Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: A Tribute to the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Photo #18, thats the face in the fountains that I love!

And that dragon was huge, why did it never get the recognition like the one in Paris? Was it that much less of an active AA?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom319
    Having never been on it could someone explain where in the castle this takes place? On the video it looked like it was going underground. Also what does the Caslte at WDW have in this area?
    The tour starts at ground level... then goes downstairs about 2 floors down, where most of the action takes place. The escape from the dragon is via an elevator that goes up to the thrid level of the castle above ground level.. that is where the encounter with the Horned King takes place.... You exit the castle via the stair case found outside the castle facing the Airstocats gift shop.

• Sea Creature

This is truly one of the saddest closings I've ever seen. I have many memories going through as a young child. I have lots of the medals since nobody else was ever brave enough to be the hero. I've seen lot's of parents trying to get their kids to do it and some 40 year old man does it because the kid is too scared. Fun stuff!
    Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 04-10-2006 at 08:36 PM.

• Banned User

I got my medal when I was... like 38.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Photo #18, thats the face in the fountains that I love!

And that dragon was huge, why did it never get the recognition like the one in Paris? Was it that much less of an active AA?
    Because, like nearly everything in Tokyo, it gets buried by Disney park fan-boys because it's simply too far away... in Tokyo. Disney doesn't help out in this department either, which is a shame, because the accomplishments in the Tokyo parks are still from the imaginations of our American designers. Just realized on a much grander scale, with a budget outside of anything America has seen since...well... ever.

To answer your question, the dragon in Tokyo was actually BIGGER then the dragon in Paris. Paris' started out as a clone of Tokyo's but then got shrunk as the budget of the park went out of control. Many wonderful parts of Tokyo's dragon were copied in Paris, but the Tokyo dragon was at least 40% bigger. (There was a tremendously innovative way of 'building up' to the dragon as you walked past an enormous, breathing, belly... parts of this exist in Paris, just on a smaller scale...)

The skeleton army Black Caludron 'rising from the dead sequence' was astounding. Easily my favorite AA sequence from any Disney park ever. It brought chills to me every single time. The scale of this was just incredible. The AA of the Black Caldruon villian was amazing and LIGHT YEARS ahead of traditional animatronics.

This was an extravagent, built-to-the-hilt, AA extravaganza that truly was from another time... both in design and in execution. It's very very sad that it's gone, because something even close to it's scale will almost certainly will never be attempted again.

• Banned User

The dragons at both DLP and TDL are about the same size, with DLP's being more animated and complex in motion.

Sad Re: A Tribute to the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    The dragons at both DLP and TDL are about the same size, with DLP's being more animated and complex in motion.
    I very clearly remember the 'breathing' sequence in TDL, which, in a lesser extent was in DLP's dragon. Perhaps hindsight is 20/20, but I recall the Tokyo dragon to have been much greater in size. You'd obviously know, TDLFAN, as you get to visit the individual resorts more often then us mortals. :P

Now of course, Tokyo's is in Limbo. Any clue if they're going to reuse any of those AAs? What happens to the poor dragon? Please don't tell me it's being scrapped!

• UH..LIKE DUH..

The Castle Mystery Tour was pretty lame IMHO. The Dragon did nothing but snore (the one in DLP is worth seeing as it is awake). I think that the "Princessateria" will be more memorable for the guest and each kid will feel special (except if you are a boy), not the case in the CMT, where one kid gets a medal for bravery while others do not.

The only regret I have is that it is the further feminizing of Disneyland, an already girl oriented place. The Prince's defend the Castle, are always off "hunting" and never get anything out of the deal except to be an accessory for the Princess who'll probably get the Castle in divorce court.. I say we rename them "Prince Charming's Castle", or "Prince Philip's Castle"! With joint custody of the Dragon! Now THERE"S a thread!!!!

• Banned User

I agree: The Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour was terribly dated because it was based on a lousy movie that no one cares about or remembers. While I enjoyed going through it, the audience members never participated at a level with the cast members (guides) that would have made the attraction fun. The technology that many parts of the attraction used was dated, and it was also difficult even for members of the small groups to see what was happening in some of the smaller rooms.
    That said, It's sad to see any attraction close so a restaurant can open in its place.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It might have been dated but from what I could see int he video, it still seemed really cool. I'll take a walk-through castle attraction over a princess themed restaurant any day (and I'm a girl).

• Banned User

It was not dated at all.. Au contraire.. it was a fun walk thru.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12