused on the real Muppet characters.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    I dont care if Henson directed it, that stupid 3-D CGI thingy is horrible.

They should have focused on the real Muppet characters.
    I'm not a fan of Waldo, but I don't find the character horrible. Actually, he was going to be part of a revolution of sorts in puppetry.

There was an episode of "Jim Henson Presents" from 1990 or so called "Secrets of the Muppets." Jim hosted the show and we got a few sketches and tours of the Muppet shops. Also featured on the program was Waldo. Waldo was very cutting edge animation at that time, and was unique in that he was not animated in the way we think of tradiional computer animation code, but by a puppeteer.

There was a puppet on a hand. Esentially just a rounded piece of foam with wires and sensors on it. These sensors then recorded the movement and would in turn animate Waldo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast