What kind of Budget for TDR for a 2 week stay???

With airfare, hotel, park tics, and food....I estimate, at least, $4000 to $5500 for one person for two weeks. Any feedback from people that have taken the plunge?
    -J

Subscribe or listen to The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Real Life Audio Adventures in the Parks

Click for a Short Promo

You Don't Need an IPOD - Anyone Can Listen - Download the MP3 or listen right over the website for FREE!!
    http://www.meanderingmouse.com

OR...Search for "disney" within the ITunes podcast directory and subscribe there!!

The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Streams of Consciousness from the Happiest Place on Earth!

Re: What kind of Budget for TDR for a 2 week stay???

I think it depends on the hotel. Airfare is probably at least $1500 I'm guessing, for coach? And then the hotel will be an even larger expense. Like if you're staying at that hotel right at the entrance to Tokyo Disneysea, or the Park Hyatt Tokyo, you're looking at $400+ per night. But I think there are other options that are more like $200 per night, or maybe even $150. If you figure $200 per night on the hotel, then that is $2800 for 14 nights. So just for air and hotel, $4300. It sounds like depending on the hotel, the $5500 figure would be more like it, unfortunately. If you're staying at one of the higher end hotels, a lot more.

Yeah, I think I threw in $300/night as a figure. Thanks for the feedback. It's a dream of mine to get there...I could hop a plane and go next month if I wanted to go alone (money and time aren't an issue for me at the moment) but I'm just not really confident enough to be Lost in Translation by myself. That's where the problem comes in. It's hard to find people in my social network that have the time or money to go out there.

How does anyone feel about a Solo trip out there? Bad idea? I've never been to Japan before. I kinda feel like I may be okay if I stay inside the Disney bubble, but it would be a shame not to take a handful of days to explore Tokyo and some of the historic sites as well.

-Jeff
    -J

Subscribe or listen to The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Real Life Audio Adventures in the Parks

Click for a Short Promo

You Don't Need an IPOD - Anyone Can Listen - Download the MP3 or listen right over the website for FREE!!
    http://www.meanderingmouse.com

OR...Search for "disney" within the ITunes podcast directory and subscribe there!!

The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Streams of Consciousness from the Happiest Place on Earth!

• Banned User

A two week stay?? Well... your budget depends on how much your are willing to spend. I would guess $4,000 is about correct, but with some careful hotel selection and shopping around for airfares and deals and spending minimal on food and souvenirs and the likes expenses... you can get by with around $2,800. But Japan is expensive, more so now that fuel prices are higher than last week.

..And yes, going solo to Tokyo may be intimidating but not impossible to the point of breaking down crying. It can be done, and being solo affords you the chance to do it... *you way*. It would be a shame if you went all the way out there and didn't get to explore the sighs and sounds of the city, or take a city tour and possibly a tour to Mt. Fuji and Hakone. Trust me, you won't need more than 4 days to get thru with TDR, then what are you going to do with the next 11 days of your 2-week trip???

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I don't want to travel all the way out there and not spend, at least, two weeks time. I also want to make sure and see the sites in and around Tokyo. Guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for the chips to fall into place.

-Jeff from Houston - The Meandering Mouse Podcast

That amount seems so high but I guess thats also considering all the hotel expenses and all that.
    Depending on where you are flying in from, the flight can vary from around $500 (off season, mid week departure) to $1500 (high season).
    And hotels too can totally depend. If you want to stay at an official disney hotel, you can be looking at spending at least $300 a night... but if you decide to stay in a more low-key hotel in tokyo somewhere, you would only have to spend about $100 a night on a hotel. I think you could also priceline a hotel if you wanted to go a little lower than $100 too.
    At the very minimum I would think a two week trip would cost about $2000 but more likely in the neighborhood of $3000+ if you include park tickets and transportation, etc.

Traveling in Japan solo might be difficult depending on how comfortable you are with traveling in a different country by yourself. There are bus tours and walking tours and all that stuff that you can do in English, or simply walk around the city by yourself but two weeks alone can get kinda lonely for some people. You could also book a tour? Its probably not as much fun but it might be cheaper that way?