Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Bending Unit

WDW after experiencing TDR

Hello guys!
    We're travelling to WDW in September ( hurrah!) but I'm a little worried that we'll be disappointed after having been to TDR and experiencing Disney the Oriental Land Co. way!

So my question (problem?) is this: for those of you who love TDR (myself included!), what advice would you give someone returning to WDW? For example, everyone raves about Cinderella's Royal Table character breakfast, but is the event really all that great?

Have any of you returned to WDW after TDR and wished you'd done something differently, such as accommodation, or special events, or dining experiences?

Anyway, any tips and pointers greatly appreciated!

PS. The last time we went to WDW was in 2002, and this time we're travelling with two friends who've never been to WDW or TDR (only DLP).

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: WDW after experiencing TDR

I would not go in expecting disappointment in the face of TDR, if you do then you'll create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Although there's some posters here who would make you think that WDW was some kind of broken down clunker compared to TDR, other overseas visitors seem to find a special charm in the American parks. For instance, our own Dr. Crane from Australia. I don't know why he'd spend so much to go to DL for a Disney fix instead of TDR but he enjoys DL just as much if not more. For me that sounds like a bad decision but that's probably got to do with my background and experience as well as his.

WDW is clean. It is not immaculate, but it's clean. Most CMs will be hospitable if you seek assistance. They are not overly helpful to a fault, but they typically try to do the job they're supposed to do. It does not have the end-all highest level of Disney theming in any of it's parks like DisneySea, but almost all areas are pretty well done and Epcot does represent the high-mark in Imagineering for it's era.

I can't speak from the TDL perspective that you want, but I have heard multiple reports that the food at Cindy's Table is a notch below other character meals simply because the experience "packs them in" regardless of the food quality.

• Bending Unit

Thanks MickeyMania,

You're right about the self-fulfilling prophecy, of course, and we'll be going open-minded. In fact, we'll be travelling with two friends who've never done WDW before, so that's always a joy!

Let me phrase it this way: TDR exceed my expectations both times.

One area which draws immediate comparison is food prices & quality, which I felt at TDR were outstanding. All my memories of WDW are of overpriced food (i.e. quality not becoming the price).

So a question I'm wondering about is where to eat in the WDW parks?

Similarly, the parks were open late in Tokyo, ticket prices seemed reasonable and transportation (from the Hilton via monorail) was fast and easy.

• Disney Prince

look at it this way from a layman's prespective, TDR still doesn't have Fantasmic!, Wishes and Illuminations....

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

While I can't speak for Tokyo until Sept.I don't think your going to be dissapointed by WDW.Its got a great choice of resturants to choose from,and like stitcharielsinbad says has Fantasmic!, Wishes and Illuminations performed each night.And has a lot of exclusive attractions that you can't find at Tokyo.And best of all everything is in English!

Like your doing I myself recently returned to WDW first time in 6 years,even tho I've been to California and Paris a few times in since I was not in the least bit disappointed when I did return this year.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez
    I'm a little worried that we'll be disappointed after having been to TDR and experiencing Disney the Oriental Land Co. way!
    WDW is great. I don't think that you will be disappointed. You might be a little disappointed in the Magic Kingdom, but the whole place is great!

Keep in mind that the distance between the parks is large! WDW is huge! Have great walking shoes! Also be sure to go to one of the water parks, they are great.

Have a wonderful time.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez
    For example, everyone raves about Cinderella's Royal Table character breakfast, but is the event really all that great?

Have any of you returned to WDW after TDR and wished you'd done something differently, such as accommodation, or special events, or dining experiences?

Anyway, any tips and pointers greatly appreciated!

PS. The last time we went to WDW was in 2002, and this time we're travelling with two friends who've never been to WDW or TDR (only DLP).
    I've never been to TDR, but we went to WDW in 2004 and had a great time at Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast. In fact, we went to six (no joke) different character meals while we were at WDW that week, and I can tell you that CRT had the best CMs, hands down, of any of them (DAK's Breakfastasaurus was a close second). In terms of food, I don't know what to say, I'm not very picky about that stuff and it was good for me! But it was pretty basic breakfast food, nothing real fancy, but it was good.

If you want a truly unique WDW dining experience, you should look into the Hoop-de-doo Musical Revue, but I haven't seen that one since I was a kid. Would anybody care to second that suggestion?
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Having a Grand Day!

TDL is a nice park, but I'd go to Disneyland before TDL anyday - It's just the way I feel inside Disneyland. Sure, TDL is Cleaner, Well Maintained and the Service is superior, but I just fell more at home in Disneyland. It's a personal thing and hard to explain, but it's just the way I feel.

• Married and happy again!!

I know some posters treat WDW like it some bratty little step child or something but WDW is a fantastic place. Is it as good as TDR? That is just up to your personal prefrence. I have been to all but Hong Kong Disney and to be perfectly honest I still love WDW. It is kind of hard to compare them really. Every park has had it's own charms that I look forward to when I am at that park. An each park has it's faults too. I hope you go there and have a wonderful time. As for Cinderelle's breakfast wish I could say if it's good or not but 5 years of trying and I still have never been able to get my reservations made. I call and get the recording call back a min later and get told that it is booked up compleatly. For another fun dinning experience Try The Rainforest Cafe outside Animal Kingdome.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Paging TDLFAN to the front of the plane ... I mean, thread ... would TDLFAN care to add his 45 cents worth? (I hope!)

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    look at it this way from a layman's prespective, TDR still doesn't have Fantasmic!, Wishes and Illuminations....
    Great point here. Illuminations is an utterly stunning show. I try to see it, at least, twice during each of my trips to WDW. It really is a special experience...gathering around the fire.

I cannot wait to visit TDR one day. It's on my to-do list within the next year or two.
    -J

Subscribe or listen to The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Real Life Audio Adventures in the Parks

Click for a Short Promo

You Don't Need an IPOD - Anyone Can Listen - Download the MP3 or listen right over the website for FREE!!
    http://www.meanderingmouse.com

OR...Search for "disney" within the ITunes podcast directory and subscribe there!!

The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Streams of Consciousness from the Happiest Place on Earth!

• Disney Prince

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Paging TDLFAN to the front of the plane ... I mean, thread ... would TDLFAN care to add his 45 cents worth? (I hope!)
    no need, we all know of his utter hatred of WDW...

anyway, I think both resorts have equitable merits of their own and can be both equally enjoyable. TDR is meant for a whole other culture and prides itself with the utmost in disney quality and maintenance, WDW has so much in it to see and do, plus it takes on a whole other identity at night. TDR packs a great first impression when you first get there, everything is absoultely pristine and lovely; WDW on the other hand, gives the best goodnight kiss at the end of the day when it comes to its spectacular night shows. Really, they are apples and oranges of the same brand.

If you really don't want to be dissaponted by your return to WDW, make sure you get on Soarin', catch LMAX if there is a car enthusiast in the bunch, as much as possible, experience all 3 of the night shows (I'm guessing you haven't seen "Wishes" yet) and of course, don't miss Everest and if you want to be thrilled you can also catch Mission:Space while you're at it oh and Mickey's Philharmagic wouldn't hurt either...the only 3-D show I've ever seen where you wouldn't want to close your eyes or take the glasses off.
    Last edited by stitcharielsinbad; 03-19-2006 at 07:36 AM.

• Bending Unit

Thanks for your views so far!

General consensus seems to be that WDW has some great night-time shows, so I'll be sure to pencil those in.

The Royal Table breakfast sounds like it's worth a try. I guess you should try it once in a lifetime!

stitcharielsinbad: the rides you mention are definitely on the itinerary. I'm also looking forward to the TTA (which, by the way, TDL doesn't have!) and I always love.

Are there any restaurants (fast food or other) you guys would classify avoid-at-all-costs? Or highly recommend? For example, we ate at the Queen of Hearts restaurant in TDL and it was outstanding (they even sold 'Unbirthday' cakes -- anyone ever seen those before?).

Similarly, any accommodation you guys would avoid at all costs? I always hear great things about the WL but can never work out what makes the place so special.

(Sorry, I know this thread falls somewhere between WDW and TDR, so I'm hoping no-one will be offended by the shake-n-mix of the topic!)

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

When it comes to fast food I recomend trying the fish & chips at the UK pavilion in World Showcase,and as your from the UK you should feel right at home.

Also try and pencil in SpectroMagic at MK which is usually performed once or twice a week during off season and every night in the peak season.Its usually takes place a hour or so before Wishes.And is probarely the best parade WDW has at the mo in my opinion.Sadly this may be one area where you may feel let down compare to the great parades TDR stages all year round.

I've just got back from WDW and are heading to Tokyo myself in Sept so it'll be great for us to both compare our thoughts on the differences between both Resorts when we get back.

One other tip depending on how long your going for why not give Downtown Disney a go one day.The place has some nice places to eat,and shop,while you could also give Disneyquest a try, catch a film and maybe watch the Cirque Du Soleil show.Just to get a break from the parks.

• Bending Unit

Malin, you're one lucky person -- you'll get to ride TDS' new Tower of Terror in September!

Interestingly enough I always find Downtown Disney a little disappointing. I think it's because we went to WDW when I was young and the marketplace area was still small. This was once before and once just after Pleasure Island had been built. We stayed in a Treehous Villa and would drive to the marketplace in a golf cart (which my Dad laughs about it because the golf cart always cost him more than the rental car!). By the way, people would park these golf carts 'under' the treehouse and plug them in to recharge them. Those were pretty cool. So a big nostalgia factor there with the 'old', slightly more intimate marketplace which is no more.

I'll check out when SpectroMagic is on since my partner loves parades (which I call 'valuable queueing time', but anyway , we're going low-season).

As for Cirque de Soleil, it's an absolute must do for us, since we've seen a few other shows (notably 'O') and are always awed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast