Thread: Language Issues

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Language Issues

So for all you English speaking people who have been lucky enough to visit the Tokyo Disney Resort how did you guys deal with the language issues.

Did you come across any problems

Do any of the Cast Members speak English

How about the rest of the people you encountered

I really want to go but the languege difference is whats putting me off booking that trip.

Don't let language be a barrier. Most of the important signage for attractions, shops and restaurants within TDR is in English. Recorded announcements are in English. Many Cast Members go out of their way to help you using some English. Some CM's are quite good in English. One can live in Tokyo fairly well without knowing much Japanese, actually.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    It wasn't a problem. If I HAD to speak to someone, they would find someone to help me in Engrish. But most of the time I could just point and what I needed and hold all my money in my hands and they would just take what they needed.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Unknowing Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    It wasn't a problem. If I HAD to speak to someone, they would find someone to help me in Engrish. But most of the time I could just point and what I needed and hold all my money in my hands and they would just take what they needed.

lol, I loved the "engrish" we got when visiting. We got some very interesting phrases, including someone telling us he loved Colorado and hopes to visit Disneyplanet there and play in the warm ocean.

Duck!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angryrubberduck
    lol, I loved the "engrish" we got when visiting. We got some very interesting phrases, including someone telling us he loved Colorado and hopes to visit Disneyplanet there and play in the warm ocean. Duck!

Now, imagine that same guy explaining a special second park after 4pm ticket. Gate agent - "For you special ticket for four." Me - "we get four tickets for the price of one?" Ticket Agent - "Row, ticket, one you get. Then you come back to four." Me - " So we stay in this park until 4 and then we can go to the other park?" Agent - smiles like he has no idea what I'm say. Me - Hold all my money in front of me and he takes what he needs and issues me 2 tickets which fully explain what they are for. Thank goodness.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

I am of Japanese/Chinese origins but speak no Japanese. So you can imagine I probably just frustrated CM's during my visit. But like everyone else, I found it easy to operate within the theme park. Again, like everyone else I relied on pointing to things I wanted on their English menus and occassionally relied on their broken English.

*Getting* to the theme park with no English may pose a problem. If you pre-plan your route you'll have no problems....but veer off that route and you're in trouble .

Think of all the people from all over the world that visit our lovely parks here... so many different languages and it sure seems like everyone seems to manage okay. I've never been to a "foreign park" but I can imagine it wouldn't be that bad... especially since I'm so used to Disney parks and their formats.

Don't let a simple thing like language barrier hold you back!

Hehe... "Lost in Translation" Disney style!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainfully
    Hehe... "Lost in Translation" Disney style!
    Speaking of that movie, it was mostly filmed around the area where I go to work. I've been to that hotel and karaoke room plenty of times. Can't say I've been to that strip club though. Also, I heard that the cast of the film did visit Tokyo DisneySea during their stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainfully
    Think of all the people from all over the world that visit our lovely parks here... so many different languages and it sure seems like everyone seems to manage okay.
    Good point. My Japanese friends here ask me about things to do when they visit the US and Paris Disney parks. They almost never ask or mention anything about a language problem.

I've been twice and neither time was the language barrier an issue. I lived in Japan for about a year and I don't speak Japanese and it never was an issue. Just go and have fun with it. I felt more uncomfortable at Paris Disneyland than I did in Japan because of the language. The one thing to look out for is if you're buying any type of souvenir book there. They come in so many different languages. I accidently bought the history of Paris Disneyland in German. Oh well, at least I can look at the photos.

• Banned User

Language issues? At TDR? *what* language issues?

Go visit! You will have fun. That Six-Flags old man on the ads would have a heart attack out of his enjoyment at TDR.

No serious language problems

I went over to TDL & TDS in late November and had a great time, most of the signs are in English first with Japanese subtitles. Some of the entertainment is even done in English. The majority of the CMs know enough English to get by and in the rare case they didn't they would find someone who did. We also stayed in downtown Tokyo for a week afterwords and found the langue issues there to be very minimal as well.

The people of Tokyo in general and Disney Resort in particular were some of the most friendly well mannered people I have encountered anywhere. Thank you all.