Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Huh?

Re: Japan and Muppets.

Quote Originally Posted by ron10036
    I'm not a fan of Waldo, but I don't find the character horrible. Actually, he was going to be part of a revolution of sorts in puppetry.

There was an episode of "Jim Henson Presents" from 1990 or so called "Secrets of the Muppets." Jim hosted the show and we got a few sketches and tours of the Muppet shops. Also featured on the program was Waldo. Waldo was very cutting edge animation at that time, and was unique in that he was not animated in the way we think of tradiional computer animation code, but by a puppeteer.

There was a puppet on a hand. Esentially just a rounded piece of foam with wires and sensors on it. These sensors then recorded the movement and would in turn animate Waldo.
    Waldo C. Graphic was actually created for the Jim Henson Hour... he predates Muppet-Vision by a few years. Voiced by Steve Whitmire, who took over many of Jim Henson's roles.
    -Tim

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Waldo C. Graphic was actually created for the Jim Henson Hour... he predates Muppet-Vision by a few years. Voiced by Steve Whitmire, who took over many of Jim Henson's roles.
    Yep, you're right. Pardon my brain pbblllt.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Old Muppets fan here. Sorry.

I agree that Jim watered it down by focusing too much on the CGI thing. He also did a dis-service by shoehorning Bean Bunny into the regular gang because his loosely related special made him popular enough that Jim just decided to move him into the regular Muppet crew. Not only was that bad, but then he became a big part of Muppet specials (and MuppetVision) just to show him off. It's a lot like what Disney is doing with Stitch right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Eisner fed so much un-Disney stuff into the DL park that now the rest of the true Disney legacy feels somewhat less special when they have to share the bill with Muppets, Indiana Jones..and those kids from a galaxy far far away.... To me it a raping the Disney experience, but Eisner got lucky that people actually enjoy riding Indy and Star Tours.
    Muppets and Lucas is to Eisner as 20,000 Leagues and Davy Crockett is to Walt.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Old Muppets fan here. Sorry.

I agree that Jim watered it down by focusing too much on the CGI thing. He also did a dis-service by shoehorning Bean Bunny into the regular gang because his loosely related special made him popular enough that Jim just decided to move him into the regular Muppet crew. Not only was that bad, but then he became a big part of Muppet specials (and MuppetVision) just to show him off. It's a lot like what Disney is doing with Stitch right now.
    I dunno.. Bean was a wacky enough character to fit comfortably with the rest of the Muppet gang.

But, if you've noticed, outside of the Jim Henson Hour, we haven't seen much of Bean.

The character I didn't really like becoming such a prominent role is Clifford. He's just not Muppetty enough. Obviously, Jim didn't find him *that* appealing either. He didn't have that strong of a presence on the Jim Henson Hour, nor did he have *any* presence in Muppet-Vision 3-D. In fact, he (and Pepe) didn't start to rise into prominent roles until Muppets Tonight.

And now it seems that Pepe is taking Kermit's place.
    -Tim

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Bean the bunny was kinda mopey and depressed (I would be too) but at least not an irritance like that CGI Waldo. Japan is lucky to not have this Muppets attraction. I am ready for the attraction to be replaced by something new but I suppose it supports a certain level of Muppet related merchandise in the adjacent stores. Or does it?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania

Muppets and Lucas is to Eisner as 20,000 Leagues and Davy Crockett is to Walt.
    20K and Davy Crockett were Walt Disney Studios productions even if they were based on someone else's work, unlike Muppets and Star Wars coming from other studios like 20th Century Fox, reason why those two oldies belong at Disneyland, more so than Indy, Star Tours and the Muppets.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Japan is lucky to not have this Muppets attraction.
    That is because Universal Studios Japan has the Sesame Street characters on their attraction list... but wait!!! Guess what the new Universal Studios Japan's 5th anniversary lagoon show will be based on.....
    Peter Pan.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm all ready for John Lassiter to repurpose the Muppet shows in FL and CA but I doubt they'd kill the franchise and it's associated merchadise locations.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Peter Pan.
    ?

Did the live action Pan do enough money to base a how off of or is Universal just cashing in on the Japanese love of stories?

• Former Epcot CM

I can just imagine an advertisement war between Uni and Disney. I bet OLC will suddenly start a marketing blitz for the 20 year old Peter Pan's Flight to drown out the new show at Universal.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion FOREVER!

That is because Universal Studios Japan has the Sesame Street characters on their attraction list... but wait!!! Guess what the new Universal Studios Japan's 5th anniversary lagoon show will be based on.....
    Peter Pan.
    Huh?!? What in the world are they thinking?? Oh, well, that's like free publicity
    for OLC! I was an adult before I realized that Peter Pan's story wasn't Disney
    and that there was a musical that predates it! My guess that in Japan that's
    even worse!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    ?

Did the live action Pan do enough money to base a how off of or is Universal just cashing in on the Japanese love of stories?
    Well.... I honestly do not know the reasons behind it, and it certainly is their main event for their 5th anniversary celebration, starting on April 20th, 2006.... God willing, I shall be there on May 3rd to cover this show for you all to enjoy. Universal Japan's advertizement is certainly glossy...check it out and scroll down to read about the show...

http://www.usj.co.jp/peterpan/e_index.html

Peter Pan will fly over the Universal Lagoon using a similar cord system used by Tinkerbell over DL during the Fireworks.... Peter will soar high and low and move from one side of the lagoon to the other.... The only thing is... in order to do this, they needed to build two unsightly tall towers on either end of the lagoon that simply destroy the look of their lagoon area...
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-03-2006 at 03:35 PM.

http://www.usj.co.jp/peterpan/e_index.html

Peter Pan will fly over the Universal Lagoon using a similar cord system used by Tinkerbell over DL during the Fireworks.... Peter will soar high and low and move from one side of the lagoon to the other.... The only thing is... in order to do this, they needed to build two unsightly tall towers on either end of the lagoon that simply destroy the look of their lagoon area...
    What a rip off. Looks like they are combining the best moments from "remember" and "Fantasmic".

Now of course if TDL ever tries some sort of tink flyover they will be considered the ones copying.

I don't think USF would even dare such a stunt, but you never know.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom319
    I don't think USF would even dare such a stunt, but you never know.
    Excuse but I saw the fly by tests being done with sand bags over the Universal Japan lagoon last time I was there a couple of months ago. Peter will fly over their lagoon... Too bad TDR didn't pull a similar Tink Stunt since it can be done the same way they do it at WDW... from the castle over to TL, or from the volcano towards... the roman ruins I guess....

• Former Epcot CM

He said USF. He could have been referring to the differences between what the American and Japanese Universals would do.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California