Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Attractions that are worth it, no matter how long the wait

Those closures are OK by me.

Yeah, I thought I might try to venture away and see some of the historic shrines/museums. The other stuff, I don't see what I'd be interested in except maybe oogling an out-of-this-world cell phone or laptop somewhere, which seems like a waste of time.

Japanese pop culture as a whole is not up my alley. Not a big video game fan, not interested in watching much TV even though I'm aware some people love the bizarre game shows, and I don't get worked up over music bands of 17 year old girls or 28 year old men who dress more feminine than the girls.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I plan to explore some of Japan myself when I go but doubt I'll even make it out of Disney.

• Banned User

TOO BAD Sindbad (proper name spelling) will be closed during MickeyMania since it is one of Disney's best boat rides ever, and one he won't be affraid to ride since there are no drops, spills, thrills or chills during the ride, and Mania has been known to chicken out before riding such intense Disney experiences... Anyone wanna bet he won't ride JTTCOTE when he sees that HORRIBLE drop by the side of the volcano???

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Japanese pop culture as a whole is not up my alley. Not a big video game fan, not interested in watching much TV even though I'm aware some people love the bizarre game shows, and I don't get worked up over music bands of 17 year old girls or 28 year old men who dress more feminine than the girls.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
    There is a lot more to see, trust me. It is worth it to go walk around Shinjuku and Shibuya and just gawk at everything. The buildings, the people, the fashion, the pace, the crowd. This city is one of the most bizarre yet pleasant places on earth. You don't want to go half way around the world and miss it. There is also lots of traditional Japan to be seen in Tokyo as well. Senso-ji and the Meiji Shrine are great places to visit.

• Banned User

Gee.. and here I was totally wrong in believing the japanese were much more into American pop-culture more than anyone else in the World... I guess visiting Japan for the past 17 yrs have taught me nothing about them...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    TOO BAD Sindbad (proper name spelling) will be closed during MickeyMania since it is one of Disney's best boat rides ever, and one he won't be affraid to ride since there are no drops, spills, thrills or chills during the ride, and Mania has been known to chicken out before riding such intense Disney experiences... Anyone wanna bet he won't ride JTTCOTE when he sees that HORRIBLE drop by the side of the volcano???
    You know me, I love a good slow ride. Too bad about Sinbad, but the rest of everything else sounds good to go.

JTTCOTE is something I will definitely do, the underlying mechanics is essentially Test Track after all and I not only was disappointed to find it closed when I went to WDW, I actually WANTED to ride it. As for drops, I think having done Indy and Splash at DL and both US Space Mountains, I'm ready for whatever drop.

My chicken fears are more concerned about TOT, really. But it doesn't go upside down, and it doesn't really actually GO anywhere, so I also could enjoy that too just because there's no feeling of being flung forward with multiple Gs like M:S or RnRC. High-G accelleration and going upside-down are the things that keep me off rides. Motion simulators I don't enjoy, but I'll get in line for Stormrider anyway since it's a one of a kind. I think I'm going to try a simulator or two on the strip here pretty soon so I don't spend the whole ride with my teeth clenched. Heh.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    High-G accelleration and going upside-down are the things that keep me off rides.
    At the risk of giving the show away... get ready for one of the most thrilling High-G accellarations you ever experienced in a curved upward motion as you escape the Lava Monster at JTTCOTE. It will leave your breath behind... literally.

As for Stormrider... it's tame in nature because the simulator itself is so freaking HUGE!
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 08-18-2006 at 11:52 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    At the risk of giving the show away... get ready for one of the most thrilling High-G accellarations you ever experienced in a curved upward motion as you escape the Lava Monster at JTTCOTE. It will leave your breath behind... literally.
    Even though Journey is somewhat based on Test Track technology, I felt it was more intense than Test Track. For one thing, Journey actually has a drop. This drop is approached at very high speeds, so it gives quite a lot of airtime (more than Splash Mountain).

Secondly, having the high speed acceleration in the dark makes it seem much more intense and thrilling. I love it when they blast smoke at you just as you are about to accelerate!
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

I don't find Journey to the Center of the Earth any more intense than Test Track. There is a slight feeling you're going faster just out of the gate at Journey because it has a bit of Space Mountain quality since you're inside and it's dark when you're moving so it seems quicker. The drop is small and quick--not a big deal at all.

Tower of Terror is a great ride, and for coaster chickens like me (I won't do anything where you go upside down, so looped coasters are out, and so is California Screamin'), you can get used to TOT pretty quickly and enjoy it.

Mickeymania, if you want to get a good taste of Japanese culture, try going to see the Daibatsu (the Great Buddha) at Kamakura. It's a train ride from Tokyo (about 40 minutes). Even closer, in Tokyo, is Asakusa (pronounced A-socks-a), there is an enormous temple there and you can take the Tokyo subway to it. And, if you can make it to the Kabuki-za theater, that's even better.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara
    I don't find Journey to the Center of the Earth any more intense than Test Track. There is a slight feeling you're going faster just out of the gate at Journey because it has a bit of Space Mountain quality since you're inside and it's dark when you're moving so it seems quicker. The drop is small and quick--not a big deal at all.
    I thought Test Track was a bore. The technology involved is very innovative and impressive, but it lacked substance. The entire area including the queue and show building lacked theming. I know it was meant to look like a parking garage or whatever, but it just didn't appeal to me. I understand that the story is that you're in a testing facility for General Motors, but it just looked very odd and not up to Disney expectations. Imagine my excitement when I learned that Journey to the Center of the Earth used an upgraded version of the Test Track technology, and on a much grander scale too! Not only did they provide an interesting and successful storyline to the attraction, but the detail alone in the queue/ride is phenomenal; far more than any other attraction. Imagineers did not miss a single detail when designing this attraction....it's everywhere from the entrance area before the queue to the Fastpass machines to the Terravators to the actual journey. And the unloading station too! I'm a total detail freak/Disney aficionado, so that's why Journey to the Center of the Earth is such a hit for me. Simply the most elaborate attraction ever, and it would take hours to spot every little detail!

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara

Tower of Terror is a great ride, and for coaster chickens like me (I won't do anything where you go upside down, so looped coasters are out, and so is California Screamin'), you can get used to TOT pretty quickly and enjoy it.
    Tower of Terror borders the limit on what I can and can't handle. The amount of airtime during the drops are just below the maximum toleration for me. If there were to be longer/bigger drops, Tower of Terror would be out of the question for me. To me, Tower of Terror has a low re-ride factor. I make it a priority to ride 1-2 times each visit to DCA, and no more. After every ride on Tower of Terror, I have a slight headache so there's very little chance of me riding twice in a row, and it really depends on how well I'm feeling that day.

Sorry for going off topic!
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 08-20-2006 at 08:47 AM.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123