Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

Anyone else notice...?

There were two things I noticed that were unique to the TDL Haunted Mansion that I haven't heard anyone else mention (aside from the gargoyles out front). First, in either the loading area or the Library (probably the library) there was a book that continuously turned it's pages. Second, in the Corridor of Doors, there was either a picture or a section of the wall where a face stretched out of it towards us (like in Nightmare on Elm Street). These things weren't even mentioned in Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies. Can anyone clarify this?

Also, I was actually a bit unimpressed by TDL itself... most of the rides were clones of ones here in the states (I didn't ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt 'cause of the line), and a lot of these rides had half english dialogue and half japanese (in Star Tours, Rex spoke Japanese while the man he talked to in the tower spoke english). My guess is that this can get confusing for Japanese visitors, but who knows. On the other hand, Tokyo Disney Sea blew me away and I can't understand why it gets fewer visitors (we went from the extremely crowded TDL to the near-empty TDS). They need to build a Stormrider in Epcot or the Magic Kingdom, seriously.

Have you faced the Yeti?

• Sea Creature

Re: Anyone else notice...?

If rides are all you care about, you may not be totally thrilled about TDL, but I still think it has a selection of the best rides that were ever put in the Magic Kingdoms. You didn't ride Pooh!!!??? Gotta go again and do that. Glad that you were impressed with DisneySea. It's situation certainly isn't as bad as some people have made it out to be, it's an incredible park.

• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

Well, when I was there it went like this:

Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters: Two hour wait

Journey to the Center of the Earth: Ten minute wait

I think I'll stick with TDS till I can get up there during a non-crowded time of the year (it was Summer then).

Have you faced the Yeti?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Mitsukai,
    I also noticed the face that stretches out of the wall in the Tokyo Haunted Mansion. I think about that effect every time I ride one of the other Haunted Mansions. It is quite effective. Altho the location of Haunted Mansion in Fantasyland is very strange and sort of out of place.

I agree that Tokyo Disneyland is not the best of the Disneyland parks. The Tomorrowland is cramped and reminds me of a whitewashed alley. The New Orleans Square and Adventureland areas have lots of strange dead areas. It looks like they picked this and that from the Disneyland and Disney World blueprints and set things down in their park. Only the scale of the two parks doesn't match, so it doesn't all fit together correctly. It is definitely 3rd place out of the 4 Disneylands in my mind. However, I am crazy in love with Tokyo Disney Seas for its beauty alone. Some day, when TDS gets a few more rides (perhaps by the time tower opens) it will be one of the best, if not the most spectacular Disney park. This is all my personal opinion of course (I know that TDL has its fans), but I'm a HUGE TDS fan.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Mitsukai,
    I also noticed the face that stretches out of the wall in the Tokyo Haunted Mansion. I think about that effect every time I ride one of the other Haunted Mansions. It is quite effective. Altho the location of Haunted Mansion in Fantasyland is very strange and sort of out of place.
    Never heard of those faces...or the book.

The HM in Tokyo was placed in Fantasyland because in Japan, Ghost Stories are considered Fairy Tales. Also, it's placement within Fantasyland is to ensure a smoother transition between Frontierland and Fantasyland.

• Gay Man

I'm sorry you missed Pooh. It is the ONLY Pooh attraction in the Disney stable worth riding. It's actually REALLY good.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukai
    There were two things I noticed that were unique to the TDL Haunted Mansion that I haven't heard anyone else mention (aside from the gargoyles out front). First, in either the loading area or the Library (probably the library) there was a book that continuously turned it's pages. Second, in the Corridor of Doors, there was either a picture or a section of the wall where a face stretched out of it towards us (like in Nightmare on Elm Street). These things weren't even mentioned in Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies. Can anyone clarify this?
    I have mentioned these differences quite a few times in this and other sites. You also missed the one coolest difference... the walking book on the floor in the Library scene.

I didn't ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt 'cause of the line
    Then I can safely say you DID NOT go to TDL. Going there and not riding the best Pooh Ride on Earth is simply sacrilegious.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I don't know. Avoiding all forms of Pooh can be a secret to a great Disney vacation depending on who you are.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I don't know. Avoiding all forms of Pooh can be a secret to a great Disney vacation depending on who you are.
    NOt at TDL. It does not apply. Missing Pooh's Hunny Hunt at TDL is missing one of the best rides in the park, and one that greatly enhances the TDL experience since it is so unique in an E-ticket level.

