TDR travel times and money questions

End of July!!!! WooHoo! First trip to Tokyo!

I am all over the web looking for these answers, and keep hitting a stonewall, so maybe one of you can help.
    1) Is there a place where I can find apporximate travel times from the major JR stations in Tokyo to the TDR. I have been able to find out that Tokyo Station is about 15 mins, but that's about it. I want to book a hotel within a 30 min train ride if possible. What areas might be an option?
    2) I have a stack of Disney Dollars.....any chance that they are accepted/exchangable at the Tokyo parks?

I am sure that I have tons of other questions, but those are the ones that I can think of off hand.

Thanks a ton to the people at jtcent, and tdrfan! Those sites help me to convince my wife that we were gonna be able to do this trip.
    To all who doth come upon this happy place, be you welcome!

• Banned User

Re: TDR travel times and money questions

Answer to question #1 is extensive... Travel times from most stations around the eastern side of Tokyo can be from 15 mins to 30 mins tops. From the western sie of Tokyo... like Shibuya or Shinyuku, travel times can vary from 45 mins to 90 mins, depending on trains liines selected, times of the day etc etc. So there is no absolute answer to that. If you want to be within 30 mins of TDR by train... then you need to book in the areas around Tokyo station, or around Odaiba area by the bay, or go east not farther than Makuharimesse, but that's on the east and not near downtown.. I would suggest hotels like the Sheraton or Hilton at TDR, or Pan Pacific or Nikko in Odaiba. Avoid hotels close to Narita airport, takes an hour to drive to TDR and the trains can be about 90 mis from there as well.

2) Disney Dollars... TDR is operated by OLC. I do not believe Disney Dollars are acceptable currency in Japan, besides...that is a WDC idea, and WDC is not running the parks in Japan. I have not even seen Disney dollars accepted at DLP or HKDL either.

Disney Dollars are issued in US dollar amounts so the value is different out of the country.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Besides wouldn't you call them Disney yen and Disney Euro

thanks! I think I found a hotel in Ginza, the Mercure Hotel Ginza, within our budget, and it seems like it is in a decent area for walking to attractions. I just don't want to get caught in a no-man's land for my one, and probably only, trip to Japan. Every heard of it?

I figured as much about the disney dollars....worth a try.

• Banned User

GOOD CHOICE on your hotel and location! The Mercure Chain is an european company and their hotels are usually decent 3-4 star rating facilities. As for the Mercure Ginza.. it's located about a couple of blocks north of the famous Ginza shopping area. Tres posh and exclusive area in Tokyo. Best part is... this hotel is well located in regards to TDR. a very short walk from the hotel to "Ginza-Itchome" metro station. That is the YURAKUCHO metro line. Go 5 stops down to the end of the line which is "Shin-Kiba" station. In Shin-Kiba, you go upstairs two levels to the JR Train and take the JR train 2 stops down to TDR!!! It's that simple!!! This is the fastest most direct way to get to TDR from where you are, and should take about 20 mins travel time, give or take a couple of mins due to wait times when transferring.

Also, may I suggest... from the Mercure..walk down Ginza-Dori (ave.) 2 blocks to Harumi-Dori (that's the World famous Ginza corner where Mitsukoshi Dept Store is at!). Turn right on Harumi-Dori..and walk a couple of blocks up (passing under the JR and Bullet Train track overpass) until you get to the next corner on the left where there is a little park featuring a Godzilla statue. Behind that park, you will see the "TDR Ticket Center", can't miss it! Buy your tickets there BEFORE you go to the parks so you don't have to waste time in line buying tickets when you arrive at the park.

Not sure what else I could suggest...but at least you are staying in an area that is quite convenient to TDR and other parts of Tokyo via the Metro Subway system.

You, my friend , are an absolute rock star! Thanks so much for the guidance. This is a major adventure for us, and I just want it to go well.

Hey, here's a question, if you don't mind. I understand that Disney Seas is turning five, and from what I can gather, the celebration kicks off on July 14th-15th.
    I am willing to bet that crowds are gonna be crazy....Is there a day of the week that is generally slower for attendance? I have seen a list of refurbs and closures on jtcent.com. Is there an accurate place to check out closures? I also noticed a bunch of shows have closed recently....are replacements opening soon? Lastly, I swear: Everest did a super-long soft opening (almost 3 months long) at AK. Any word on possible soft opening dates for ToT at Disney Sea? The building looks AMAZING!

Thanks so much for your help.
    -scott