Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: TDR_Fan's TDR Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan
    Well it's Winnie the Pooh, of course it's not realistic. I guess this is your personal taste, but I think that there is a lot more to the ride that makes it just magical. The beginning sequence, where the book comes to life made me gasp the first time and Tigger's bouncing room is just soooo cool and fun! The scenes are a lot better looking than other dark rides. Let's compare it to say...Snow White and the comparison is easy. They are colorful, fun sets that look very nice, as if they were pulled right out of the book.
    I agree that it's fun, but the storyline is not the best out of any attraction. If I were to count overall experience (queue, story, immersion, ride), I'm sure even Splash Mountain can beat it. By the way, my favorite attraction at TDL was Splash Mountain.

• Minion

~July 19~ PART 3

We woke up pretty late, around 8:30- 9:00. By the time we got ready, it was already 9:30. We headed down to the lobby, and made our way to the "Tokyo DisneySea Station". It's not too far from the MiraCosta, so it can easily be accessed. We had gotten free passes for the monorail when we checked in, so we didn't have to waste time buying tickets.

When we arrived, we made our way to the boarding platform. All you do is put your monorail ticket into one of the gates and wait for it to open. It's very easy to use, but make sure you have your ticket when you exit the monorail. The "Tokyo Disneyland Station" is only about 5 minutes away, so we got there pretty quickly.

After exiting, we made our way to Tokyo Disneyland! It was raining very heavily, much more than the day before. We wore our ponchos, and entered the park. Luckily, World Bazaar has this cover which protects you from the rain. It also seemed more crowded than yesterday, so we quickly made our way to Fantasyland.

When we made our way to Fantasyland, I saw the entrance to Pooh's Hunny Hunt. The standby time was listed at 15 minutes, something I thought impossible for the most popular attraction in the park. I wanted to get Fastpasses, but decided to ride it first before the standby line grew longer. All the overflow areas were roped off, and we got inside the book within a few minutes. The queue is very simple and cartoonish, but nice to look at. When we arrived at the loading station, we boarded the large hunny pots.

The ride vehicles are amazing, and move randomly all over the place. There is no track throughout the whole ride, and the vehicles seem to move, stop, reverse, and spin all on their own. The storyline is basically the same as all the other Winnie the Pooh attractions. However, this ride uses 3D sets instead of painted flats. I still wasn't too impressed, as I felt it was too cartoonish still. One can only like Winnie the Pooh to a certain level. Like I said before, I still prefer the highly detailed sets of the other E-tickets, especially Journey to the Center of the Earth.

After our ride on Pooh's Hunny Hunt, I went to get Fastpasses for it. The rain was not letting up, and was soaking our park tickets. I was afraid that the tickets would get ruined, and that I wouldn't be able to get any more Fastpasses. After getting Fastpasses, we went to Toontown. There, we rode Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. I also wanted to ride Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, even though I had already rode it before at Disneyland. Plus, I had heard lines peaked around 150 minutes. We headed to Tomorrowland and luckily, the standby line was only 30 minutes. We headed inside and enjoyed the queue, which is identical to Disneyland's. The ride is also identical to Disneyland's, so I won't explain it in detail. I have bad hand to eye coordination, so I only got 50,000 points.

After Buzz, our Fastpass time was up for Pooh's Hunny Hunt. We decided to get Fastpasses for Buzz before the lines grew. Before heading back to Fantasyland, we rode Space Mountain. The track was the same as Disneyland's, but there is no music playing in the ride. I wasn't too impressed with it, but we only waited 5 minutes anyways. After that, one member of our family wanted to go on Grand Circuit Raceway. It was probably the worst ride we went on during our stay. The seats were wet, and got my pants all wet. Plus, I found it extremely boring.

After that tedious ride, we went back to Fantasyland. The standby line for Pooh's Hunny Hunt was now 45 minutes, so we used our Fastpasses to get another ride. That was probably the longest line I saw during our visit, with the exception of the 60 minute wait for Journey to the Center of the Earth on Friday. After Pooh's Hunt, we rode it's a small world. It only had a 10 minute wait, but my family members still disliked it.

Everybody was starting to complain about their wet clothes, so we headed back to the hotel. I wanted to ride more attractions, but it was no use. I got some more Fastpasses for Pooh's Hunny Hunt to collect though.
    At 2:30, I looked outside our room window to see if Legend of Mythica was being performed. Unfortunately, the cancellation speil came up.

Around 4:30, we headed out to TDL again. The rain had stopped, so we didn't have to wear ponchos. As soon as we entered the park, we rode Pooh's Hunny Hunt twice. After, we headed over to Critter Country to ride Splash Mountain. The Fastpass distribution was ended, so we had to use the standby line. Luckily, it was also a walk-on like many other attractions. Tokyo Disneyland's version of Splash Mountain is easily the best out of the three. The queue is very nice, and I prefer it to Disneyland's. It's also longer I think.

The ride itself is far superior. Many scenes are not seen in Disneyland's version, and the layout is also much better. TDL's Splash Mountain uses two by two seating, which includes lap bars. I didn't really prefer one over the other. The drop was much smoother though.

After riding Splash Mountain, we decided to go back in line and ride it again. We rode it again twice, and headed back to Fantasyland. When we arrived, we went on Haunted Mansion. It's almost identical to the one at WDW, so there's no point elaborating on it. The CM's really get into the mood, and never smile at you once.

After Haunted Mansion, we headed to Frontierland. We all wanted to ride Big Thunder Mountain, and the standby time was listed at 5 minutes. However...we ended up waiting close to 15 minutes. It was worth it though, and I enjoyed it very much. I couldn't really tell much of a difference between TDL's version and the other versions, but I'm sure they're there. The layout seemed much different.

After Big Thunder Mountain, we headed to Adventureland. We went on Pirates of the Caribbean once, and then looked for a place to eat dinner. We ended up buying some cold wraps. I had one shrimp, and one beef. I also had this soda called a "kirin orange". It was pretty good, but not too filling. As we ate, the "Tokyo Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade Dreamlights" began. We took about 20 minutes to enjoy the parade. I was still hungry after, so I bought a turkey leg at a cart near Frontierland.

After stuffing myself, we went back to ride Splash Mountain again. We rode it twice again, even though I wanted to ride it yet another time after. I didn't have time though, as Disney Magic in the Sky was beginning. The fireworks were shot right above us, and looked very huge and impressive. Everybody around us oohed and ahhhed. After the 5 minute display, we wanted to ride Splash Mountain again. However...the crowds who had gathered to watch the fireworks stormed into the standby line. Who knows how long the line could've gotten.

We decided to head back to Fantasyland to ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt again. It was only a 5 minute wait, and the Fastpass line had been closed. We got on the hunny pots without any delay, and enjoyed another fantastic ride on Pooh's Hunny Hunt. We had wanted to request separate vehicles since there were no people in line, but didn't want to go to the trouble of explaining it to the CM's.

It was about 9 o clock after we rode Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Everybody except me was starting to get tired, and complained of sore feet. I had no choice but to take them back to the hotel. I really wanted to stay until park closing, but didn't want to force them to stay. We slowly made our way to the park entrance and enjoy the sights on the way. Cinderella Castle looks so pretty at night, and I still wish I had my camera at the time. I had left it at the hotel because I didn't want the rain to ruin it.

We arrived at the MiraCosta around 9:30, and had a nice, relaxing sleep. I was a bit sad as our visit was nearing an end. In my mind, I kept thinking I only had one full day left before we had to leave. Anyways, prepare for PART 4 tomorrow!

• Banned User

TDR-Fan wrote, "One can only like Winnie the Pooh to a certain level."

Overgeneralizing never really works: Considering the amount of Pooh merchandise and books sold (The Tao of Pooh has been selling to adults for years), many folks think you can't have too much Pooh.

Glad to hear your lines were so short. I thought this was supposed to be a hugely busy period?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara
    TDR-Fan wrote, "One can only like Winnie the Pooh to a certain level."

Overgeneralizing never really works: Considering the amount of Pooh merchandise and books sold (The Tao of Pooh has been selling to adults for years), many folks think you can't have too much Pooh.

Glad to hear your lines were so short. I thought this was supposed to be a hugely busy period?
    That's what I thought. Guess the rain detered most of the AP holders?

Regarding the Winnie the Pooh comment, I guess I'm just different. To tell you the truth, I actually like Winnie the Pooh as a character. In fact, I bought 3 plush dolls at Pooh Corner, 2 Winnie the Pooh ones, and one Tigger. Next to Mickey, I would put Winnie the Pooh as my favorite Disney character. It's just a ride BASED on Winnie the Pooh that I dislike. I was never a fan of the Winnie the Pooh rides at Disneyland and WDW. Add that to the fact that I prefer thrill based rides (except simulators), and you can be sure that it will never be my favorite ride, nor will I ever think it is the best attraction of all time. Besides the ride vehicles, there wasn't one part of the ride (except the bouncing room) that really impressed me. The story was average at best, and copied from the other Winnie the Pooh rides. I enjoy adventure in my attractions, another reason why dark rides bore me. To me, it's just a normal Winnie the Pooh attraction with mind boggling vehicles. Remember, it takes more than great technology to make a great ride. Pooh's Hunny Hunt is definitely great, but had it not used the trackless layout, I doubt many people would be impressed with the sets or the ride. WDW's Winnie the Pooh ride also has the bouncing room, on a lesser scale of course. The blustery day is nothing new to Winnie the Pooh rides, and the dream sequence is in all versions I believe. Even the Heffalumps and Woozles room is in the other Winnie the Pooh rides, but not nearly as impressive. So the sets themselves are nothing new to me, yet another reason why I wasn't "too" impressed.

I'm a guy who prefers elaborate settings and queues, so that's why Indy remained my favorite attraction for a while. Journey to the Center of the Earth took that spot after a while, mostly due to its even more detailed queue/sets.

I'm pretty sure that you agree Journey is a better ride overall (queue, story, immersion, ride) right?. Maybe one day I will finally appreciate Pooh's Hunny Hunt for what it is, but as of now, I just don't think it's "the best". I'm probably confusing a lot of people.....

• Sea Creature

Hm, that's a tough one. It really is just about impossible for me to decide between Journey and Pooh. I agree that Pooh wouldn't be nearly as impressive without it's ride vehicles, but it still does some things that are far above the others. The opening sequence is absolutely stunning, it kind of freaked me out when it happened. The sets are a little bigger and the fact that they don't have track makes them better and more open. They seem more real than just some room you pass through. I remember there was this certain awe I had with the Heffalumps and Woozles scene. There were lots of lighting and mirror tricks being used to make some of the other passengers look funny. And then of course, there's the bouncing room, hard to describe, just really fun, it makes me want to giggle like a little girl.

• Banned User

The Pooh ride in Orlando does not have a bouncing room. It has a short stretch of track that makes the vehicle move differently, but it is not at all the same as the room in Tokyo where the floor actually bounces up and down (something only possible because the vehicles are not on tracks).
    Also, all the figures in Tokyo are AAs, not statues. The entire ride is much more immersive.

You can't compare Journey to the Center of the Earth to Pooh's Hunny Hunt: the first is a thrill ride and the second is not. Apples and oranges.

Edited for typo
    Last edited by The Goddess Mara; 07-27-2006 at 07:36 AM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wow...day 3 was like the ideal Disney park day...no lines on anything.

I understand Tokyo has a villain walktrough in the Castle (or near it?) featuring the Horned King, did you happen to visit it?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken
    I understand Tokyo has a villain walktrough in the Castle (or near it?) featuring the Horned King, did you happen to visit it?
    It closed permanently a few months ago.

• Minion

The Pooh ride in Orlando does not have a bouncing room. It has a short stretch of track that makes the vehicle move differently, but it is not at all the same as the room in Tokyo where the floor actually bounces up and down (something only possible because the vehicles are not no tracks).
    Also, all the figures in Tokyo are AAs, not statues. The entire ride is much more immersive.

You can't compare Journey to the Center of the Earth to Pooh's Hunny Hunt: the first is a thrill ride and the second is not. Apples and oranges.
    I guess you're right. I still think Journey to the Center of the Earth is the best attraction though, but that's just my opinion.

• Sea Creature

Amen....the end.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Wow...day 3 was like the ideal Disney park day...no lines on anything.
    The most I waited for a ride (during my entire visit) was 40 minutes for Journey on the last day. I think it was because Friday attracts more guests.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    The most I waited for a ride (during my entire visit) was 40 minutes for Journey on the last day. I think it was because Friday attracts more guests.
    That's correct. Generally speaking, the days closer to weekends are busier. Here is the ranking:

1. Saturday
    2. Sunday
    3. Friday
    4. Monday
    5. Thursday
    6. Tuesday
    7. Wednesday

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Lol...sounds like America in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    It closed permanently a few months ago.
    That is a pity, is there any video or photo archive of it that anyone knows? I have seen a short video of the Horned King, but the rest is mystery to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast