• Banned User

Attendance down at TDR

TDR Attendance Figures for Fiscal Year 2004

April 1st, 2005

Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea Parks Attendance Figures for Fiscal Year 2004

URAYASU, CHIBA - The total combined attendance at Tokyo Disneyland Park and Tokyo DisneySea Park for this fiscal year (April 1, 2004 to March 31, 2005) amounted to 25.021 million guests, 98.2% of last year's attendance. Since Tokyo Disneyland Park first opened in April 1983, a total of 360.432 million guests have visited the two Parks.

Since the previous fiscal year had the advantage of various events related to the Tokyo Disneyland 20th Anniversary celebration, a decrease in the combined attendance of the two Parks for this fiscal year was expected. Furthermore, the record-breaking heat wave and the record number of typhoons hitting the country during the summer season and more snowfall than the average year were additional contributing factors for the decrease in attendance this fiscal year.

The number of days that both Parks were in operation in fiscal 2004 was 365 days.

For Reference: Fiscal Year 2003 Park Attendance (Tokyo Disneyland Park and Tokyo DisneySea Park guests ages 4 and above) was 25,473,000 persons (April 1, 2003 to March 31, 2004).

-- Source: Oriental Land Company release

Many THANKS to www.jtcent.com for providing this info.

It's obvious that folks have figured out that OLC has nothing on the magic you can find in Orlando. I give that new DisneySea place about two years before they have to close it and make a shopping mall out of it. Maybe pins, plush and character meals could save it? And a cut in maintainance staff? Do theme parks really have to be so clean you could eat off the ground? I didn't think so either. (NOTE: This would be my April Fool's post except I couldn't access the site the past two days.)

• Banned User

But sadly, it wasn't an April's Fool joke. This is a real news story.

I understood that, TDLFAN, I was just (attempting) to be sarcastic about how TDR could get more folks if they dropped their standards like WDW has. I still can't possibly see how the MK had higher attendance than TDL did ... I think there was some play with the numbers.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Probably because most Japanese would prefer to see the real thing at Anaheim than see the (admittedly very-well crafted) imitation on Tokyo Bay.

Remember that the dollar is very weak right now, and that makes trips to America from overseas very affordable (and Americans' trips to TDR very expensive, unfortunately for me.)

If my guess is correct, then while this is bad for OLC in the short term, I think it's good for Disney theme parks on the whole, as TDA in California may start recognizing the tourist boom and decide to swing a little of their AP marketing towards out of towners and balance the local/tourist ratio a bit.

TDR doesn't have as many non-native guests as the US parks do (as little as 2.5% of total attendance). A lack of non-Japanese guests at the TDR won't affect OLC much.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I think you may need to re-read what I said again. I suggested that Japanese are going to the US parks since it's cheaper to do so now. Not vice versa.