• Huh?

and a lot of these rides had half english dialogue and half japanese (in Star Tours, Rex spoke Japanese while the man he talked to in the tower spoke english). My guess is that this can get confusing for Japanese visitors, but who knows.
    It shouldn't be too confusing... It's a requirement for Japanese students to take several years of English. Ever watch a Japanese movie or listen to Japanese music? They're usually peppered with all sorts of English diaglogue (or at least loan-words from english). However, since most Japanese never get immersed in an English speaking society, they usually don't speak it very well (You'll commonly hear a Japanese englsih teacher tell their students that "Mouth" is pronounced exactly the same way as Mickey Mouse).
    -Tim

• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    I'm sorry you missed Pooh. It is the ONLY Pooh attraction in the Disney stable worth riding. It's actually REALLY good.
    Actually, I really like the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, so I can only imagine how awesome this one must be. Another reason I didn't ride, though, is that I thought it was gonna be the same as the one over here.

Now, there were some things I liked about TDL... one was that they have the DL version of PoC (or at least very close), as I had never ridden the DL version. Another is Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (again, had never ridden it, though I'm surprised the movie was popular enough in Japan to warrant the ride being built there). Third was Pinnochio, since I hadn't ridden that in a long time. I didn't do Splash Mountain (for some reason, I can handlle roller coasters but not that drop). One thing about TDL I didn't like, though, was that the lands all seemed to flow into eachother without anything separating them.

At TDS, "Journey" was incredible (I could've sworn we kept going DOWN, I dunno how we got up there for the drop). Dad liked it too, which is saying a lot, since he's the dull type (in every single ride photo, he looks bored, even if he enjoyed it). My now-stepmom hated it. Unfortunately, I missed 20k. I saw the 3D Genie show, which I understood despite not speaking Japanese. I thought it was funny as heck. My dad couldn't get it, though, and fell asleep. My stepmom was PMSing through most of the trip.

We did Indiana Jones, which for some reason had a longer wait than everything else. We all enjoyed it, but having seen videos of the DL version, this one didn't seem QUITE as good to me. While the ride itself seemed more or less the same (except for the crystal skull storyline and japanese indy), I was disapointed by lack of queue gags, even though the queue looked very convincing. This was also more or less the only ride that had other Americans on it.

When we got in line for Stormriders, I didn't know what to expect. I like simulators, and the name sounded cool, so I figured "what the heck, it's only a 20 minute wait". Now, the first great thing was that there was a scrolling English translation while the castmember spoke. However, when the missile came down for a demonstration, it blocked our view of the box! Anyway, at least we knew what was happening this time around. The ride blew us away, as not only did it have a normal screen (actually, the screen was more like a mini-imax), but there were even screens for the "windows"! Plus the missile coming through the ceiling and rain blowing through the hole it made helped immerse us even more into the ride. I had come up with lots of ideas for a simulator with windows, but had no idea that there already was one. They need to bring it over here! They could easily put it where Body Wars used to be in Epcot, maybe turn that entire pavillion into a weather/storm theme.

Raging Spirits hadn't opened yet (or if it was there, I never saw it).

We did the Sinbad ride, and even that amazed me. The movement was extremely lifelike and fluid, and the AA's were only about as big as the Small World dolls!

We ate dinner at an italian restaurant (thinnest friggin' pizza in the history of the world, yet still good). We watched the BraviSEAmo show, which I thought was very soothing yet not quite my speed. Dad and my stepmom loved it, though.

Have you faced the Yeti?

• Empress of Randomness

A lot of these rides had half english dialogue and half japanese (in Star Tours, Rex spoke Japanese while the man he talked to in the tower spoke english).

I think its like that in Paris also....except its in french not japanese...

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• Banned User

Actually, I really like the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, so I can only imagine how awesome this one must be. Another reason I didn't ride, though, is that I thought it was gonna be the same as the one over here.
    Hardly. The ones at DL and WDW are C-ticket cardboard rides, while TDL's Pooh is a bonafide E-ticket, in a 3D world of sets, where the vehicles move on a trackless system where you simply do not know which way you will go next. It's an amazing ride very unique to TDL. It's a shame to miss it.

I didn't do Splash Mountain (for some reason, I can handlle roller coasters but not that drop).
    OMG!!! Another shame!! TDL's Splash is the biggest and longest one of the three Splash versions on earth, featuring the most elaborate sets of any of them. If you can handle the drop at TDS' Journey, then this drop is a cakewalk.

Raging Spirits hadn't opened yet (or if it was there, I never saw it).
    You never saw it then because Raging Spirits have been opened for almost 8 months now.

We did the Sinbad ride, and even that amazed me. The movement was extremely lifelike and fluid, and the AA's were only about as big as the Small World dolls!
    Sindbad is one of TDS' best rides around. Too bad you missed the other standout rides at TDL.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Sindbad is one of TDS' best rides around. Too bad you missed the other standout rides at TDL.
    Not according to OLC...lol, they want it changed.

• Oh... riiiiiiiiight.

I went in 2004.

Have you faced the Yeti?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast