Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Tokyo Disneyland-Is it better than Disneyland?

I must say after visiting Tokyo Disneyland, it was like going to Disneyland for the first time. Everything was so CLEAN, and the cast members were so polite and helped me when I couldn't understand what they were saying. I can safely say that TDL has the best service out of all the parks I've seen, and the best restaurants as well.

This aspect of the park was better than its Californian counterpart, but I was wondering. To all you frequent Disney visitors, does Tokyo Disneyland surpass Disneyland?

If we were to compare the park alone based on rides and theming, which park would win? Disneyland has about 60 attractions compared to Tokyo Disneyland's 45 attractions. I think the layout at Disneyland better, for the narrow pathways give you a more magical feel of immersion and charm. Secondly, Disneyland seemed to be filled with more details than Tokyo Disneyland. Entertainment wise, I think I prefer Disneyland. No show at TDL compares to Remember...Dreams Come True and Fantasmic!

Let's expand the comparison chart. How does TDL compare to all other Disney parks? I was simply using Disneyland as an example because I believe these two parks to be the best of the best, with DisneySea in third place and Disneyland Parc in Paris placing fourth.

Let me just place my opinions on DisneySea and DLP. DisneySea is very very well themed, and the details rival that of Disneyland but it was a bit short on attractions. If only it could balance it's excellent theming for more attractions. Disneyland Paris is almost as beautiful as Disneyland itself but it was quite poorly maintained. Their water was all greenish and had trash everywhere. Attractions wise, it's pretty good. It doesn't come close to matching Disneyland's 60 attractions but the quality of the rides come close to matching Disneyland. Phantom Manor was one attraction that stuck out in mind. One thing I noticed was that they lacked the new lands that Disneyland and TDL had. They only had the basic 5 lands, compared to Disneyland's 8 lands and TDL's 7 lands.

But enough of my blabbering, and on to your opinions. Which Disney park reigns supreme?

• Banned User

Re: Tokyo Disneyland-Is it better than Disneyland?

This is where TDLFAN takes over...he is the expert and always does a good Disneyland to Disneyland comparison.

• Dept. 41 and Club 55

It's the Japanese culture that keeps it that way. And the fact that the resort isn't owned by Disney, but a third-party licensee also has something to do with it. If they don't keep it up to Disney standards, they lose the license, and well, if they lose that, it all goes.

Tokyo Disneyland does a lot of things in the classic "Disney" way from yesteryear. The cleanliness, service and atmosphere of the Cast Members, especially, are reminiscent of my visits to the original Disneyland in the 70's. However, in the overall scheme of things, I'd choose Anaheim over Tokyo as my favorite Disney park in the world, but only by a small margin.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    Disneyland Paris is almost as beautiful as Disneyland itself but it was quite poorly maintained. Their water was all greenish and had trash everywhere. Attractions wise, it's pretty good. It doesn't come close to matching Disneyland's 60 attractions but the quality of the rides come close to matching Disneyland. Phantom Manor was one attraction that stuck out in mind. One thing I noticed was that they lacked the new lands that Disneyland and TDL had. They only had the basic 5 lands, compared to Disneyland's 8 lands and TDL's 7 lands.
    I always find it peculiar that in almost every one of these comparisons, everyone mentions the slightly murky water but no one mentions how DLP's entire Main Street and castle blow those parts of Disneyland right out of the water (parts that are crucial to say the least). Or how great it is that the entrance is formed by the Disneyland Hotel instead of the scattering of campy ticket booths the other parks have. And no one can actually articulate why Disneyland's POTC is superior to DLP's besides the old "Walt (almost) touched it" argument, which is supposed to win over the fact that DLP's has the long ride of DL's, the incorporated restaurant of DL's, the winding queue of WDW's and its own splash of creativity thrown in to combine it all. It seems to me that for a large part, people don't really want to go anywhere beside Disneyland.

But this thread was intended to assess Tokyo Disneyland, a place I've never been, so I apologise.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots
    I always find it peculiar that in almost every one of these comparisons, everyone mentions the slightly murky water but no one mentions how DLP's entire Main Street and castle blow those parts of Disneyland right out of the water (parts that are crucial to say the least). Or how great it is that the entrance is formed by the Disneyland Hotel instead of the scattering of campy ticket booths the other parks have. And no one can actually articulate why Disneyland's POTC is superior to DLP's besides the old "Walt (almost) touched it" argument, which is supposed to win over the fact that DLP's has the long ride of DL's, the incorporated restaurant of DL's, the winding queue of WDW's and its own splash of creativity thrown in to combine it all. It seems to me that for a large part, people don't really want to go anywhere beside Disneyland.

But this thread was intended to assess Tokyo Disneyland, a place I've never been, so I apologise.
    C'est excellent.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

I think it has been established (and I have mentioned it here multiple times) that DLP is the prettiest DL park built so far, however, the maintenance issues are a problem there.

As for TDR_fan's assesment...he has some very valid points from his point of view/likes and dislikes etc etc.

Me? I value good efficient service, CM's excellence, maintenance, variety in entertainment, special events etc etc... and while at the moment..DL is giving TDL a run for their money with their special 50th anniversary event and renewed maintenance initiatives... I still take TDL and TDS as the best of the bunch based on those items that are important to me in a Disney park. I do not bother with such little things as how many rides one park has versus the other or how is the quality of food here and there...etc.. which is reason why I have given HKDL good marks right out of the gate when everyone else says it's a crappy park because it has 6 rides.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    which is reason why I have given HKDL good marks right out of the gate when everyone else says it's a crappy park because it has 6 rides.
    I understand where you're coming from... but six rides is bad.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots

The castle was one thing I didn't like about the park. It looked like an oversized doll house, just like Cinderella Castle. I'm one of the few people that dislike the castle. Fantasyland was good, but I prefer the European village like setting of Disneyland's with the Matterhorn as a background.

I didn't like the placing of some attractions. I felt Pirates didn't belong in Adventureland, and should have been placed in a New Orleans like setting. This is where Disneyland's Pirates has the advantage. The rest of the park is beautiful, but I think their service/maintainence could use a lot of work.

Some parts were better in Disneyland (Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Toontown, Fantaslyand, Critter Country, ) and some parts were better in Paris, like Discoveryland. Disneyland has more themed areas, nad the whole "Rivers of America" works better in Disneyland, as it is right beside New Orleans Square with the Haunted Mansion. I liked the 30's outpost atmosphere of Disneyland's Adventureland, as compared to Paris's mix of Caribbean and Arabian. There are many more things I can list about Disneyland but I will leave it at this.

A lot of Disneyland Paris is unused space, which ruins the feeling of being engulfed in the theming which you get at Disneyland. The intimacy feeling you get at Disneyland is not found here.

As far as attractions/shows go, I still prefer Disneyland by far. I understand that Paris has Wishes, which I do not like very much but Disneyland has Fantasmic and an awesome fireworks show. Disneyland has more classics such as Splash Mountain, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Indiana Jones Adventure (which fits in Adventureland very well), Jungle Cruise, and the Enchanted Tiki Room.

I'm not saying Disneyland Paris is bad for anything....just that I think Disneyland is a superior park.

I would take WDW Over TDL anyday.

As a patriotic American who has visited WDW a half dozen times, Disneyland more times than I can count, and Tokyo Disneyland only once, in my opinion....

Tokyo Disneyland beats Disneyland USA hands down! Design plays into it a bit, and pictures of Paris Disneyland look stunning. At Tokyo there are a few Florida-style design elements that are inferior to Disneyland, such as their kitschy Tomorrowland entrance and the odd placement of New Orleans Square between Main Street and Adventureland. But those are minor compared to the overall experience.

And what sets that overall experience far, far above anything you could ever get at an American park is the amazing service of the Tokyo CM's! Those kids working in that park are truly living Walt's dream and are carrying the torch that Anaheim dropped about 15 years ago. I look at the sloppy, lazy CM's shlepping around Anaheim now with baggy pants and punky hair and I think "What happened here? How did the standards drop so low?"

There's no way to describe Tokyo Disney Resort sufficiently, you just have to experience it for yourself.

It's like if you only stayed in Howard Johnsons or a Holiday Inn for the last 30 years, and you just kept comparing and contrasting the HoJo's to the Holiday Inn on Internet message boards, and that was your only point of reference. But then, somehow, you ended up for a few days at a fancy Ritz-Carlton and you suddenly realized "HEY! This hotel is vastly superior to the ones I've been staying in my whole life! I never knew a hotel could be this good!". That is what it's like to experience Tokyo Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe
    I would take WDW Over TDL anyday.
    OK... question for you Monkeyjoe.... Are you one of those who refers to the Magic Kingdom as "WDW"??? Just wondering because I feel is extremely unfair to compare the vast entertainment and resorts options that WDW offers over TDL's one park. <--that based on the way you worded it. So which one is it??? You would take the MK over TDL? *or* you would take the entire WDW resort over Tokyo Disney Resort (which includes TDL/TDS/ Ikipiari/ TDR Line monorails/ Miracosta Hotel/ Ambassador Hotel and several official resorts???

Now... going to the original question.. Is TDL better than the original DL? Yes and No. There are things that are done in a better fashion at TDL... cleanliness and maintenance, efficiency of the CMs in almost every department within the park..with superior and effective CM-guest interactions, much varied, better and lavish entertainment options as special events as opposed to DL of late.

...That is not to say that DL can't put up a fight.... the 50th anniversary related events have been great!! They have better fireworks than TDL, better, charming and more intimate atmosphere in the park as opposed to TDL's expansiveness, more attractions (many unique to CA) over TDL, CMs who for the most part seem much more on top of things are freindlier over the WDW/DLP CMs, and with DL's renewed emphazis in maintenance.. they are getting very close to TDL's standards which in my book... is a great thing.

...So this is a tough call for me... Which is better?? I honestly give DL the edge for being the original, but TDL runs a more effective operation.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    I didn't like the placing of some attractions. I felt Pirates didn't belong in Adventureland, and should have been placed in a New Orleans like setting. This is where Disneyland's Pirates has the advantage. \
    So basically you won't accept anything that isn't how the original park was? I mean Disneyland's castle is the only good one...Disneylands Fantasyland was the best...yikes. The ride is Pirates of the Caribbean. To me a Caribbean setting makes so much more sense for the ride than a New Orleans downtown. Yes Pirates visited New Orleans, yes the original looks fine...but things can change and DLP's execution of a setting for PoTC looks great. I mean Pirates went to Savannah, Ga too...how come there is no Savannah Square for PoTC loading?

• Banned User

I wouldn't phrase it the way TDLFAN has put it: Disneyland (Anaheim) or Tokyo Disneyland. That doesn't take a person's total experience into account.

To really judge this fairly, you have to compare the Disneyland RESORT (Anaheim) with the Tokyo Disney Resort.

Anaheim has Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure, Downtown Disney, and the hotels: Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel, and Paradise Pier Hotel.

Tokyo has Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea, Ikspiari (their indoor shopping mall version of Downtown Disney), and in addition to Disney's Hotel Miracosta and the Disney Ambassador Hotel, there are five or six hotels on the property that are a short walk from the monorail and are all superb (they're so far above the dreck that surrounds Disneyland it isn't even worth discussing).

When you compare the two resorts, I give the edge to Tokyo in almost every category, but combining all aspects (taking both parks into account at both resorts), plus the shopping and the hotels, there is no comparison--The Tokyo Disney Resort blows Anaheim out of the water.

Take it one piece at a time:

1) Disneyland vs. Tokyo Disneyland: both great parks, both clean, both good food (better in Tokyo), both have all the classic versions of the rides (better in Tokyo because everything is clean and fully functional all the time--I have never seen an AA figure not working, and some of the figures in Tokyo are more advanced versions than those in the US, such as the Pirate Captain of the Wicked Wench). And the cast members in Tokyo are by far the best in the world. They are PROUD to be there.

2) Second Park: DCA vs. DisneySea. hahahah--can't even make this comparison with a straight face (and I greatly enjoy DCA). Tokyo DisneySea just kicks its *** into the gutter.

3) Shopping: Ikspiari in Tokyo is far more extensive and glamorous than the successful and enjoyable Downtown Disney in Anaheim.

4) Hotels: Only the Grand Californian Hotel even has a chance here, and it pales in comparison to the Hotel Miracosta, Disney Ambassador, and even the Hilton Tokyo Bay (which is where I stay). The latter is only a two minute walk to the Disney Resort Liner (monorail) station.

There's just no doubt that the Tokyo Disney Resort is the nicest in the world in almost every category when you compare all elements. Disneyland Paris is the prettiest park, and it has some great versions of classic rides (everyone always talks about Phantom Manor and Pirates, but their version of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is a killer), but Walt Disney Studios takes the whole resort right down the toilet.

• Minion

One thing I like about the original Disneyland is that it has many unique attractions not found at other Magic Kingdoms. I have personally visited Disneyland Paris, and aside from the entrance area, it's not much prettier than Disneyland.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast