Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Gay Man

Going to Tokyo in June!!!

We are set with plane tickets and hotel reservations to visit Tokyo for 9 days in early June. We will be staying in Shinjuku so we can best explore the city as well as the 2 Disney Parks and the Ghibli Museum.

I've been doing my research and have more than 9 days worth of things to do, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any advice about what to see before we left.

We will be spending one day each at the Disney Parks (these are the last 2 of the 10 Disney Parks to visit ) and a morning at the Ghibli. Other than that, parks, contemporary art exhibits and a few temples/shrines are high priorities as well as shopping for JPop, odd DVDs, plastic food and other cultural oddities.

So, has anyone spent time in Tokyo and have some "must sees" to add to our list?

• Banned User

Seems like you have it down pat. However, most people seem to think Shinjuku is the best area to stay and explore the city from there. I personally do not care for it as this part of the city is very congested and a bit too far to the west to get to other places (such as TDR and Ginza) in expeditious time. Plus, not much else to do in Shiyuku that would could not find anywhere else in the city, with the exception of visiting the twin tower goverment building and it's observation floor on top of it. But that is just me since I am not a fan of Shinyuku.

I guess all I could add is to check out the Roppongi area with many popular restaurants, Shibuya, Odaiba, Ginza, and Akihabara for shopping. Take the exporess train to Yokohama and explore that part of town, where they have a theme park with a huge ferris wheel and the Landmark Tower (Japan tallest building) Try to take a day tour to Mt. Fuji and Hakone, especially if you get to ride the bullet train back to Tokyo Station. I would give TDR 3 days, especially in June since it is the 'rainy season', and try to catch the special events at each park (TDL's Rock Around the Mouse, and TDS' Aladdin Whole New World) Have a good time on your vacation, and do give us the pleasure of a trip report afterwards.

• Minion FOREVER!

Ditto on what TDLFAN said about Shinjuku. It's "ok" (my aunt & family lived there for a time), but not my favorite part of Tokyo. The Shinjuku Gyoen (park) is pretty nice though.

One neat thing about Tokyo is it's districts (Roppongi, Shibuya, Ginza, etc). TDLFAN has a good list....Couple of other neat things to see in Tokyo: Meiji Shrine, Harajuku, Asakusa, Tsukiji fish market, Tokyo Tower, Imperial Palace, Ueno Park (w/ zoo).

Other things that may be of interest: Tokyo Dome, NHK Studiotown?, Ryogoku (sumo), Univ. of Tokyo

I would recommend also a day trip to Nikko as well as the day trip to Fuji-san
    and Hakone (if you have the time).

Wishing you a wonderful time in "Nippon"!

• insufferable know-it-all

Oooh! Have fun NA! Have yourself some oishii tonkatsu and sake for me!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Bending Unit

I would add you may want to try and visit the parks on weekdays (Tue - Thu), especially TDL.

But then, isn't that true of almost every Disney park in the world?

Oh and don't miss Pooh's Hunny Hunt in TDL.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez
    I would add you may want to try and visit the parks on weekdays (Tue - Thu), especially TDL.

But then, isn't that true of almost every Disney park in the world?
    No, not really. Historically Tuesdays are the busiest days at the MK. Over at TDR, weekdays is definitely better than Sundays, but there will always be a crowd at TDL. TDS is more manageable.

• Gay Man

Interesting information about Tuesdays! We were avoiding the weekends, but not concerned about the weekdays at all. The only day we have set so far is a Monday visit to the Ghibli Museum.

• Hedonist

Hmmmm, I'll be there around the same time - perhaps we can hook up?

¥

• Gay Man

You're a geek!

• Jaded CM

Personally, I'd pass on Tokyo Tower.
    On weekends you can mostly always see a wedding party at the Meiji Shrine. And the colorful crowds around the entrance are a sight for sure.
    There are only a few summer months when you are allowed to climb Mt. Fuji. Check ahead of time.
    The Daibutsu in Yokohama is neat. It's a giant Buddha. There are some good hiking trails there as well.
    Roppongi is great for all night partying. Beware though, the trains stop for the night. So if you don't want to be out all night, pay attention to that train schedule or pay a ton for a taxi.

Gambatte.

• Banned User

Great info up above as well^^^

have alot of fun.

• Gay Man

Ooooh! Good thoughts about the train. A certain pair of MC folks had to spend the night in a Paris Park because they missed the last train back to DLRP. Homeless in Japan is not one of my goals.

• Main Street Maniac

I just bought my tickets and look forward to go! Unfortunetely I'll be there the first two weeks of August, so we won't meet! ENJOY IT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast